Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

yeah, trulli did a great job coming from the rear of the pack, to pull up to third on the track, just as hamilton did a grand job getting to fourth. it is just a shame that the stewards had to be involved over a trifling little incident, but, rules are rules I guess, and for once, it went lewis's way.

Yes. But McLaren and Mercedes are quite intertwined. Mercedes own a share in McLaren. Mercedes wouldn't have supplied engines to other teams without McLaren knowing about it and OK-ing it.

Point is that there is no relationship between McLaren and Brawn as such as afaik unlike Force India who get their gear via McLaren Brawn are supposed to be getting it direct from Merc (I think? someone is welcome to correct me)

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5118728,00.html

Lewis Hamilton has described his performance in the Australian GP as one of the best of his career.

The World Champion silenced the critics who have opined that he can produce good results in a good car by hustling his under-paced MP4-24 into third place with a mixture of fine driving, determination and a little luck.

"It was one of the better races that I've driven simply because of the way the car is to drive. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to drive in my life," Hamilton said.

"We scored way more points than we could have realistically expected. I was looking to try and get one point, so to get six is a great achievement. We've definitely not forgotten how to win: our strategy was perfect and the team did a fantastic job. Considering the package we've got, I wrung every last ounce of pace out of the car, drove one of my best ever races and absolutely raced my heart out - I'm so satisfied.

"Also, my heartfelt congratulations to Jenson - he's driven brilliantly all weekend and both he and his team really deserve this success."

Hamilton also received fulsome praise from his bosses at McLaren-Mercedes.

"Today was one of those days on which Lewis demonstrated very clearly just what a fantastic racing driver he is. Throughout the race he showed great speed and tenacity, tempered when necessary by commendable patience," commented Martin Whitmarsh.

An equally-impressed Nobert Haug added: "He drove an excellent race under very difficult circumstances and proved his world-champion class."

It looks like McLaren were very pleased with LH's performance.

Point is that there is no relationship between McLaren and Brawn as such as afaik unlike Force India who get their gear via McLaren Brawn are supposed to be getting it direct from Merc (I think? someone is welcome to correct me)

I think theres a pecking order for the reltaionship with merc;
McLaren are bum chums with them
Force India are next in line getting engine, gearbox and hydrolics out the deal
Brawn are just customer engins.

Got the feeling Brawns going to be telling McLaren to (very politly) go away if merc try and pull something on this diffuser tech (or blagg a few years of freebiess off them, which will probably be outlawd in the cost cutting measures anyway)

I think theres a pecking order for the reltaionship with merc;
McLaren are bum chums with them
Force India are next in line getting engine, gearbox and hydrolics out the deal
Brawn are just customer engins.
Sounds about right. :D

Got the feeling Brawns going to be telling McLaren to (very politly) go away if merc try and pull something on this diffuser tech (or blagg a few years of freebiess off them, which will probably be outlawd in the cost cutting measures anyway)
Well Ross Brawn is a wily operator. He'll know what to do with McLaren. If McLaren want a diffuser off Brawn then the Mercedes engines might become seriously cheaper than they are now. Or it'll be a two way exchange, diffuser one way and technical info/help the other. ;)

I'm supporting Brawn and LH this year :p

You can't do that! Fairweather fan! :p

I would love to see Brawn do well though, purely because Button finally deserves something for his loyalty and Barrichello for sticking at it after he left a competitive team.

Sunama - it was inevitable, a British team with a British driver winning a race when they looked dead and buried 4 weeks ago. You can't knock them, it's going to do them a world of good.
The only thing I don't like is Branson sticking his money in as soon as he got a whiff of a winning team. EJ said to him "why wouldn't you invest in me a few years ago?" which totally floored him, it was brilliant.

Last edited:
What did he say?? Must have missed that somehow!

At final safety car Brawn was talking to Rubens fairly angrily (for him) saying he has to SLOW DOWN.

When they were just about to go out to the podium Rubens made a joke out of it all, taking the mick going SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN!! in a funny way :)

Can this be viewed on iPlayer? I can't find it :(

Cheers,

Suman

I don't think it is, no. :(

Check it out next week, it's a pretty laid back discussion about the race and was quite interesting. I just wish they'd get rid of Eddie though!

This thread has been unusually well mannered for here, maybe Brawn winning really is a good thing. :)

Interesting stat about RB's fastest lap.

I think it'd be really interesting if they compiled a table of average lap times. I think that would be a lot more revealing and interesting. For example, Hamilton doesn't often get fastest lap but when he he's winning it tends to be by a decent margin, meaning he's probably faster on average.

I know average times would probably very closely if not exactly match the finishing order, but I'd still find it interesting :)

At final safety car Brawn was talking to Rubens fairly angrily (for him) saying he has to SLOW DOWN.

When they were just about to go out to the podium Rubens made a joke out of it all, taking the mick going SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN!! in a funny way :)

It was a pretty vital point to get past afaik.

Isn't there a minimum lap time under the safety car to stop people going to fast?

Would suck major to get up to second after all that work, only to get disqualified for speeding under the safety car.

Back
Top Bottom