Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - *** WARNING: SPOILERS ***

Soldato
Why are people using spoiler tags ?

That ending was absolute nonsense and im not entirely sure why people are getting hung up on it. Disney havent shown balls at all, they all have sequels and will be back.

Caporegime
The more of think about it, the more I like Thanos

Stepping in his shoes for a moment, having lived through the experience of seeing his home planet literally eating itself and crumpled to dust, he sets out to prevent the universe to repeat the same fate and he has good reasons to. The methods might be extreme but what he wants seems almost noble? He is the hero in his own story really and everyone else who is trying to stop him actually doesn't get killed. If he is such a baddie, he would have killed everyone of them. He should have killed of Thor at the start, killed Stark after getting the Time Stone and everyone there, kill Peter Quil after kidnapping Glamora. I don't think he is some evil villain but someone just on a mission to save the universe in his story.

A very well drawn villain, and I am sitting here trying to remember what makes Vader such a great villain…….

Caporegime
If you are going to use spoiler tags then this thread is pointless, might as well have all been hidden in the main thread. I’m not using them because of some remote chance that someone might be sent the link to a post as a bad joke.

I don’t think Disney showed balls either, all those that turned to dust will be back. My son welled up when Parker died. It’s pretty obvious he will be back. I think the real deaths will happen in the next one.

Caporegime
What was with Hulk? I always thought if hes taking a beating the angrier he gets the stronger he becomes (seemingly that's changed somewhere along the line), he gets a few punches and a slam in this and suddenly his nads drop off and he stays hidden for the rest of the movie??

I think thats one of the problems with the character being as strong as the comics make him out to be, if they portray him that way in the movie then there's no real threat against him, and if they portray him weaker than that it makes him look quite "un-hulk" like, hard to strike a balance i suppose. Probably the same kind of thing with Superman where they have to portray him at a certain level but past movies showed him doing much more with ease than the current ones.

Soldato
Saw it tonight. Brilliant!

I don't think you realise, the Thanos with and without the Gems being shown in the movies is very much a dumbed down version.

Thanos has currently destroyed Galactus, the Hulk, the silver surfer, Odin and everybody period who was stupid enough to get in his way except Eternity and the Living Tribunal without the Gems. He has currently replaced Death becoming part of the triumvirate that powers the universe. See Thanos Wins and the Infinity Siblings. He is not happy about replacing Death because all he wanted was to sit by her side.
Without the Gems and in the past he has gone toe to toe with Odin, Tyrant and beaten the Inbetweener. I believe he also beat an infinity Gem powered Thor at one time. He cannot die without Death's consent and since he's Deaths avatar there is no chance of that since she would only bring him back not knowing he is destined to replace her.

The comic books get a bit silly at times.

Some may call MCU Thanos "dumbed down". I'd say "grounded" is a more apt description. The comic book version is the result of decades of one-upmanship by fanboys.

Last edited:
Soldato
decent movie but not omg amazing.
entertaining but overall lacked emotional punch as everyone knows they will be back for at least one more before actually dieing/retiring.

thanos excellent, vision subplot very poor, battle on titan incredible but everything else pretty meh

Soldato
The more of think about it, the more I like Thanos

Stepping in his shoes for a moment, having lived through the experience of seeing his home planet literally eating itself and crumpled to dust, he sets out to prevent the universe to repeat the same fate and he has good reasons to. The methods might be extreme but what he wants seems almost noble? He is the hero in his own story really and everyone else who is trying to stop him actually doesn't get killed. If he is such a baddie, he would have killed everyone of them. He should have killed of Thor at the start, killed Stark after getting the Time Stone and everyone there, kill Peter Quil after kidnapping Glamora. I don't think he is some evil villain but someone just on a mission to save the universe in his story.

A very well drawn villain, and I am sitting here trying to remember what makes Vader such a great villain…….

yeah i agree - he was the best villain i've seen in a long time.
yes he's mad, but he had a logic and reason for doing what he did and he didn't kill everyone he met - and he could if he wanted.
I found killmonger a weak and boring villain despite some people seemingly thinking he was multi-layed and complex - thanos was everything killmonger wasn't.

Caporegime
yeah i agree - he was the best villain i've seen in a long time.
yes he's mad, but he had a logic and reason for doing what he did and he didn't kill everyone he met - and he could if he wanted.
I found killmonger a weak and boring villain despite some people seemingly thinking he was multi-layed and complex - thanos was everything killmonger wasn't.

The bit where I expected him to be the classic villain would be when

Dr Strange gives him the stone in exchange to sparing Stark's life. The typical thing to do here would be "sorry, I lied" then stabs that knife into him and twist and we sees Ironman dies. But once he got the stone he just left, back on his mission to get the other stones. That's what he is trying to do, get all the stones, he doesn't purposely seeks out superheroes to kill like your typical bad guy like "I have a grudge with Thor, I got to go kill him first !!!!!!!" He just gets on with his business, get the stones, kill anyone who is in the way.

The bit where he saw Peter Quil having the guts to pull the trigger, and he says "I like you." He saw Peter have the balls to do what is necessary to stop him, and he respects that.

A complete psycho but a proper character.

Soldato
Saw it tonight. Brilliant!

The comic books get a bit silly at times.

Some may call MCU Thanos "dumbed down". I'd say "grounded" is a more apt description. The comic book version is the result of decades of one-upmanship by fanboys.
That is true for the likes of Galactus and many other characters who were defeated by the most trivial things, but not for Thanos. Starlin's development of the character has been orderly, consistent and non contradictory. From the onset he was born one-of-a-kind just like Adam Warlock with both going on to become two of the most powerful entities in the Marvel Universe. Thanos becomes the abstract entity called Death and Warlock becomes the Living Tribunal. To ground them would be to turn them in to something they are not. A better understanding of some of the aspects of their development can be found here: http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sir-thanos-rising-1-marvel-made-mistake.html

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

One complaint: they mentioned the finger snap waaaaay too many times.

When it happened, there were still some people like “wtf” in my screening. I mean, seriously :confused:

Soldato
That is true for the likes of Galactus and many other characters who were defeated by the most trivial things, but not for Thanos. Starlin's development of the character has been orderly, consistent and non contradictory. From the onset he was born one-of-a-kind just like Adam Warlock with both going on to become two of the most powerful entities in the Marvel Universe. Thanos becomes the abstract entity called Death and Warlock becomes the Living Tribunal. To ground them would be to turn them in to something they are not. A better understanding of some of the aspects of their development can be found here: http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/sir-thanos-rising-1-marvel-made-mistake.html

Comic books, by their very nature, are all about one-upmanship, venturing in to the preposterous in order to remain new and exciting to readers who have spent years following the development of their favourite characters. Thanos is one of the greatest examples of this at work.

Film has completely different requirements to comic books. Thanos won't receive repeated attention and development over decades. His story has to fit in to <6 hours of footage before he's killed off or sidelined for a future storyline. In this context, the vast majority of Thanos's backstory is surplus to requirements; it doesn't serve the tale being told.

I fail to see how Marvel Studios didn't absolutely nail the MCU version of this character to be honest.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
As has been said, the comics are a basis for the MCU, not a complete guidebook. They've diverted from the comic version of events many times for a more grounded and at least partially realistic series of characters. For example Black Widow able to hold her own against the black order chick who's name I can't remember and many powers toned down or simply missing altogether.

Soldato
As has been said, the comics are a basis for the MCU, not a complete guidebook. They've diverted from the comic version of events many times for a more grounded and at least partially realistic series of characters. For example Black Widow able to hold her own against the black order chick who's name I can't remember and many powers toned down or simply missing altogether.

Proxima.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are going to use spoiler tags then this thread is pointless, might as well have all been hidden in the main thread. I’m not using them because of some remote chance that someone might be sent the link to a post as a bad joke.

I don’t think Disney showed balls either, all those that turned to dust will be back. My son welled up when Parker died. It’s pretty obvious he will be back. I think the real deaths will happen in the next one.

This. They all have films coming out so unless they are set before this film...which would be daft, they will all be back. Worth too much money.

Soldato
Not a bad film, but I'm not really a Marvel fan.

The unstoppable force vs immovable object routine gets pretty old very quickly for me. You never feel any real connection with any characters because if they die, they just find a way to bring them back.

It killed some time on a miserable day yesterday though.

Man of Honour
one of the better super hero ones, although i so wish that was the end of it and no more super hero films. that would be a great ending. Its about time some films had that sort of ending and there is far to many super hero films now, Hollywood needs to make a more diverse line up of films.

Back
Top Bottom