Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

The song is by Dana Dawson.

And one of the many acceptable definitions of Family is:

A group of people related by blood or marriage....a married couple is a family.

So on both counts you were wrong.

Come now, most people would know that two people are not a 'group' and thus a couple would not constitute a family by that definition. The definition you're using is clearly relating to extended families, which are an altogether different concept than the family unit. Look at the synonyms and it should be self-evident. I've certainly never heard anyone refer to a couple (homosexual or otherwise) as a 'family'.

Not that it matters much either way, since it doesn't change the thrust of my argument.

Last edited:
Is that homophobia bro?
Well a phobia can be an intense and irrational fear of a given situation, organism, or object as dictionaries might state, i am aware that some people are homophobic, i am aware that some fear beards (Pogonophobia) or even fear of spiders (arachnophobia) i don't fear homosexuals/gay people/lgbt nor beards or spiders :D, in fact i tend to show respect to all human beings in my day to day life but i don't accept everyone's behaviour or conduct.

I still cannot give blood simply because I had a blood transfusion after 1980.

Given the screening we can now do I have no idea why I can't.

I can't give blood in the US because I lived in the UK before so i obviously have mad cow disease....

Come now, most people would know that two people are not a 'group' and thus a couple would not constitute a family by that definition. The definition you're using is clearly relating to extended families, which are an altogether different concept than the family unit. Look at the synonyms and it should be self-evident. I've certainly never heard anyone refer to a couple (homosexual or otherwise) as a 'family'.

Not that it matters much either way, since it doesn't change the thrust of my argument.

A family is defined simply by how the people in it refer to and recognise their own shared life...they need not even be married, they simply have to recognise themselves as having that commitment to each other.

A group is also defined as two or more subjects that make up a collective unit.

So again, you are wrong.

Last edited:
I can't give blood in the US because I lived in the UK before so i obviously have mad cow disease....

Well, they might have a point there.....:p

Seriously though, it's all a bit daft given that we can screen for these things and that as long as a particular length of time has passed surely the risks are increasingly small.

A family is defined simply by how the people in it refer to and recognise their own shared life...they need not even be married, they simply have to recognise themselves as having that commitment to each other.

A group is also defined as two or more subjects that make up a collective unit.

So again, you are wrong.

It looks like you're just making things up on the spot now, but as I said, these semantics are irrelevant. Everyone knows what it meant by 'family unit' (your original wording) and it's not a couple; it's a couple with children.

You are wrong.

It looks like you're just making things up on the spot now, but as I said, these semantics are irrelevant. Everyone knows what it meant by 'family unit' (your original wording) and it's not a couple; it's a couple with children.

You are wrong.

It's true that a "family" means more than a couple, so would indicate children.

However, it isn't true that children are the only reason to bother getting married.

You are wrong.

A family unit can any group related to each by blood or marriage, it doesn't require more than two people, but can refer to a parent and children, not even a couple and children. Or a parent and child. Or is a patent and child not a family because there is only two of them?

You are wrong...look it up in whatever dictionaries and references you wish.

A family can be defined as a couple with children...that is but one of many accepted definitions of the term family.

Last edited:
You can also use that term in other ways, for example getting a pet, particularly a dog. Just because there is one definition of a Family doesn't mean that every family must fulfil that specific definition.

Exactly family can mean just two people, if that's whatever they consider themselves.

You can also use that term in other ways, for example getting a pet, particularly a dog. Just because there is one definition of a Family doesn't mean that every family must fulfil that specific definition.

Wut? I'll keep that in mind, next time a couple say they are planning to start a family, I'll remember the possibility they may be talking about adopting hamster.....

Wut? I'll keep that in mind, next time a couple say they are planning to start a family, I'll remember the possibility they may be talking about adopting hamster.....

I would, a friend of ours introduced their new dog recently as the "new addition to their family" so it's him, his wife and their newly adopted rescue puppy.

I would, a friend of ours introduced their new dog recently as the "new addition to their family" so it's him, his wife and their newly adopted rescue puppy.

I find it hard to believe you'd genuinely think, "Hmmm do they mean a child or a pet?" if a couple approached you and actually said, "Castiel, we've decided to start a family!"

Back
Top Bottom