Australia disabled migrant policy

Caporegime
This shocked me somewhat. Legal migrants to Australia are being denied visas or told to leave if their children are disabled as they are a burden to the economy. Let’s remember, Australia invites these people in the first place to fill vital skills shortages and once there and working, they have been paying taxes all the time they are there.

If we ordered a legal migrant to leave because their children were disabled and a financial burden, there would be a total meltdown, and rightly so. It all seems very off to me.

Last edited:
This shocked me somewhat. Legal migrants to Australia are being denied visas or told to leave if their children are disabled as they are a burden to the economy. Let’s remember, Australia invites these people in the first place to fill vital skills shortages and once there and working, they have been paying taxes all the time they are there.

If we ordered a legal migrant to leave because their children were disabled and a financial position, there would be a total meltdown, and rightly so. It all seems very off to me.

New Zealand is similar iirc.

As an example

If we ordered a legal migrant to leave because their children were disabled and a financial burden, there would be a total meltdown, and rightly so. It all seems very off to me.

New Zealand does the same thing. Every migrant gets medical tests and if the cost of their medical treatment (which is free because healthcare is free in New Zealand) takes up much of the taxes they're expected to pay from working then their applications can be declined

Some migrants with serious conditions have managed to get around this; New Zealand allows migrants to show if they can afford private medical treatment then they get an exemption - this is usually proved by having a significant amount of cash in a bank account

Last edited:
As a certain bunch in the Illegal Immigration thread would say - too right, they are scum and a waste of oxygen for this society (this is them after not reading the news story, missing the context completely).

In other news, Australia has a questionable stance on a topic? Colour me surprised.

Countries are always ran as a business when it comes to the people who live there, penny pinching all the way.
more countries should be like aus.

if it's not economic migrants, its disability migrants, or people taking holidays to give birth or get free treatment, the brits living in spain etc should be told to do one :p

yea it sucks but Aus can't be the worlds hospital, leave that for the NHS.

these articles usually only tell one side of the story too, skim reading I can't find any info about the couple pictured, does it even say where they are from?

when did they arrive in AUS? what kind of VISA did they have? why didn't they become naturalised citizens?

time and time again we see aus kicking out brits, they usually live there for 10-20 years but never got permanent citizenship....

Another family in the article

Their son Shaffan was born in 2014 with a rare genetic condition and a damaged spinal cord. He needs around-the-clock care. The couple, originally from Pakistan, intended to return eventually, but Shaffan's birth changed everything. Now, getting on a plane would risk his life
tough luck I'd say, they had the chance, they didn't want to be Australian until they needed to be.

seems like a smart move to deport people who don't contribute to the state.
The country with which you hold citizenship should be responsible for you., charity begins at home... not in someone elses country.

AUS has their own disabled people to take care off

heres how tough Aus is on non citizens

there's literally hundreds of similar stories on google.
Everyone knows it and still doesnt become an aus citizen even though they live there over a decade and no doubt could have easily

no doubt all these families are in the exact same situation but not all of them have a disabled child to pull the heart strings

Last edited:
Australia and NZ are not interested in people who are coming in just to suck the system dry. They've cut down on those coming in with conditions just to access our free healthcare, they've also cut down on allowing retired parents of migrants in so they get free healthcare as well

Last edited:
That is pretty crap if true. I'll let dowie dismantle the article word for word and chime in then.

It's true but also standard in other countries like Canada, New Zealand etc.

They're not running a charity, it's quite standard for example to require a minimum income or to recruit certain skills. And so similarly if a country has universal healthcare then someone with a costly medical condition isn't necessarily a net gain for them either. Perhaps the UK ought to look at this too.

Conversely, if you want to move to the good old USA where they don't have universal healthcare then they don't care as much, that's on your future employer and their insurance scheme etc. Their interest is more just are you highly talented in your field or eligible for a job that they can't recruit an American for etc.

Last edited:
Yep, when we came back to nz in 2015, my wife (UK Citizen) had to have a full medical exam in London for her visa application. Does not matter that I'm a kiwi and we are marred. They don't want people who are going to be a burden on the state.

Let’s be honest, very few people actually care about the disabled, outside of platitudes.

Ableism is still rife in this country and I’m not surprised countries with economies worse than our own don’t want to take them on.

I’ve heard people at work come out with things like “Everyone has some kind of disability” and “There’s nothing wrong with your mind, you’re smart”.

Haven’t reform (lol) said they’d abolish the equality act?

don't australia have an under 35's? rule anyway, plus,
isn't the disabled issue a caveat on having an NHS type system which would have to fund the care, versus USA where you'd just be left in poverty.

I don't see the issue?

Surely this information is available before the person applies for immigration?

Also the article is quite vague, they weren't told to leave but they couldn't stay indefinitely? I assume their visa wasn't permanent anyway?

Last edited:
Yep, when we came back to nz in 2015, my wife (UK Citizen) had to have a full medical exam in London for her visa application. Does not matter that I'm a kiwi and we are marred. They don't want people who are going to be a burden on the state.

Yup and a lot of people don't realise how expensive some conditions can be. You don't want someone coming in if their partner has a rare condition that requires $20,000 per month in medicine just to keep them alive, no amount of income tax even if both are working is going to cover the medical expense

Then they came for me, eh?

these articles usually only tell one side of the story too, skim reading I can't find any info about the couple pictured, does it even say where they are from?

when did they arrive in AUS? what kind of VISA did they have? why didn't they become naturalised citizens?

Then do yourself (and us) a favour and read the whole thing as the answers are there:

Been living there for 8 years and the boy is 2 years old so they lived there for 6 years, paying taxes etc, and Aus now wants to kick them out because the boy (who AFAIK was born there) has cystic fibrosis.

Does your opinion in this case change now or you still think they should be kicked out?

Last edited:
Then do yourself (and us) a favour and read the whole thing as the answers are there:

Been living there for 8 years and the boy is 2 years old so they lived there for 6 years, paying taxes etc, and Aus now wants to kick them out because the boy (who AFAIK was born there) has cystic fibrosis.

Does your opinion in this case change now or you still think they should be kicked out?

Does it say they've to be kicked out of that they can't stay indefinitely?

Firstly, read the article yourself - it says there is precedent for reversing the decision to deny the visa for children born in Australia - all the parents have to do is put in the exemption application and it will be approved. Next question!

Secondly, their taxes won't cover **** - the child needs Trikafta or it will die, Trikafta costs $1.8 million for the child

If this family was in New Zealand they'd be even worse off - New Zealand doesn't subsidize that medicine, the government can't afford it and anyone who needs that medicine will just die in New Zealand if they don't go overseas to buy the stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom