Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2022, Melbourne - Race 3

Rate the 2022 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
OP
Were you there for that race? If so I’m very jealous!
Aye, my wife and I were there. We had seats on the start finish straight, almost right opposite the podium. It was a glorious day, we’d been up since stupid o’clock because we went in by coach and we’d had a couple of beers. With earplugs in, we both nodded off for a few minutes during the race itself!

But this is seriously OT, sorry.

Soldato
A bit of a hint of Alonso from Singapore in 2008* (and most of 2012), hustling the car to places it shouldn't be, with an outside shot at pole, and well clear of his teammate, only to suffer a mechanical issue when in the running for a top spot.

I doubt he'd have got pole itself, but he was in the running for fifth at absolute worst.

* Expect Ocon to stack it tomorrow at an appropriate time. ;)

Associate
Aye, my wife and I were there. We had seats on the start finish straight, almost right opposite the podium. It was a glorious day, we’d been up since stupid o’clock because we went in by coach and we’d had a couple of beers. With earplugs in, we both nodded off for a few minutes during the race itself!

But this is seriously OT, sorry.

Haha very nice. :)

No need for earplugs anymore unfortunately, I do still miss the old engines.

Very interesting grid for tomorrow. Charles will need to pull a decent gap to avoid the undercut of both RB’s get away well. The Mercs should hold up Sainz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
What an improvement from the McLarens !!
Back of the field in the last races - now Lando P4

Spain testing showed they weren't far off and seeed to have the car most able to avoid porposiing , hopefully they're on top of the brake issue and can push on now. Alfa and haas seemed to have dropped back quite a bit, so shows how well rounded thta ferrari seems to be.

Soldato
Was Hamilton being a bit naughty in not speeding up enough to stop Russell from getting to the line in time for their second attempt? Obviously they left the pits in time, then were told to speed up, but Russell didn't make it in time for the second quick lap, then Hamilton pipped him for fifth. Shades of Hungary 2007 there.

Bad luck for Sainz after the red came out metres from the line, but his own fault for making sure he got a representative time to start at the sharp end - could have had an easy fourth and at least been in the mix for the lead.

I feel awful for Alonso. His first real shot at a F1 top four for the first time in a decade, and his car lets go at the most inopportune moment. What's the odds he gets the fastest time later in the season, only to have to suffer a grid penalty as he's already he'd had to use three (of three) PU components? Monaco 2012 all over again?

Great lap by Leclerc - the only man in the 1:17s.

Soldato
Spain testing showed they weren't far off and seeed to have the car most able to avoid porposiing , hopefully they're on top of the brake issue and can push on now. Alfa and haas seemed to have dropped back quite a bit, so shows how well rounded thta ferrari seems to be.
Alfa were quick but for whatever reason Bottas couldn't nail a lap in Q2. He was fifth (or was for most of the session) in Q1.

Steiner said Haas just hadn't quite got the setup right or hooked up the laps, so I think they're a bit better than they showed. They will drop back as the season progresses and better teams move forward but I just don't think they're dialled into this track.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Was Hamilton being a bit naughty in not speeding up enough to stop Russell from getting to the line in time for their second attempt? Obviously they left the pits in time, then were told to speed up, but Russell didn't make it in time for the second quick lap, then Hamilton pipped him for fifth. Shades of Hungary 2007 there.

I'm sure the OcUK Motorsport Forum Hamilton Fanboy Association™ will call it brilliant tactics by their man ;)

But yes. Flattering for George, in a way, that Hamilton feels threatened enough to resort to such things :p

Great lap by Leclerc - the only man in the 1:17s.

It was a monster lap. Hopefully he's got race pace as well.

Caporegime

Why did George not follow closer?

Then he would have got over the line in time.
He has the time and delta etc on his screen in front of him, get right up under lewis' rear wing to get over the line, drop back slightly, and get the tow right round the whole lap.

That was entirely down to George not Lewis.

There is also the possibility, Lewis was fuelled for two at the end, and George was not, perfectly likely they could be on different strategies.

Soldato

Then he would have got over the line in time.
He has the time and delta etc on his screen in front of him, get right up under lewis' rear wing to get over the line, drop back slightly, and get the tow right round the whole lap.

That was entirely down to George not Lewis.

There is also the possibility, Lewis was fuelled for two at the end, and George was not, perfectly likely they could be on different strategies.

Sorry but if your team mate has complained multiple times on the radio for you to speed up, general courtesy says you speed up. Only reason you wouldn't is purely self interest. yes George could have riden Lewis's rear but then he would have HAD to slow down at some point the the lap itself to increase the gap damaging his time.

Great to see Norris in P4 hoping the actual car is better for them and not just a 1 off chance, only time will tell.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm sure the OcUK Motorsport Forum Hamilton Fanboy Association™ will call it brilliant tactics by their man ;)

But yes. Flattering for George, in a way, that Hamilton feels threatened enough to resort to such things :p

It was a monster lap. Hopefully he's got race pace as well.
Give it a rest. It’s hard enough to keep these threads on topic without someone stirring the pot.

Soldato
He was only 3 seconds behind Hamilton during their first attempt. Obviously you can follow closer with these cars, but you couldn't get much nearer without losing time when times are that close.

Why did George not follow closer?There is also the possibility, Lewis was fuelled for two at the end, and George was not, perfectly likely they could be on different strategies.
No, otherwise the team wouldn't be saying time is tight and asking to speed Hamilton up - that message came before their first flying lap with nearly 4 minutes remaining.

Caporegime
He was only 3 seconds behind Hamilton during their first attempt. Obviously you can follow closer with these cars, but you couldn't get much nearer without losing time when times are that close.

No, otherwise the team wouldn't be saying time is tight and asking to speed Hamilton up - that message came before their first flying lap with nearly 4 minutes remaining.

But the whole point of the new regs is that you can follow closer, without loosing masses of time.

Pretty certain he could have been 1 maybe 1.5 seconds closer and loose nothing of significance.

More i think, it is almost guaranteed George was not fuelled for two flyers at the end, when lewis was.

Edit,

Maybe George's mesaages were because he wanted to go a bit faster, get more heat, for his one flyer, when Lewis was taking it a bit more steady knowing he was fuelled for two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom