Australia disabled migrant policy

fez

fez

Caporegime
It is a good job we are sending them all these doctors who can't afford to live over here.

I mean, doctors can afford to live here, they just get paid way more in Aus. Probably because Australia has masses of wealth from its mining. Doctors in the US get paid silly money because they bleed every patient dry for the simplest of treatments.

Soldato
I can understand if it was just the disabled person moving there with no job.

But I don't understand why they are denied if 1. They are intending to work or 2. They are a dependant on someone else who is working.

Australia in particular have always been overly strict to us. They only recently had an attitude change when China became a problem for them.

Associate
Firstly, read the article yourself - it says there is precedent for reversing the decision to deny the visa for children born in Australia - all the parents have to do is put in the exemption application and it will be approved. Next question!

Secondly, their taxes won't cover **** - the child needs Trikafta or it will die, Trikafta costs $1.8 million for the child

If this family was in New Zealand they'd be even worse off - New Zealand doesn't subsidize that medicine, the government can't afford it and anyone who needs that medicine will just die in New Zealand if they don't go overseas to buy the stuff.
Looks like it got funded in NZ from last year. From age 6 and upwards.

Soldato
Does it say they've to be kicked out of that they can't stay indefinitely?

From Article:
Then Australia - Laura Currie and her husband Dante’s home for eight years - said they couldn't stay permanently.

I understand that, for some people, the pedantry itch will need to be scratched about not being allowed to stay permanently is not the same as being kicked out... If you choose to go down that route, please explain the difference between the two. If they wanted to stay and they say they cant (now or sometime in the future) are they being kicked out?

Firstly, read the article yourself - it says there is precedent for reversing the decision to deny the visa for children born in Australia - all the parents have to do is put in the exemption application and it will be approved. Next question!

Really? You can guarantee that every exemption like theirs will be approved?... Not sure why the parents are getting their knickers in a twist for then. @Grim5 has spoken so the Aussie government will follow his decree :rolleyes:

Secondly, their taxes won't cover **** - the child needs Trikafta or it will die, Trikafta costs $1.8 million for the child

I merely said they stayed in the country for the last 8 years paying taxes. Was I wrong in that statement? Or have you made some kind of inference leap here? :confused:

Soldato
Australia is very right wing. Our version of Nick Griffin, or Frances Le Pen, Pauline Hanson was on Dancing with the stars! Far right politicians aren't out of place there.

Caporegime
But I don't understand why they are denied if 1. They are intending to work or 2. They are a dependant on someone else who is working.
it's not different to most other countries....
You can't move to them and become a resident unless you can prove you are not a drain on the state.

even the basic entry level requirement for holidays in most countries is that you can show a return ticket and have enough funds to cover your stay.
yea they never really check it seems but it's still there as a requirement and you could be denied entry if to provided evidence.

Even in the UK your not able to get a visa to have a partner come and live over here if i your earning under a certain amount.
AFAIK it was way above minimum wage, yet doesn't apply to non citizens who come on boats it seems.
come over get your UK asylum, quick extended family visa, its a right to a family life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
From Article:

I understand that, for some people, the pedantry itch will need to be scratched about not being allowed to stay permanently is not the same as being kicked out... If you choose to go down that route, please explain the difference between the two. If they wanted to stay and they say they cant (now or sometime in the future) are they being kicked out?

Really? You can guarantee that every exemption like theirs will be approved?... Not sure why the parents are getting their knickers in a twist for then. @Grim5 has spoken so the Aussie government will follow his decree :rolleyes:

I merely said they stayed in the country for the last 8 years paying taxes. Was I wrong in that statement? Or have you made some kind of inference leap here? :confused:

From my understanding, though it isn't clear in the article. They're visa won't be renewed, because of the families changed conditions.

Which isn't the same as being booted out, they aren't citizens - they are they're on work visas.

If anything the article is a good warning to anyone wishing to emigrate to fully understand the rules and conditions before doing so.

Caporegime
This shocked me somewhat. Legal migrants to Australia are being denied visas or told to leave if their children are disabled as they are a burden to the economy. Let’s remember, Australia invites these people in the first place to fill vital skills shortages and once there and working, they have been paying taxes all the time they are there.

If we ordered a legal migrant to leave because their children were disabled and a financial burden, there would be a total meltdown, and rightly so. It all seems very off to me.

This is nothing new, it's been standard policy in Australia for decades.

I have a good friend whose father is a highly respected archaeologist. He emigrated to Australia from the UK with his family, but eventually had to leave after failing to qualify for a visa because one of his sons has a learning difficulty that necessitates complex care.

The government did not care that the father is internationally recognised as an expert in his field, and was easily capable of supporting the family on his generous salary.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let’s be honest, very few people actually care about the disabled, outside of platitudes.

Ableism is still rife in this country and I’m not surprised countries with economies worse than our own don’t want to take them on.

I’ve heard people at work come out with things like “Everyone has some kind of disability” and “There’s nothing wrong with your mind, you’re smart”.

Haven’t reform (lol) said they’d abolish the equality act?

Caporegime
Based.
Cripples out.
It's quite mad when you go throw other countries requirements/legals on immigration.
I think Sweden and the UK have almost nothing but trivial regulations.

Last edited:
Soldato
From my understanding, though it isn't clear in the article. They're visa won't be renewed, because of the families changed conditions.

Which isn't the same as being booted out, they aren't citizens - they are they're on work visas.

I think we are using the term "booted out" as having a different meaning hence the slight disagreement. If a person wants to continue staying somewhere that they have been for a reasonable amount of time and they are not being allowed to, then that, to me, is being booted out.

Sankari example - this person is being booted out as they are not renewing a visa (I assumed he was on some sort of visa to begin with to be there in the first place). To others, its just a country not renewing a visa.

This is nothing new, it's been standard policy in Australia for decades.

I have a good friend whose father is a highly respected archaeologist. He emigrated to Australia from the UK with his family, but eventually had to leave after failing to qualify for a visa because one of his sons has a learning difficulty that necessitates complex care.

The government did not care that the father is internationally recognised as an expert in his field, and was easily capable of supporting the family on his generous salary.

Soldato
I'm assuming OP article means Perth in Australia? If the kid was born in Australia then he's Australian.

They need a good lawyer.

I wonder if the Albanese government will step in as they have done in previous similar immigration issues.

Soldato
They're economic migrants.

And there's nothing wrong with that as long as it remains beneficial/ agreeable to both parties (the migrant and the host country).

They knew their visa's weren't guaranteed to be renewed and they went ahead and had a kid abroad anyway.

Australia was entirely correct to decline to renew their visa's.

Soldato
I'm assuming OP article means Perth in Australia? If the kid was born in Australia then he's Australian.

They need a good lawyer.

I wonder if the Albanese government will step in as they have done in previous similar immigration issues.

Incorrect

Eligibility for Australian citizenship is based on a close and continuing association with Australia. This is expressed through a combination of jus soli (where a child born on Australian territory is eligible to be an Australian citizen) and jus sanguinis (where a child born to an Australian citizen parent is eligible to be an Australian citizen) and citizenship by naturalisation.
Children born in Australia can only acquire citizenship automatically if they have a parent who is either an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of birth.

This requirement, a modified version of the jus soli principle, was introduced in 1984 to discourage temporary residents and unauthorised arrivals from travelling to Australian to give birth with the express purpose of the child gaining automatic citizenship.

www.aph.gov.au/

Caporegime
Based.
Cripples out.
It's quite mad when you go throw other countries requirements/legals on immigration.
I think Sweden and the UK have almost nothing but trivial regulations.
UK hands out citizenship like flyers

He's not really though if he's not born to Australian parents.

if you go on holiday and give birth, it doesn't mean your kid gains a new nationality.

they were essentially on a working holiday

Last edited:
Soldato
They had been in Australia for 8 years, and this decision seems to have been made 2 years after the child was born.

The decision was because their current visas were due to expire and so they sought a renewal and they were turned down.

All entirely to be expected and operating as the visa system is intended to work in OZ.

It's rough that they had a disabled child but they knew their ability to remain in Australia indefinitely wasn't a given.

Don't come on a visa and then whine of its not renewed for reasons you should have been aware of when you previously applied.

The eight years they had been the would likely correspond to two previous four year visa's along these lines.

The 482 is a temporary visa, which entitles skilled workers to work in Australia for up to four years if they are sponsored by an approved Australian employer. It is compulsory for your professional skills or work experience to be relevant to the position you are applying for in Australia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom