Bathroom ceiling caved in

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I don't see what overboarding achieves? Either the boarding is rotten and needs to be removed anyway, or it's not?

Soldato
I don't see what overboarding achieves? Either the boarding is rotten and needs to be removed anyway, or it's not?

Surely the soaking wet roof needs removed??

Firing felt on top of that roof won't solve the inherent issues of a soaking wet roof/leak and mold.....

The wood in the video is black and rotten......no way that's drying out any time soon. It needs replaced asap...

Sounds like a fast fix and pray to god that a survey when selling the house doesn't pick it up.......

Sometimes the cheapest and fastest fix isn't the best option.......

Soldato
OP
They are planks like floorboards not a big sheet of chipboard like on new builds so quite solid. But yeah can't see the point of overboarding it.

Also how easy would it come up on a survey, you wouldn't see it once ceiling is repaired. My sister and her BF had a survey done on a property before buying it and still found things later on that weren't picked up.

Soldato
They are planks like floorboards not a big sheet of chipboard like on new builds so quite solid. But yeah can't see the point of overboarding it.

Also how easy would it come up on a survey, you wouldn't see it once ceiling is repaired. My sister and her BF had a survey done on a property before buying it and still found things later on that weren't picked up.

If they cant actually see it, it wont come up.

They are not allowed to move anything. they don't even lift carpets up now due to the claim society these days

Soldato
We were looking at some cheap houses last year, ex buy to lets.They were truly minging. Pity the poor sucker who buys the house next year...

Last edited:
Associate
I've found mould on my walls, but at the point it seemed "brown". This sent me in overdrive mode to try and sort out the cause of it and clean the wall up with some anti mould spray from Screwfix. I can't even imagine what my reaction would be if I found out part of my house had that.

Soldato
At my last house I had the ceiling bow down in passage just outside the bathroom door so cut some of ceiling out and you could see the water running along groove in T&G roof from next door - The owners of next door wouldn't cough up so I had to do the lot -
Years later with new neighbours we changed flat roof to a pitch and after taking felt off I found the original leak was over next doors back door.
Big rotted chunk of the woodwork.
The OPs bathroom is totally disgusting.

Soldato
I know a lady who's bathroom looks just like that. She has health issues, and despite me telling her to fix the damp before getting someone in to fit a new bathroom suite, she didn't listen.

The mould is just like in that photo.....although it wouldn't surprise me if it was worse now.

The ceiling and walls are black.

There is a device which you can fit in the roof which maintains a constant flow of clean air, and is designed to remove mould.....although I think you are a bit beyond that stage :p

Soldato
Christ how time has flown by as I remember this thread. As above it doesn't have to be a flash new bathroom but if you do still have that damp/mould please it sorted as it will seriously be messing with your health! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom