Battlefield 4 Thread ~ Server details in opening post ~

I have a 2500k with a mild OC to 4.2GHz and it's running nicely. No plans to change until 2015 anyway.

There's also some Geil ram less than £20 for 4GB in the forum bargains thread. Check the timings of the existing stuff in the machine.

Is it normal for it to take ages to load maps? Running spec is sig with Windows 7, game is installed on mechanical hdd but I have spare SSD space, worth moving it to there?

It takes awhile regardless - moving it to an SSD will reduce the time a bit - probably cutting around 20% but its more than file IO thats holding it back. (A bit more if your using an ancient mechanical HDD).

Yup, I have a 2500k with a decent overclock to 4.98ghz and I have no plans to change either, Intel doesn't seem able to better it by enough margin to bother changing it!

Latest patch has broke the game for me! Never really had an issue with hit reg, hadn't crashed since first few days of release. Only issues I had were sound cutting out on Golmud and Lancang.

Now I'm getting terrible reg, killed by people who have already been killed a few seconds earlier by a team mate. I shoot people, don't get any hit markers but they die, then upto 20 seconds later the hit markers flash up :confused: Also I'm lucky if I can play for more than 30 mins without getting 'bf4 has stopped working'!

Also last night I kept getting killed by what seemed like mortar but when on the death screen it showed support class and their lmg killed me. Is that a bug with the mortar or some foul play going on?

Last edited:
It takes awhile regardless - moving it to an SSD will reduce the time a bit - probably cutting around 20% but its more than file IO thats holding it back. (A bit more if your using an ancient mechanical HDD).

Will I need to do a reinstall to put it on the SSD or is there any way to copy it across. Apart from doing that is there anything else I can do to speed it up?

In origin settings, set c drive as the download destination. Start the bf4 down load in origin, let it get to 1% ono, close origin then navigate to where bf4 is installed on your hdd, copy/paste the files into c/origin games, then load up origin and commence the bf4 download, it will automatically detect the files and install the game. Once completed, right click and select repair install to check all is upto date. Also keep the original files backed up on your hdd should your ssd fail. Will save a long download if you have to reinstall.

Now I'm getting terrible reg, killed by people who have already been killed a few seconds earlier by a team mate. I shoot people, don't get any hit markers but they die, then upto 20 seconds later the hit markers flash up :confused: Also I'm lucky if I can play for more than 30 mins without getting 'bf4 has stopped working'!

Mine's been like this since day one, If I was lucky I'd get a decent night where hit reg would be fine and crashes would be minimal but most of the time it's terrible.

I can't get through a game on Paracel Storm & Dawnbreaker without a sound loop crash. Shanghai sound loops constantly to the point that it's simply unplayable, I never played the beta and as such I still don't really know the map because it's so broken for me! :eek:

I've given up on it until they get it fixed.

Will I need to do a reinstall to put it on the SSD or is there any way to copy it across. Apart from doing that is there anything else I can do to speed it up?

Theres various ways to do it - on my laptop I renamed the battlefield 4 folder (with the data in) and created a junction link from the mechanical HDD to a battlefield 4 folder on an SSD though a little complicated if you don't have experience of filesystem links.

I find the crashes where the game exe stops responding seem to depend a lot from server to server since the CR update - theres 1-2 servers I play on regularly where I know I can play atleast 3 maps in a row (on a good day I've made it a whole evening on some servers) most of the time without any crashes and other servers where I've never even made it through a map when I've tried them on multiple instances.

Also, just wanted to check, are you overclocked at all?

I only ask because there is still a part of me that is worried i am getting the crash to desktops because of my overclock. I am 99% it isn't due to the countless people complaining about crashing on the official forums and on here but there is still that element of doubt!

Also, just wanted to check, are you overclocked at all?

I only ask because there is still a part of me that is worried i am getting the crash to desktops because of my overclock. I am 99% it isn't due to the countless people complaining about crashing on the official forums and on here but there is still that element of doubt!

I can say with complete confidence that none of the crashes I'm getting are due to overclocks. If your getting the "BF4.exe has stopped responding" dialog then very high chance its due to game bugs. If your getting DX errors, straight crashes to desktop where the game completely disappears with no error message or frequent hard locks where task manager won't respond then its likely due to system instability.

I can say with complete confidence that none of the crashes I'm getting are due to overclocks. If your getting the "BF4.exe has stopped responding" dialog then very high chance its due to game bugs. If your getting DX errors, straight crashes to desktop where the game completely disappears with no error message or frequent hard locks where task manager won't respond then its likely due to system instability.

Ok, yeh i get no lock ups, no sound loops, no dx errors. The only issue i have is that it occasionally crashes back to battlelog/desktop with "Battlefield 4 has stopped working"

Have you tried at stock Jono to see if your getting the same error on ctd? I only reapplied my cpu oc this week, prior to that i just ran stock to rule out oc's as a cause of the early crashes i was getting.

Have you tried at stock Jono to see if your getting the same error on ctd? I only reapplied my cpu oc this week, prior to that i just ran stock to rule out oc's as a cause of the early crashes i was getting.

No, because I don't want to faff about with it seen as i have got it working so well (well, everything except BF4) :p

You were still getting the crashes at stock though i seem to remember?

I was yes, with the same code you posted above. That was stock cpu, ram at default of 1600mhz and stock gpu's with 2 different nv drivers. You could save your oc profile in bios and revert to running stock for a bit just to see.

I was yes, with the same code you posted above. That was stock cpu, ram at default of 1600mhz and stock gpu's with 2 different nv drivers. You could save your oc profile in bios and revert to running stock for a bit just to see.

Maybe I will one day if the crashing doesn't stop. But it sounds like it is the game, especially looking at the official forum, hearing of people at stock getting the same issue, and the consoles having crashing back to dashboard issues as well!

To be honest it isn't game breaking, sometimes i can go for hours without a crash , i just hate having crash to desktop issues hanging over a game. I remember ages ago when Skyrim was plagued by the same thing. You never knew when it would just close and chuck you back to your desktop.

Last edited:
Pretty sure its not system stability - getting the same stopped working/responding error on my laptop which is tweaked for maximum stability for playing eve online (crashing/dcing as a logistic pilot can really screw your fleet up heh).

Yep, just heard from a workmate who plays it on xbox. Basically asking if the game is as buggy on pc as it is on console. When dice screw up, they definitely dont mess about, cross platform buggyness.:D

I'm 99% sure most of the crashes that aren't due to system instability are due to audio playback issues (since reduced with CR) and communication between client<>server<>battlelog regarding stats, etc.

That the game hits CPU and GPU pretty hard will also be exposing system instability on people's setups who had a "95%" stable overclock in the first place. Contributing to the number of people experiencing crashes.

Back
Top Bottom