Audi owners in here!

Soldato
The 2018 A4 sport (midrange trim) model now has twin leather front and rear sensors, the satnav, heated fronts and some other bits and bobs that the previous model didn't have.
Basically putting the sport right back into the bracket the Technik one held, before they removed the technik trim.

Soldato
Hope not, lol.
It is still on 17s so hopefully wont feel every bump in the road.
Ii think it is the standard a4 suspension on the sport, the name sport referring to absolutely nothing inherent to the vehicle from what i can determine.
But who knows.

I ordered one to replace my technik anyway, find out in october.

Associate
IMG_1639_zpswi8huj7v.jpg

Man of Honour
I've spent weeks looking at smaller "sporty" coupes like the GT86 and MX5 but think that my practical head is coming back and I'm also a little loathed to give up the creature comforts that I currently have in my fairly high-spec Volvo S60 and have started investigating options on more "Exec" Coupes that will be more comfortable and spacious (albeit not as fun to drive) as a GT86. I've had a look at the BMW 4 Series, Audi A5 and Merc C Class but really the A5 has piqued my interest the most, always fancied an Audi and the old model doesn't look that different to the new one which also helps! I've spotted a 14 Plate 3.0 Tdi Quattro with the S-Tronic Auto which looks the business and seems to have all of the gadgets I could hope for.
My question is though, I guess that the old reputation of Audi generally being reliable should be true of these? Looking at a model with c25k on the clock which doesn't seem much, is there anything I should look out for?

Soldato
Soldato
My brother has a 3.0tdi A5 but 2012
Just make sure it has upgraded MMI ("high" I think it is called), xenons and anything else you want. Other stuff is a bonus really
Back seats are very tight for me at 6ft1. Couldn't do more than 30 minutes in them

Bare in mind the interior is beginning to look a little dated compared to the still current generation 4 series but the 4 series is hardly a great interior at the moment

Man of Honour
My brother has a 3.0tdi A5 but 2012
Just make sure it has upgraded MMI ("high" I think it is called), xenons and anything else you want. Other stuff is a bonus really
Back seats are very tight for me at 6ft1. Couldn't do more than 30 minutes in them

Bare in mind the interior is beginning to look a little dated compared to the still current generation 4 series but the 4 series is hardly a great interior at the moment

Yeah will need to check the MMI, its got the Bang + Olufsen upgrade but will check as I understand without MMI High that bluetooth streaming isn't possible..... Yeah the back seats might be a little tight, more usable than a GT86 though as I don't take a lot of folk around with me. Interior seems ok to me, perhaps because my last 2 cars aren't exactly modern interior wise (12' Qashqai and currently a 11' Volvo S60) agree on the 4 Series though, its not much to look at inside!

Soldato
Soldato
The interior isn't bad per se, just the screen and design is a little dated now but quality is still very good

Bang and olufsen is great, my brothers A5 has it also sounds very nice

Caporegime
Some of them will have MMI 3G+ with a SIM slot and Google maps integration, so not a completely "offline" generation of car.

The SIM slot sits between the two SD slots behind the drop down panel above the climate controls if it's there at all.

Associate
Historically, deals on RS models are few and far between, certainly don't hold out for any dealer/centre deposit contribution schemes. You might find that there are a few "ok" lease deals, but I'd doubt highly that there would be anything particularly stunning deal-wise.

I've looked at the RS3 Saloon, but I just can't justify it right now.

Can confirm, even though we have a good relationship with our local dealer and manager, they would not offer any discount or contribution on the FL RS3. Harder to negotiate when the order book first opens as well. I think a few people managed to get a friend/family discount or a trade in deal with a low mileage / well looked after RS3, but its not easy. Best deal I could get was a re-allocation of a demonstrator build slot to me, and GAP etc thrown in.

I've seen a few lease deals floating around, but with absolute poverty spec and the monthly cost jumping exponentially as soon as you start adding options.

Man of Honour
Well I had a test-drive of the A5 I had my eye on tonight, seems a nice car to drive, loads of power in the 3.0 TDI and the auto-gearbox seemed very smooth and nice, however I wasn't totally convinced on a couple of things, namely the steering which seems to lack any sort of involvement, I know there are meant to be ways to adjust this (Drive Select?) but I don't think this particular one was specced with it and also I didn't think the seats seemed that comfy but I'm sure with adjustment and time they might be ok.

Looks like it is the High MMI, with bluetooth streaming, although I did notice it doesn't have Audi Connect (no SIM slot), what would I actually be missing out on?

Caporegime
Well I had a test-drive of the A5 I had my eye on tonight, seems a nice car to drive, loads of power in the 3.0 TDI and the auto-gearbox seemed very smooth and nice, however I wasn't totally convinced on a couple of things, namely the steering which seems to lack any sort of involvement, I know there are meant to be ways to adjust this (Drive Select?) but I don't think this particular one was specced with it and also I didn't think the seats seemed that comfy but I'm sure with adjustment and time they might be ok.

Looks like it is the High MMI, with bluetooth streaming, although I did notice it doesn't have Audi Connect (no SIM slot), what would I actually be missing out on?
What age was it? Some models (like my A4 was) you can enable drive select in VCDS to give you control over the throttle response and steering (and in the case of automatics possibly even the shift speed).

Very simple to enable, took me all of 5 minutes.

You can also get the google maps satellite view overlay by means of a USB network connection using the AMI port, sure you don't get the actual audi connect services (you can't assign the car to "send to car" for example as the VIN won't be registered), but I found the satellite overlay and street view useful regardless. That was actually a hack that I personally discovered by taking my MMI unit apart to read the HDD in a PC to work out which USB NIC drivers it contained!

Man of Honour
What age was it? Some models (like my A4 was) you can enable drive select in VCDS to give you control over the throttle response and steering (and in the case of automatics possibly even the shift speed).

Very simple to enable, took me all of 5 minutes.

You can also get the google maps satellite view overlay by means of a USB network connection using the AMI port, sure you don't get the actual audi connect services (you can't assign the car to "send to car" for example as the VIN won't be registered), but I found the satellite overlay and street view useful regardless. That was actually a hack that I personally discovered by taking my MMI unit apart to read the HDD in a PC to work out which USB NIC drivers it contained!

2014 Model, I think you might be right on the VCDS thing though, would make a difference I think!

Soldato
Forget using drive select to try to improve the steering - it's best left in comfort. Yes it's very light but all the drive select modes like dynamic do is add artificial weight which actually masks what little feel there is. It's just a trick as far too many people associate steering weight with feel.

If you genuinely want more steering feel then I'd suggest an Audi might not be the best choice as they'd don't tend to excel this regard.

Caporegime
Was just about to order a Skoda Superb when I checked out A6s on carwow.

Whoa. 25% discount from RRP at 3.7% Apr on PCP, with large deposit contributions. Guessing they're just about to release a new one? But still, they're good cars at that money right?

Caporegime
I think we're due an A6 in 2018, but yes if you're happy with what the A6 offers and will be happy with the outgoing model further into your agreement (assuming you purchase one on finance) then they offer some great value at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom