Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

I remember seeing EJ on a show about giving kids an opportunity to race instead of becoming scumbags. He was the perfect person for that kind of show. But I really feel he's not suited to the job he's doing right now.

And did anyone else notice the constant praising of Bernie Ecclestone? Made me feel sick to my stomache :S.

Last edited:
I dont mind Eddie at all, but that leggard guy is more annoying than i ever found JA to be, he makes my teeth grate everytime he opens his mouth, did anybody else notice the amount of times martin had to grudgingly correct him over this weekend?

but all in all that was a really nice start to the season, well done to brawn they deserved the win, and mighty impressed with lewis, he provided some good entertainment with his overtaking, 18th up to 4th(3rd after the race), certainly more overtaking than last year in this race but that might have been due to some teams/drivers being out of place, we'll soon see come next race, but either way it was nice to see some good moves, and some not so good moves as well:D

now i wonder if they can make Malaysia as exciting as this race was, i wonder if there will be more overtaking, should be interesting either way.

I thought Lewis Did pretty well, with some nice overtaking early on. But the amount of people crashing/spinning off was the main reason he got into 3rd. Without the Safety car events I bet he wouldn't have even got into the points today.

I dont mind Eddie at all, but that leggard guy is more annoying than i ever found JA to be, he makes my teeth grate everytime he opens his mouth, did anybody else notice the amount of times martin had to grudgingly correct him over this weekend?

but all in all that was a really nice start to the season, well done to brawn they deserved the win, and mighty impressed with lewis, he provided some good entertainment with his overtaking, 18th up to 4th(3rd after the race), certainly more overtaking than last year in this race but that might have been due to some teams/drivers being out of place, we'll soon see come next race, but either way it was nice to see some good moves, and some not so good moves as well:D

now i wonder if they can make Malaysia as exciting as this race was, i wonder if there will be more overtaking, should be interesting either way.

Indeed, Leggard was pretty poor.

Sepang could be a wash out. It is moved to late afternoon/early evening so there could well be some very heavy thundershowers as they are common at that time of day.

I think it'd be really interesting if they compiled a table of average lap times.

Fastest lap times and ranking them means very little, they are generally set with low fuel and thus light cars, LH may have only been 14th fastest or so but as you say the average over the race is a better indicator of race pace and keeping out of trouble.

Lewis started light, on super softs and has kers so made up a load of places early on, then kept plugging away at those in front, kept his head, went for every opportunity as it occurred and ultimately lucked out with 3rd, he's learned the lesson that you only need to lose 1 point to lose the championship so bag all the points you can, when you can.

I thought Lewis Did pretty well, with some nice overtaking early on. But the amount of people crashing/spinning off was the main reason he got into 3rd. Without the Safety car events I bet he wouldn't have even got into the points today.

In any race, you can only take advantage of the opportunities that are there. For Lewis to achieve what he did, given the car he was in, was a remarkable performance. After all, the other drivers who started in front of him all got the same benefits from the incidents. Alonso, for example, started 8 places ahead of Lewis, had a faster car, had as many cars in front of him fall off the track and didn't benefit any more or less from the Safety car, but Lewis still finished two up from him.

that leggard guy is more annoying than i ever found JA to be, he makes my teeth grate everytime he opens his mouth, did anybody else notice the amount of times martin had to grudgingly correct him over this weekend?

I thought he was a lot better today than he was yesterday, in fact I thought his commentary at the very start of the race when everything was going off was superb. We're never going to get another Murray chaps :) Croft is good but then radio commentary is easier than TV commentary.

Before this weekend, Martin Brundle had the following to say of Jenson Button...

"Jenson Button seems to navigate himself into all the wrong places at the wrong time and it has been a career wasted by bad decisions."

"The 29-year-old is surely too fast and young to be washed up, but this season could be very difficult for him."

"I cannot see driving for Ross Brawn's new team (formerly Honda) doing Button's career a lot of good because they are going to be on the back foot after a winter of uncertainty."

"The expectation level on him and the team will be zero so to an extent it can only be a positive - but I don't think he needs another season floundering around."

I wonder if perhaps he'll be eating those words now..

I'm beginning to think that this entire forum is "BrawnGP fans" forum.
Yeah, they're a fickle bunch alright. I'm a Ferrari fan so it pains me to say this, LH went up in my estimations this weekend. Made good use of a relatively crap setup when compared with the rest of the field. Great drive.

Well done to JB too.

So if the diffuser appeal falls flat, can the other teams copy it? Is there time and will rules allow them to develop their existing diffuser?

So if the diffuser appeal falls flat, can the other teams copy it? Is there time and will rules allow them to develop their existing diffuser?
dont see why not, i doubt it will be easy though with the lack of testing allowed.
was there not mention of if the teams wanted to redevelope the diffuseres. they would have to redesign the whole back end, gearbox casing etc to accomodate the new rear diffusers.

i assume this is why mclaren are keeping quiet about the whole affair, i notice they have been quite diplomatic about the whole thing which makes me believe they have something in the works themselves.

it was quite interesting to see the spys lurking about the brawns on the grid before the race:D

if it falls flat im sure we will see some new interesting diffusers being used in friday practice the grandprix afterwards

believe the main media stir behind teams changing is RBR would apparently have a hard time due to their more inventive rear suspension

What an awesome weekend of racing and I was lucky enough to be there live for all 4 days of racing. The F1 really was the icing on the cake, just a shame about the safety car finish. I'd have loved to have bought some BrawnGP merchandise and get behind the new team, but there was none available anywhere.
Had to feel for Lewis before the race as he had so many supporters in the ground. Every other shirt I saw had Vodafone or Lewis printed on it. He did himself proud getting back up to 4th from an 18th start.
V8's, Aussie Cars and Australian GT cars were all pretty interesting to watch too and 'The Who' concert after the GP was the perfect finish to a great weekend. Just a shame it took us nearly an hour to walk the length of the pit straight to get there due to the volume of people walking the track and photographing the pits. Will I go again next year? Weekend long sunshine, 4 days of racing and a decent concert for 77quid, definately :D

Should be an interesting season thats for sure :D

I can't believe Vettel's been penalised 10 places for that accident. He was on the inside and had every right to defend his position imo. What happened to real racing when crashes happened all the time, the drivers whinged about each other and that was that? It's pathetic giving everyone a punishment for the slightest of contact.

Back
Top Bottom