Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Can't they just be ****ed off and post about it on Facebook instead of going to the Equality Commission?

People love to tie themselves up in knots over the most inane ******** these days.

Last edited:
I do

I think the right answer is that the creative, self employed person gets to pick and chose whatever custom jobs he/she likes. As long as he/she isn't simply turning down work based on who the customer is but rather on the basis of what the work requires creating then it's up to them. You can't force an artist, photographer, journalist, author or even baker to create something they don't agree with.

They haven't refused to sell them a cake they've refused to create a very specific cake containing a jokey cartoon and a political message.

It baffles me how people don't get that distinction.

It baffles me how people don't get that distinction.

I do not do selective colouring, period. I think it is very out of date and I don't want it on my portfolio.

I've actually told client this at consultations, if thats the kind of photographs that they want, they are free to choose someone that does that. It's no skin off my nose. Because ultimately if I am forced to do it then my heart is not in it and it won't be good. It does more harm than good in the long run.

Last edited:
My point still stands. As far as I'm concerned, a business should not pick and choose what work to complete based on their personal beliefs. I believe if you decide to set yourself up as a company, you forfeit your own personal beliefs.

If you're a sole trader on the other hand, you're just a bloke baking a cake so you can do what you want.

A sole trader is a business... Does it really make a difference if it's one person or two?

Anyway, the suggestion that those operating a business have to forfeit their personal beliefs mind-boggling. Why on earth should they do that? It might be pragmatic for them to remain non-partisan on such issues, but I cannot think of any rational reason for why they should have to give up their views.

You should be able to reject an order based on what the customer has requested. You should not be able to reject an order based on who the customer is, if 'who the customer is' is about race or sexuality.

They wouldn't get away with it if they refused to decorate a cake with an African American image/logo so I don't see why this is any different!! It's still discrimination based on personal beliefs, if you want to be a bigot in your own time go ahead be an idiot!
However when you run a service open to the public then their should be certain anti-discrimination laws/rules to keep things fair and civilized, if it bothers you that much don't run a service that falls into this category.

It's up to them. They're a private business, and can reject a customer's order for whatever reason they so wish. And they shouldn't have to share their reasoning.

The customer can vote with their feet and go to a competitor. If enough customer's do, then the business may need to take notice.

Two things.

Why do gays have to bring their sexuality into *everything*?

"Hi, Mr Hairdresser, I'd like a haircut. Did I tell you I'm gay? Short back and sides, please. Thanks."
"Mr Employer, can I have a job at your company? You know I'm gay, right? Has your workforce had it's tolerance training? Will they all accept my gayness?"
"Mein Doktor, I'm having pains in my chest. Can you make sure the hospital is aware of my special needs, being gay?"
"Yes, this is gay dog. I'm like dog, but GAY."

*If* they didn't rub it in everyone's face, they could pretty much live however they wanted, and still be openly gay, just not some kind of conduit to the Plane of Gay, so that everyone is instantly struck by your gayness.

I'm sure it's the minority giving the majority a bad name, but there we are.
LOL. And agree.

Can't they just be ****ed off and post about it on Facebook instead of going to the Equality Commission?

People love to tie themselves up in knots over the most inane ******** these days.
+1.

It's up to them. They're a private business, and can reject a customer's order for whatever reason they so wish. And they shouldn't have to share their reasoning.

The customer can vote with their feet and go to a competitor. If enough customer's do, then the business may need to take notice.

+1.

right but you can surely see the problem with that statement?

there were times when a store would refuse to serve you if you were black, sure you could go to another store but they'd turn you down too.

just want happens when most or all of the stores are turning you down?

You don't understand how anti discrimination laws work in this country do you?

The bakers should be able to choose if they want to make the cake regardless of what the reason is, they could have quite rightly refused just stating "We can't take any more orders at this time" and what else could have been said? Nothing. If someone wants to be a bigot, let them get on with it and move on with your life. At the end of the day they're the ones who lose out on the money and any future recommendations or purchases from the person they have refused, as well as loss of potential customers by said people leaving a negative review, then those people can take their business to another company who is willing to provide them with the service they require.

I don't understand why it needs to be escalated any further than that.

Seems like it's being made out to sound like the bakery are a bunch of Gay-haters, when in fact they are not, but are just sticking up for their beliefs which is a religious belief that a wedding is a union between a man and a woman.

I could understand the outcry if nobody would have made the cake (it got made elsewhere), or that the bakery had said that they hated gays and wouldn't stoop so low as to make any kind of cake for them but as normal it's been blown out of all proportion.

I'm in favour of anti-discrimination laws when it's needed, but a blanket policy means situations like this arise and makes you realise that a blanket policy doesn't work!

Asked to bake a cake.
Company agreed.
Customer required specific design.
Company refused to produce cake due to belief, offered full refund.
Customer accepted and got cake from another bakery.

That's it in a nutshell and not really something that needs all this song an dance about.

(For the record I'm an agnostic atheist and some gay family members so I don't have an issue with either side)

Seems like it's being made out to sound like the bakery are a bunch of Gay-haters, when in fact they are not, but are just sticking up for their beliefs which is a religious belief that a wedding is a union between a man and a woman.

the title of this thread need s changing because

IT WASN'T A WEDDING CAKE!

The cake was ordered for an International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia event, hosted by Alliance councillor Andrew Muir

Back
Top Bottom