BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

I want to get this monitor but I am not sure, my main concern is backlight bleed. I do not want backlight bleed, a lot of the time I will be watching or playing in a dark room.

I have this monitor. I watch movies/tv shows on it, in the dark, (I doubt you will be watching as much as I do) and I have no issues with any backlight bleeding. There is no backlight bleed.

I think the problem is that there is a quality control issue where some monitors are slipping through the net, that have problems with them. But, if you get a good one, then you wont be dissapointed (unless of course, you expect CRT performance ;)).

I have this monitor. I watch movies/tv shows on it, in the dark, (I doubt you will be watching as much as I do) and I have no issues with any backlight bleeding. There is no backlight bleed.

I think the problem is that there is a quality control issue where some monitors are slipping through the net, that have problems with them. But, if you get a good one, then you wont be dissapointed (unless of course, you expect CRT performance ;)).

Yeah but since there is no way of knowing I will get one like yours, what do I do if I don't?

If there is back light bleed, you have 2 options:

1. take a picture, showing the backlight bleed and send OCUK a webnote informing them of this problem, with a link to the picture. You could also do this via email. They will then organise an exchange free of charge. They will send a courier to pick up the item and a few days later should ship out the replacment. Some people have had problems convincing OCUK's tech dept that there is anything wrong with the monitor, hence the picture of the problem area, to assist.

2. when it arrives, check the monitor. If it has any problems you can return it under distance selling regulations, within 7 days. The caveat here though is that you will have to ensure that the monitor is in resaleable condition (ie. dont damage the packaging) and you will have to pay for the to get it from your house to OCUK. If you choose this option, you dont have to tell OCUK anything, just that you wish to return the item under DSRs.

Keep in mind that all LCDs suffer from this kind of (QC) lottery. The QC on LCDs in general, isnt of a high standard, so you could decide to get a DELL, Samsung or any other brand and have exactly the same problems.

Will I be able to run the latest games like Crysis and COD4 smoothly wiht a MSI 8800GT overclocked wiht this monitor, or does 24" widescreen take up a lot of resources?

I believe others have stated that games run fine, even at the high resolution required for this monitor, using a 8800GT video card. However, if you feel that the frame rate is too low, you can always run the monitor at 1680x1050, to play games. At this resolution, games still look pretty good. In fact, somebody earlier in this thread stated that they forgot to change the res back to native res and played using 1680x1050, without even realising.

I believe others have stated that games run fine, even at the high resolution required for this monitor, using a 8800GT video card. However, if you feel that the frame rate is too low, you can always run the monitor at 1680x1050, to play games. At this resolution, games still look pretty good. In fact, somebody earlier in this thread stated that they forgot to change the res back to native res and played using 1680x1050, without even realising.

So will a game like Crysis run smooth and good performance? And will COD4 on highest settings run with high fps on 1900x1200?

So will a game like Crysis run smooth and good performance? And will COD4 on highest settings run with high fps on 1900x1200?

At full res, you will have to wait for someone who owns the same video card as yourself to reply and give you a definitive answer. Running at a lower resolution on this monitor is a perfectly acceptable/playable option, though.

I run this monitor and a 8800gtsc . With COD4 at 1920x1200 and all setting ( including 4xAA ) and it looks jaw droppingly good . Crysis I play on 1680 x 1050 , all on high but no AA and it still looks amazing . Crysis gets 25 - 35 fps and COD4 gets 45 - 60 fps !

Buy one and love gaming again

First post on here!

I've been following this thread since it's beginning and I bought one of these monitors just before Christmas on the strength of what was said about it on here ( the price helped as well! ), and it is the buy of the year as far as i'm concerned. I downloaded Dead Pixel Buddy - no stuck or dead pixels, no backlight bleed, I am a very happy boy! Only problem is my missus is not to happy with me 'cause I had to buy an 8800GTX to drive it properly.

Got this monitor when it was on the Weekend deal and am loving it, 1 dead pixel bottom right but i only noticed it after weeks of looking.
My dad saw it in all its glory running COD4 at Max settings and asked me to get him one to use in video editing. Are the current ones still shipping with the odd issue are has QC picked out all the dodgy ones?
Cheers

Well, i just screwed over a Dell 22" to order this one, i hope this sucker impresses me :) I cant help but think the res is over kill (for my 8800GT) :o. Come Friday, this is gonna be mad !

Mines ordered and should be with me on thursday, fingers crossed its as good as you all say it is. Im jumping from a 19" iiyama vision master pro 454 as its been acting strange the past few weeks. Think it was just trying to tell me how much of a bargain this monitor is. :p

I'm very tempted but I just dont know whether or not to get a 24" monitor or spend £400 on a Toshiba 32". The size of the screen on the toshiba is swaying me slightly, but the quality of picture and 1080p ability of the 24" DGM is swaying me too.

Problem is, anything larger than a 24" monitor jumps up to about £600... Where as for £400 I can get a HD TV...

Back
Top Bottom