Battlefield 3 thread - Server details in opening post -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I have a slightly older PC (just 2 years now) and I want this game to run perfectly, here is what I have;

- Asus GeForce GTX 285 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66GHz
- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
- OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Triple Channel

What (if anything) needs upgraded to run this game pretty much perfectly or what could do with updating to help it run a lot smoother?

I was thinking more RAM and a new processer?

Im not particularly the most technically minded when it comes to PC's so any help would be much appreciated!

Overclocking the processor would do wonders for the FPS add a new graphics card into the mix if you think it necessary after testing with the overclock and you're ready to rock and roll.

But that comp should run it fine however, but I'm guessing by prefectly you mean on high with aa/af on a phat resolution?

You people have been ruined by Steam sales.

It's £40 for goodness sake, it's not a rehash of an old franchise, it's not a 10 hour single player game with multiplayer tacked on, it's a brand new game on a brand new engine featuring some immensely clever technology that a lot of developers and designers spent a long time creating.

Most of you will spend about 2000 hours playing it and not give the price another thought once you've hit 'Join game' for the first time.

If you're really bothered about cost, grab the retail copy, miss 48 hours of beta & risk late delivery. The digital download option is there for convenience, which comes at a price.

Don't be daft, it's about getting the best deal and not what you're getting for the money.

If the game can be had for £28 from a retailer then why on earth would you think 'lets go spend £40 on it'? :confused:

You're not getting anything extra for your £40 purchase than the guy who got his for £28 and in any case, that extra £12 might be the difference between someone being able to afford the game or not.

I generally try not to spend over the odds on any of my purchases, not just games.

Overclocking the processor would do wonders for the FPS add a new graphics card into the mix if you think it necessary after testing with the overclock and you're ready to rock and roll.

But that comp should run it fine however, but I'm guessing by prefectly you mean on high with aa/af on a phat resolution?

Yeah basically.

I was thinking of investing in;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-193-IN
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-294-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=

To sort the pro and Ram, what sort of graphics card would you recomend? Maybe up to £200 max though I could stretch a little further by the end of September.

The RAM seems excessive, 6GB will be fine -- investing in a better processor would work wonders but have you not considered overclocking the one you have? it's a very good CPU so getting that to 3.4-4GHz would certainly see a huge increase in BC2, and I expect similar for BF3.

Would see how it performs from there before investing in a chubby graphics card.

[TW]Fox;19804582 said:
The digital download copy should be there for low cost, not convenience. It takes most people less time to go into town (and even less to have a copy drop on your doormat on the day of release whilst you are at work) than it does to download a 3Gb game anyway, and with a digital download you get less product, delivered in a far cheaper way, with far less overheads.

Everything about digital distribution, from the lack of a box, manual, etc etc to the lack of retail stores, distrubution networks, is low cost. Except the price.

Therefore I always buy retail boxed products, partly because I prefer to get more and have a nice box for my shelf but also partly because I strongly disagree with the pricing models.

Digital Distrubution has allowed companies like EA to slash cost and at the same time, hike price. And you all lap it up. No wonder they do it - supply and demand.

Agree entirely.

<3 Steam sales though :D

The RAM seems excessive, 6GB will be fine -- investing in a better processor would work wonders but have you not considered overclocking the one you have? it's a very good CPU so getting that to 3.4-4GHz would certainly see a huge increase in BC2, and I expect similar for BF3.

Would see how it performs from there before investing in a chubby graphics card.

How do I overclock something?

*Ducks and runs screaming for cover from the incoming nub insults*

Guys I have a slightly older PC (just 2 years now) and I want this game to run perfectly, here is what I have;

What (if anything) needs upgraded to run this game pretty much perfectly or what could do with updating to help it run a lot smoother?

Im not particularly the most technically minded when it comes to PC's so any help would be much appreciated!

That will should run it. I assume the CPU is overclocked?

Upgrades wise graphics card would be my first call. GTX 560/570/580 depending on budget :).

How do I overclock something?

*Ducks and runs screaming for cover from the incoming nub insults*

ah, well I'm not going to explain it to you here so I would recommend reading guides if you really want to try it yourself; if you don't know anyone who could do it for you does Overclockers not run some kind of send them your PC to be overclocked thing? they do overclocked bundles so I don't see why not if the price is right ^^

will be fine probably get about 60fps as its about recommended spec .

depends on settings .

beta soon so youll see ;)

Overclock you CPU and maybe get a new GPU if you even need to, test it during the open beta.

Don't be intimidated by OC'ing it really is quite simple and you'll get loads of help in the relevant forums on this site.

Yeah basically.

I was thinking of investing in;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-193-IN
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-294-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=

To sort the pro and Ram, what sort of graphics card would you recomend? Maybe up to £200 max though I could stretch a little further by the end of September.

Oh dear...

Dude you have an I7... that's better than a core2duo...

If anything get yourself a new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom