Ballistix Sport LT Overclocking

Soldato
Thanks.

I'm running the 8Pack TeamGroup 2x8gb 3600 and i could most prob get a good price for these to cover most of the price of the 32gb kit.

Soldato
Ive read the 16gb 3000mhz kit is the best one to go for as it may clock slightly better than the 3200mhz? with the current offers there is only a couple quid between them so just trying to decide which is best.
Will be paired with a Ryzen 2600.

Associate
Ive read the 16gb 3000mhz kit is the best one to go for as it may clock slightly better than the 3200mhz? with the current offers there is only a couple quid between them so just trying to decide which is best.
Will be paired with a Ryzen 2600.

Technically yes, get whichever is cheaper the binning differences between the two is pretty small.
It stems from the fact that tRCD doesn't scale with voltage on Micron E-die so 3000Mhz with 16 tRCD is an ever so slightly better bin than 3200Mhz with 18 tRCD. This probably won't make much of a difference if at all.

Soldato
Technically yes, get whichever is cheaper the binning differences between the two is pretty small.
It stems from the fact that tRCD doesn't scale with voltage on Micron E-die so 3000Mhz with 16 tRCD is an ever so slightly better bin than 3200Mhz with 18 tRCD. This probably won't make much of a difference if at all, so get whichever is cheapest.
Thanks for the quick reply, will go for the 3000mhz. Cheers

Associate
@MegaPinches
How low you can get tRFC seems to depend on the silicon lottery, my kit can do 580 at 3733Mhz and 560 at 3600Mhz (2000 * timing / DDR frequency = ~310ns) both tested with over 16 hours of RamTest. Micron E-die seems to be able to do 300 to 350ns for tRFC, with some kits doing better than others here.

And even with 1.05v VDDG or even 1.1v VDDG I still ended up getting audio stutters at 3733Mhz, if you get unlucky then you might not get past 1800~1833Mhz on the IF without encountering issues with error correction causing audio stutters.

Also I agree that DRAM calculator isn't perfectly tuned for E-die some of the timings it gives you make no difference, like having tRCD (WR) different from tRCD (RD), it'll have no impact on performance.

Some sure fire settings from my point of view would be 3600Mhz DDR / 1800Mhz FCLK, tCL 16, tRCDRD 20, tRCDWR 20, tRP 20, tRAS 40, tRC 60, tRFC 620, DRAM 1.40v, vSOC 1.1v, vDDG 1.0v, vDDP 0.9v, Power Down Mode disabled, Gear Down Mode enabled and leave everything else on auto. I think these should post and be stable on most setups.

Soldato
I updated my wife's MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC yesterday to the latest BIOS (with AGESA 1.0.0.4B) and thought I'd take the opportunity to try overclocking her SR Ballistix LTs again. Nope. Under no circumstances are they stable at 3200 MT/s (XMP is 3000 MT/s). I've tried using the XMP settings, Thaiphoon/Ryzen DRAM Calculator settings, settings copied from my machine, manually loosening timings, upping CLDO_VDDP and CLDO_VDDG, upping DRAM voltage to 1.43 V, nothing works. Most of the time it doesn't even boot but on the rare occasion I get to Windows it crashes within 1 second of starting a CPU test in OCCT.

Very odd, considering my DR kit can reach 3600 MT/s. I wonder if it's the old memory hole problem, in which case I might try just going for 3533 or 3600 MT/s instead.

Associate
Did you set vSOC at 1.1v? Also try with ProcODT at 40ohm and see if that works.
Might be worth a shot to set VTT_DDR to half of the DRAM voltage.
Also make sure that tCWL is set the same as tCL, that can also prevent you from booting if the motherboard bios doesn't automatically set it right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you set vSOC at 1.1v? Also try with ProcODT at 40ohm and see if that works.
Might be worth a shot to set VTT_DDR to half of the DRAM voltage.
Also make sure that tCWL is set the same as tCL, that can also prevent you from booting if the motherboard bios doesn't automatically set it right.
SOC and VTT_DDR are already at those settings. Haven't tried messing with procOCT yet - my own experience is that it doesn't help at all but worth a try I suppose. Can't remember the exact values I set for tCL and tCWL, will check later.

Soldato
Not gonna have a chance to play with it again until mid-week but I just checked the settings I used and both tCL and tCWL were at 14. I copied my spreadsheet to Google Sheets so you can see exactly what I tried:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CUP5Y5mNU43syZv57XcHCjeaRLDEq6Hs2JYwUyjCe1A

The "3000 XMP" column is stable XMP settings for this kit. The "3200 DR Kit (other PC)" column is settings I use for my DR kit on my PC at 3200 MT/s, which is again stable. The "3200 Thaiphoon" column is what DRAM Calc recommends for this kit when Thaiphoon Burner readings are imported. The PC is running the latest AGESA 1.0.0.4B BIOS, latest chipset drivers, and latest Windows version.

Associate
It stems from the fact that tRCD doesn't scale with voltage on Micron E-die so 3000Mhz with 16 tRCD is an ever so slightly better bin than 3200Mhz with 18 tRCD. This probably won't make much of a difference if at all.

Does that apply to the 2x16 kits as well? I had been looking at getting the BLS2K16G4D32AESC 2x16 3200 kit but BLS2K16G4D30AESC 2x16 3000 could be a better idea?

I've not been in-the-loop for an age, since skylake was new. I'm putting together a Ryzen 3000/B450 setup and had no idea RAM had become such a nuanced topic. I think I've tried to cram in too much at once!

Associate
It does, but honestly just get whichever is cheaper.

I'll do that. Cheers.

I suppose another thing I was wondering about was getting 2x8gb now and 2x8gb later, like in January or so. Assuming I get the same Ballistix Sport LT sku then the problems should be on the minor side? Or do I just aim for the total amount I'm after and get one kit?

I'm thinking with a bit fiddling it should be doable and it would save me some money in the short term, which at this time of year wouldn't be awful.

Soldato
I'll do that. Cheers.

I suppose another thing I was wondering about was getting 2x8gb now and 2x8gb later, like in January or so. Assuming I get the same Ballistix Sport LT sku then the problems should be on the minor side? Or do I just aim for the total amount I'm after and get one kit?

I'm thinking with a bit fiddling it should be doable and it would save me some money in the short term, which at this time of year wouldn't be awful.

Personally, I would go for 2x16Gb sticks. You would get the full potential that way. Running 4x8Gb is a bit hit or miss still.

Back
Top Bottom