Audi owners in here!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
A few weird anomalies compared to the S3 - you don't appear to be able to spec matrix lights and full leather is mandatory. Wouldn't be happy with either of those restrictions were I in the market for one.
Why would you NOT want full leather? Alcantara used cars looks naff and would put me right off.

Soldato
Any recommendations with regards to engine choice in the A4? Any particular engine to avoid with regards to reliability? Looking at 2.0 petrol and diesel models from 2012 onwards. Thanks!

Caporegime
1.8TFSI is typically more reliable than the 2.0TFSI, that said the later 2.0s are fine and don't suffer the oil consumption (and oil pump/pickup) problems of the early units, so the facelift should be fine. 2.0TDI is fine also, but not the most refined choice, the 3.0 is far smoother, but not all that frugal. My 136PS 2.0TDIe averaged over 55MPG during my 33,000 mile ownership. My 2.0TFSI A6 averaged mid 30s over 15,000 miles (but also suffered Oil Pump failure, it was however a 2007), it was far smoother than the diesel, but lacked mid range above 50MPH (and mine was remapped).

Soldato
You can spec matrix, Equipment > Exterior > Headlights > Matrix LED.

https://flic.kr/p/X9XudX

Ah yeah, my bad.

Why would you NOT want full leather? Alcantara used cars looks naff and would put me right off.

This is also true, Alcantara is an awful material, sold at a premium but actually as cheap as chips with all the hard wearing properties of a plate made of butter.

Nothing wrong with alcantara, have had it on numerous cars and never had a single issue with it. Comfortable, grippy and good looking.

Full leather, OTOH, is an affectation. Unless you need a wipe-clean surface, for kids etc, it's too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter (necessitating heating seats) and doesn't grip you at all. I've had far more issues with durability of leather (wrinkling etc) than with alcantara.

Regardless of personal preferences though, there should be a no-cost option of alcantara for those who don't want leather, just as there is in the S3.

Associate
Looking likely that the good lady will be getting a Q3 shortly. In terms of engine, is it worth the additional cost from upgrading from the 1.4 TFSI to the 2.0 TDI quattro. She is likely to be using it for commuting and out and about the local area, so limited motorway driving expected (maybe one or two trips per week)?

Likely to be S-Line trim.

Soldato
Soldato
It's based on the current Q3 which is a current generation Audi so it isn't that dated inside.

Nothing like as bad as the Q5 was until very recently.

Dunno what you have looked at but it is very dated and I was very unimpressed when I went to see one with parents a few weeks back + the MMI is a pain in the arse to use with a small screen as the controller is on the dash

Depending on budget may be something better available

Man of Honour
I did mean A3, yes. I guess my misplaced faith in Audi was a result of that current generation looking popup screen.

Another fine driveway ornament from Audi then, Mk5 Golf based, hilarious :D

Soldato
Soldato
I did mean A3, yes. I guess my misplaced faith in Audi was a result of that current generation looking popup screen.

and people are still buying these brand new :p

Much rather have a new tiguan (which is what my mum ordered incidentally instead of a used Q5/Q3)

Soldato

and people are still buying these brand new :p

There's your answer. If they can still sell shedloads of them then why not push the lifetimes as much as possible? Don't blame Audi, they're a business, blame the customers.

Much rather have a new tiguan (which is what my mum ordered incidentally instead of a used Q5/Q3)

Seen a few of the new Tiguans and really don't like the styling at the rear. There's something wrong about the way the side crease meets the top of the rear light clusters.

Now the new Volvo XC60 - that's a good looking thing!

Soldato
Soldato
Seen a few of the new Tiguans and really don't like the styling at the rear. There's something wrong about the way the side crease meets the top of the rear light clusters.

Now the new Volvo XC60 - that's a good looking thing!

True but the XC60 is a bit of a different price bracket
Think I would considernone over the new q5 anyhow it looks awesome inside! (though the q5 is great inside too)

Back
Top Bottom