Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

I see Tefal is living up to his name and things aren't sticking.

I never said it was a WEDDING CAKE, but the reason the bakery declined is due to their belief that unions between people should be between male and female as defined in N.I.

Who gives a flying **** what kind of cake it was.

If this was any other gay person ordering any other cake and refused i bet any money it would be non issue. but no it was an activist wanting a cake for a pro gay event. guy clearly wants publicity

Who gives a flying **** what kind of cake it was.

If this was any other gay person ordering any other cake and refused i bet any money it would be non issue. but no it was an activist wanting a cake for a pro gay event. guy clearly wants publicity

You say that like it is a bad thing, this kind of discrimination happens day in, day out for minorities, why shouldn't they bring it to the media?

You say that like it is a bad thing, this kind of discrimination happens day in, day out for minorities, why shouldn't they bring it to the media?

It wasn't the gay person that brought it to the media, they took it to the equality commission who then contacted the bakers who decided to take it to the media.

I'm not concerned about the specifics, simply that a business should not make decisions based on personal beliefs.

I feel the same about staff in supermarkets refusing to sell meat or alcohol. As far as I am concerned, that person should not be allowed to refuse service based on their beliefs.

What if someone wanted a BNP cake baked for them?

What if someone wanted a BNP cake baked for them?

Is Gay marriage in some way equivalent to supporting the BNP? I am struggling to find any objective harm in gay marriage, whilst there is plenty of harm in the policies of the BNP. Not to mention that the law doesn't protect political beliefs, no matter how dearly you hold them.

Perhaps we should say what if a baker wanted to refuse to do a mixed marriage race would that be acceptable?

Humans are atrocious beings! Seriously...

OMG we're gay so... Like people should accept us for what we are...

But...

We won't accept Christians for what they are!

So this couple of homosexuals think that they can put their sausage where they want to **** what anyone else thinks but Christians should be FORCED to make cakes that contravene their beliefs??

Personally I think it's just a cake so neither side should be bothered at all but those two are setting the worst example to homosexuals and heterosexuals alike. It's intolerant petty ****.

Is Gay marriage in some way equivalent to supporting the BNP? I am struggling to find any objective harm in gay marriage, whilst there is plenty of harm in the policies of the BNP. Not to mention that the law doesn't protect political beliefs, no matter how dearly you hold them.

Perhaps we should say what if a baker wanted to refuse to do a mixed marriage race would that be acceptable?

The slogan on the cake was a political slogan, Gay Marriage is a political policy...if the law doesn't protect political beliefs then why should anyone be forced to make a slogan, in whatever form, about something they do not politically support?

If he had refused to bake a cake for a gay couple simply becasue they were gay then you would have a point, but it was the support gay marriage slogan they objected to, not the actual sexuality of the person ordering it.

All the Gay activists, or whoever they were, had to do is go and get their cake made somewhere else.

The slogan on the cake was a political slogan, Gay Marriage is a political policy...if the law doesn't protect political beliefs then why should anyone be forced to make a slogan, in whatever form, about something they do not politically support?

If he had refused to bake a cake for a gay couple simply becasue they were gay then you would have a point, but it was the support gay marriage slogan they objected to, not the actual sexuality of the person ordering it.

All the Gay activists, or whoever they were, had to do is go and get their cake made somewhere else.

exactly, but these guys saw a chance for publicity

They wouldn't get away with it if they refused to decorate a cake with an African American image/logo so I don't see why this is any different!! It's still discrimination based on personal beliefs, if you want to be a bigot in your own time go ahead be an idiot!
However when you run a service open to the public then their should be certain anti-discrimination laws/rules to keep things fair and civilized, if it bothers you that much don't run a service that falls into this category.

Its not clear yet if they would or wouldn't - but again there is a difference between discriminating against the people you chose to serve and discriminating between what sort of things you chose to produce. Anti discrimination legislation exists to prevent people from being discriminated against not products - I'd hope it doesn't apply in this case as freedom of speech/freedom of expression ought to be protected but obviously the product is linked to a particular group of people protected under the legislation so maybe it does.

Well that's the whole point - it was a political cake... they didn't refuse to make a cake for gay people they refused to make a cake with a specific message on it.

Creative people should have a right to refuse to create work they don't agree with regardless of their personal reasons. They have the right to freedom of speech/freedom of expression - you shouldn't be able to dictate to them what they should write if they don't want to.

You've got no more right to force them to create this cake than you do to try and force a London based Arab publication to run pro Israeli advertising.

Last edited:
People should be free to do what they want save that they shouldn't restrict the legitimate freedoms of others.

If two parties are at loggerheads and there are fair arguments for both sides, I think it's for the party that says "you can't" to concede.

I'd prefer to live in a world where 'you can'.

Unfortunately for the bakery it is a political slogan around a protected group hence why the Equality Commission got involved.

And if all the local bakeries had the same policy?

Creative people should have a right to refuse to create work they don't agree with regardless of their personal reasons. They have the right to freedom of speech/freedom of expression - you shouldn't be able to dictate to them what they should write if they don't want to.

The problem starts when you begin to run a business and want to discriminate against protected groups. They still have the right to freedom of expression and freedom of speech, they just don't have the right to refuse service because of it.

The problem starts when you begin to run a business and want to discriminate against protected groups. They still have the right to freedom of expression and freedom of speech, they just don't have the right to refuse service because of it.

They haven't discriminated against a particular group per say - they've declined to create a message on a cake relating to an issue supported by a large number of that group.

It is a freedom of speech issue IMO - its not too different to say a London based Arab publication refusing to run a pro-Israeli advert in their publication. Would that be anti-semetic/racist? I wouldn't say it is as its the message/advert they're disagreeing with not simply a refusal to run an advert because the person requesting it happens to be Jewish.

Back
Top Bottom