BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

I have the same issue with the change in apparent brightness when moving my head a few inches. It's most obvious on dark areas, and I'm a bit disappointed with the black level too. If I use any of the calibration screens the black doesn't get any deeper below about 50% brightness. The backlighting is pretty even - it's just that a blank screen is mid grey rather than black.

I'm sure it isn't a TN panel because the colours don't collapse completely looking from below, but it is a bit less impressive than I'd hoped.

Alan

Giving mine a few days before I start to complain on the colours, agree with what you said but i assume the panel needs a few hours to burn in.

What worries me is the following test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#angle

Mine changes brightness and colour.

If viewed facing the monitor, topleft letters appear green but other corners the letters blend into the background.

If viewed from an angle of about 45 degrees from the left, the colours of the letters appear reddish. If viewed at 45 degrees from the right, letters are green but blend into the background at various places.

Last edited:
MY BIOS stretches off the screen as well. No problem really as fine in windows, but anyway to fix this?

Yep! Just alter the settings from the buttons on your monitor so that BIOS fits to screen on boot-up, it will not affect the desktop settings in windows. I assume your using VGA cable and not DVI at the moment as it shouldn't happen with the latter. :)

Is it normal for the bios screens for motherboards to be "stretched" on this LCD, it's still 95% viewable but some text is outside the viewable area of the screen, even the post text

Screen adjustment has no effect, and besides when I'm in XP everything is spot on then

Curious........
Ta

As above. :)

Similar to mine ^^^

What should happen?

From that site:

"Viewing angle test

LCD monitors are usually advertised as having a viewing angle of somewhere between 140 and 165 degrees. This means that you can still see what's on the display if you are looking at it at 70 to 83 degrees from the side. However, most of the time, you will be sitting roughly straight in front of the screen, which means that you are looking at 0 degrees to the center of the screen and at most 45 degrees to the sides. Compared to the advertised viewing angle, it is much more relevant that the display does not change brightness or color in the corners. The following test images are best viewed from a distance of approximately equal to the diagonal of the display.
Viewing angle and gamma

The word 'lagom' on this image should blend in with the background everywhere; otherwise the gamma curve of your monitor is dependent on the viewing angle, which is the case with most displays based on TN technology. Typically, the letters appear blue-green at the top and red at the bottom. Note: this test image requires that the screen operates in its native resolution and that the image is not scaled"

Strange because now it's red from any angle but not uniformly over the whole screen (some darker, some lighter)

Yep! Just alter the settings from the buttons on your monitor so that BIOS fits to screen on boot-up, it will not affect the desktop settings in windows. I assume your using VGA cable and not DVI at the moment as it shouldn't happen with the latter. :)

i'M USING dvi :s

Never seen it happen with DVI but I suppose it could be the same, give it a try as any alteration on the boot-up screen will not alter your windows desktop settings. Its a little like when you play a game it uses a different resolution than what windows does unless you alter it yourself.

^ I'm curious now, it's not really a problem but want to understand why it does it, only on post, boot & bios though

yes this is happening to me. As far as i can see it is a real problem. If i had known this i would not have ordered this moniotor. Just try an install SUSE linux when you cannot see the whole screen. Had to use another monoitor just to install before the graphics card switched to a high res screen.

Love to know how to fix it.

Thanks, just tried that but in the OSD menu the H-Position and V-Position are "whited out" and inaccessible so I can't change, this is also true when in XP, I can only change the OSD menu position with the Misc menu, not the actual screen position itself - very strange this

Thanks, just tried that but in the OSD menu the H-Position and V-Position are "whited out" and inaccessible so I can't change, this is also true when in XP, I can only change the OSD menu position with the Misc menu, not the actual screen position itself - very strange this

exactly same here. Like I said,no biggie for me but would be nice to fix it.

Sorry to hear this guys. Two things to try would be [1] boot in safe mode and try to alter from there. [2] connect via VGA cable to alter the settings as the controls would not be grayed out.

Desktop and web browsing seems ok but with hd videos there appears to be a lot of constant picture noise (obvious flickering grain). I'm using an old X800GTO card, connected via DVI and running desktop at 1920X1200. Same issues connecting with VGA.

To watch the hd videos, i'm using k-lite codecs, ffdshow and media player classic. I have tried VLC player but that grinds to a halt for some reason but the grain is also apparent. The videos are 1080p from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tshowcase.aspx

I've also installed the latest Ati drivers for the card and CCC. Other components are Opteron [email protected], raptor hd, 2Gb corsair RAM, DFI RDX200-CF-DR board.

Is the graphics card the likely culprit or is my new monitor the problem? Are there any tests i can do which might narrow the problem down?

Thanks
(edit-also queried in graphics card section if you don't mind in case it is more specific)

Last edited:
Have you tried using Windows Media Player?

Have you tried playing good quality SD material, such as that from a DVD?

What filters do you have selected in ffdshow? If you have 'sharpen' on, this might be contributing towards the grain.

I seem to have a problem!

Monitor no longer receives a signal (or so it says) just gives a black screen with a 10000w blue led flashing at me. Try it on another pc, same problem. They all work through VGA but not DVI, and why do i get a no input signal? It is obviously seeing something, otherwise it would come out with disconnected?

edit: FIX - reinstall drivers!

Adam

Last edited:
Just got it and WOW FREAKING WOW ! AWESOME ! Looks absolutely ridiculous on my desk aswell :D Only thing that spoils it a bit is 1 black (dead ?) pixel that i only noticed on the white google page. Otherwise this monitor is off the charts ridic ! Just need a mental graphics card to handle the high res :p (8800GT is doing alright...).

Back
Top Bottom