Audi owners in here!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was watching for it this morning on my drive across town, and you do feel a little bite when slowing down to the roundabout and then getting back on the gas. Depending on how the car adapts to your driving style it may not be very noticeable.

On the TT forums both manual and auto gearbox drivers have some jerkiness, usually at low speed
It can look like I am kangarooing down the hill at work, its 10mph so a tricky 1st/2nd scenario, but its far worse in 2nd
Just thinking as I am typing, I wonder if I flicked it into neutral if i would just coast down roughly maintaining speed, its what 150 yards or so at a guess

I have a manual and occasionally it jerks around, I believe its the aggressive fuel saving kicking in and out.
Sounds a little worse for the autos, but IMHO is not the boxes themselves but the software in regards fuel efficiency causing the issues.

Soldato
Might depend upon whether it has a dry or wet clutch but sometimes I think the jerkiness is overstated. Certainly my A4 stronic is very smooth...

Mine is smooth. The only issue I have is if slow down very quickly for a roundabout to say 4mph or less and immediately want to set off quickly it can feel like it is hesitating or is not in right gear (when in auto). Rare though.

But if people think it is jerky going up/down through the gears then I think they may be driving it wrong. You need have you're foot on the accelerator at all times, including when downshifting. If I manually downshift a few times using a paddle without having my foot on the accelerator then it is jerky. Keep your foot on and it is smooth as butter.

Soldato
Mine is smooth. The only issue I have is if slow down very quickly for a roundabout to say 4mph or less and immediately want to set off quickly it can feel like it is hesitating or is not in right gear (when in auto). Rare though.
Tends to happen when the drive select is in auto, if the gear lever is pulled back into sport the lag just about vanishes. But I don't notice it in any setting now, I don't know but maybe perhaps I've just adapted to it. This was my first stronic and I was quite wary about having one having read about them on different forums, but for the traffic jam assist to work fully I thought it better to have one.
However I am very impressed with it and the gearbox suits the car very nicely and now, having read that the manual gearbox fitted to the current A4 isn't very good, I am glad I made the decision to go stronic and that's despite a parking solenoid failure after only 1100 miles that rendered the car immobile. However 100% reliable ever since...

At long last, should be picking up my new A5 Sportback on Tuesday, can’t wait!
You must post up pictures when you stop driving it. What's the spec?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
It’s an S-Line 2.0L (190) in Daytona grey pearlescent with S-Tronic, Tech pack, flat-bottomed steering wheel, power folding and heated mirrors with the interior LED lighting pack. :)
Pretty much same as mine but I got a few extra bits. You will love it mate I regularly get comments about how nice it is. The motor is plenty for every day use and gearbox is nice and smooth.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Picked my B9 A4 Avant up on Thursday. Very pleased.

'67 S-Line 2.0 TFSI 252ps Quattro S Tronic
Full leather interior
Tech pack
Pano roof
Advanced keys
360 cameras
City sense
Matrix LED headlights
Boot foot swipe thingy.l
Electric folding / heated mirrors
Electric / heated front seats

Hope to get some decent pics when I'm away.

Last edited:
Soldato
So here we go!

The 2018 S6 Avant, which will be replaced by the actual new S6 Avant in 2019 (based on the A6 that has just come out), was collected last Tuesday from the dealer on a pure lease hire, 35months at £430 a month.
To sweeten the deal away from an online leasehire company, we were given 3 options to choose from and you only pay for the most expensive.

We spec'd:
Audi S6 Avant Black Edition in Ibis white (could only choose black or white)
Black Valcona Leather (std)
Red calipers
Pano roof
Parking pack (self park, cameras all around jobbie)

The drive:
Nicer than the M5. More supple and smooth, far less urgency and you don't feel like you have to give it the beans all the time. Part of that will be down to the 19" alloys Vs the 20" on the M5. The car soaks up bumps as if they genuinely are not there, again, thanks largely to the air suspension, which can occasionally give a sense of body roll, but quickly adapts to firm up as required. The 450bhp 4litre V8 is an incredibly good engine. Again, ultra smooth and very refined, it's less in your face than the M5 and sounds and feels more relaxed. You 100pc notice the power disadvantage in mid gear acceleration, however, some of that is down to the smoothness of the car and cabin and the delivery of the power. You do have to look twice before you realised you are actually going quite fast. You are also very aware of the 4wd system, in some ways good, some others bad. Good in that you can move away from a junction into any gap and the car will lock in and make it happen. In the M5, you actually had to pick your battles because sometimes the rear tyres would be grabbed by the brakes to stop slip, especially on damp or low temp mornings, or where the surface of the junction was lose. You definitely feel a sense of being pulled and pushed at the same time. That, however, does also make the front wheels skip when pushing on over drain covers or bumps in the road, where you notice a FWD car pulls the steering in your hand. That was never something you experienced in the BMW so can take a bit of getting used to.

The boot is huge, especially with the seats down. The perfect car is probably very much the RS6 Avant in that respect because BMW do not see an M5 Touring as a relative market (the last (and only?) M5 Touring being 2007 - E61), both Merc and Audi have offerings here which are good sellers.

The exhaust note is great. Much nicer than the M5 in a more subtle way. It also cracks easier on the downshift than the M5 did so it get's a lot of attention when sat idling or being a bit more spirited with it.

Interior:
Generally speaking, it's a very comfortable place to sit. Although not as much adjustment as the M5, the Audi Sports seats are very comfortable. It's a more claustrophobic interior to say, the F10 or G30, and feels much more like the E60 era of cabin space. Having said that, I don't suffer from claustrophobia and it's always nice to be able to easily put your hand up the other halfs skirt / dress. MMI is woeful however. It's a complete joke for a car that is circa £50k, even spec'd (which we didn't) it wouldn't have been a lot better. BMW update their iDrive through a cars lifecycle whereas it appears Audi do not. I have an SD card with maps on FFS. The last gen iDrive in the E60 (CIC) (2010) is better than this 2018 Audi MMI and that's really poor. We've got the BOSE sound system though which makes up for it.

Overall:
Really quite happy with this move to the dark side, but have had two weeks of post M5 depression because not a lot can hit that spot! :)

Associate
Nice car and seems like a really good deal, congrats. Yes it really needs the tech pack to not totally embarrass itself against its newer rivals. Does this mean you also have the monochrome DIS? Those wheels are also 20" btw.

Soldato
Nice car and seems like a really good deal, congrats. Yes it really needs the tech pack to not totally embarrass itself against its newer rivals. Does this mean you also have the monochrome DIS? Those wheels are also 20" btw.

Trust me, they're not. They clearly say 19" on the side :)

It's coloured MMI and colour DIS

Associate
Those wheels are 20s. And if it's colour DIS you don't have SD card maps either then?

Edit: If you don't mind my asking, where did you get this deal? I have heard about good deals on S6s but looking it up the deals I see are almost double what you're paying. Ta.

Back
Top Bottom