Australian GP 2009 - Race 1/17 (NOT in HD BTW)

Soldato

We had a debrief today and one of our laminators made a interesting point. The FIA are actively trying to force cost cutting on teams [which partly we agree with] yet choose to impose a $50,000 fine against us [im not bitter at all] Cut spending on development so we have more money to pay their fines, was the point made.

Raised a few laughs for us at least.

Man of Honour
We had a debrief today and one of our laminators made a interesting point. The FIA are actively trying to force cost cutting on teams [which partly we agree with] yet choose to impose a $50,000 fine against us [im not bitter at all] Cut spending on development so we have more money to pay their fines, was the point made.

Raised a few laughs for us at least.
Haha, very true.

I think this thread should be locked now, so we can all move onto the next conspiracy, sorry, race ;)

Caporegime
Locking this thread will just move the McLaren discussion into the new thread. Leave this open for the penalty argument and lets home the 2nd thread ends with much less FIA rubbish.

Soldato
Found it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

It's clear that Hamilton slows down significantly there.

Doesn't look like he slowed down much if at all, it just gets that impression from Trulli accelerating away from the corner. Saying that Trulli had no choice to pass him is a complete load of rubbish, he could have had just touched the brake and sat behind him quite easily. Huge amount of time to respond but he just drove straight on by with no hesitation.

You can clearly see Hamilton isn't going 15mph in that clip. He is probably doing 3-4 times that.

Soldato
You know this would have all been sorted if McLaren had told the truth.

it would also have been sorted if McLaren knew the rules.

The thing is people thought they knew the rules until the last few seasons where some of the FIAs decision making is just incredible to say the least, or they change the rules after a ruling such as Hamilton at Spa last year.

Agreed with Skeeter decisions this long after the race for something that should have been sorted so quickly are damaging to the sport.

Caporegime
Doesn't look like he slowed down much if at all, it just gets that impression from Trulli accelerating away from the corner. Saying that Trulli had no choice to pass him is a complete load of rubbish, he could have had just touched the brake and sat behind him quite easily. Huge amount of time to respond but he just drove straight on by with no hesitation.

You can clearly see Hamilton isn't going 15mph in that clip. He is probably doing 3-4 times that.

I don't think we can clearly say what is going on there. I've watched it a few times now, and I'm really not sure. I think Trulli is travelling at near race-pace - pumped up and annoyed at having stupidly lost a place - and whips past Hamilton as he trundles round at safety car pace but Hamilton also appears to leave the racing line which would imply he was moving over to let Trulli past. McLaren certainly claimed that the telemetry showed Hamilton drove at the same pace on all three safety car laps, and the fact that the initial stewards decision went their way would support that view.

But as others have said, it's probably time to drop it now and go on to the next race hoping it can be decided on track.

Soldato
Agreed with Skeeter decisions this long after the race for something that should have been sorted so quickly are damaging to the sport.

A decision was made there and then on the evidence presented, the decision was made in good faith thinking that the World Champion would not be lying.

With new evidence the decision was looked at again

Soldato
A decision was made there and then on the evidence presented, the decision was made in good faith thinking that the World Champion would not be lying.

With new evidence the decision was looked at again

Your not "thestig" are you? Never known anyone else with such a obvious dislike for LH.

Soldato
Re that video, Trulli slows down at 25sec, just look how slow he is going.
Hamilton definitely slowed down as well, as it was no where near S/C pace. Even 50mph is TOO SLOW for an F1 car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your not "thestig" are you? Never known anyone else with such a obvious dislike for LH.

I do dislike him and McLaren, I will not hide that - however I am also able to objective give an opinion. I've in the past disliked some of the things Schumi puled (stopping last corner of Quali being one of them).

Equally, I fail to see how I'm showing my dislike here by simply going with the evidence presented and confirmed by FIA.
For the record, I like Brawn and Rubens too, and still think that the Kimi + Rubens incident might have needed a looking at, even if it was obvious that Rubens has an issue braking.

Soldato
Was actually a post in jest, but appreciate you answering anyway. I think the whole situation regarding stewards decisions, has needed clarifying for a longtime. Just cant see it happening anytime soon.

Soldato
Yup. Too many rose tinted glasses here.

In the light of the evidence produced today I'm amazed at some of the posts in this thread. Yet another less than desirable page in McLaren's history books.

At that level you have to walk the line really, problem is McLaren seemed to step over the line (over 1 non crucial point) - and then got caught out. Stupid if you ask me, why risk it all over 1 point in 1st race.

Soldato
Yes I know the source isn't the most reputable... but where does it end?

The Sun Newspaper said:
LEWIS HAMILTON was today told he could be thrown out of the Formula One world championship.
The McLaren driver has been found guilty of misleading FIA race stewards at last weekend's Australian Grand Prix.
He has been disqualified from that race and lost all the points he received for coming third.
But his punishment could be even more severe as the situation breaks the International Sporting Code.
A FIA spokesperson said: "Given the seriousness of this matter, we cannot rule out further action at this stage."

The FIA are threatening a season ban for this now...

Soldato
I think what the article was saying was that after they have disqualified hamilton from race 1 (which we know that they have) but, they are still considering whether the breach of article 151(c) warrants a championship ban, which would end mclaren's year entirely..

I am well aware that the sun is not a good source.. but these things can happen..

Not to mention in today's guardian..

"Lewis Hamilton could be excluded from the formula one world championship after the race stewards in Malaysia reopened an investigation that followed an incident in last Sunday's Melbourne grand prix.

A senior FIA spokesman confirmed last night that it was possible that Hamilton and McLaren could be referred to the governing body's World Motor Sport Council.

"It is potentially an extremely severe situation," said the spokesman, who did not rule out the possibility of Hamilton being suspended for a number of races or even from the 2009 championship if proven to have committed a major offence."

But we dont trust the newspapers at all eh?

"Yesterday, in Kuala Lumpur, it emerged that the stewards were re-examining the sequence of events as the possibility grew that Hamilton and the McLaren sporting director, Dave Ryan, may be accused of duping Trulli into passing the McLaren and then lying about it to the stewards."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom