• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Battlefield V performance

Associate
lolRTXlol

2080 is a good card, but only a few fps over a non-oc'd 1080ti. If I was in the market now I'd get a 2070 because that is putting out some crazy numbers in certain AAA titles, miles ahead of a 1080.
Before nvidia’s planned obsolescence kicks in for the 1080ti. Look at the same numbers a year from now.

Soldato
Before nvidia’s planned obsolescence kicks in for the 1080ti. Look at the same numbers a year from now.
In a year from now the 30 series will be announced. I'll be picking up one of those... . Or possibly might even wait for the 40 series. The 1080ti is still a beast.

Associate
Have to admit since the new drivers and patch I have turned back on RTX to ultra and loving it. I also snagged a RTX 2080 with free BF5 for £587 brand new in a fire sale which arrived yesterday and that has replaced the second pc 1080 Ti.

Considering I can sell the 1080 TI on ebay when they do £1 listings for around £530 - its only cost me £30 to upgrade after selling the game code.

Caporegime

In a year from now the 30 series will be announced.

In a year from now the 30 series will be announced. I'll be picking up one of those... . Or possibly might even wait for the 40 series. The 1080ti is still a beast.

Agree

If Battlefield V had DXR fallback, will you laugh at 3.5 fps slideshow at 1440p on your very expensive £600 EOL card you regret bought?

You regret bought....doesn't make any sense.Neither does you hypothetical post created out of thin air to prove a point thats doesn't exist:p

Caporegime
Just played a few rounds of BF5 - everything set to Ultra, DX12, 1440p, Raytracing set to medium with an RTX 2080. Butter smooth, never dipped below 60 fps and looked amazing. So glad I didn't buy a 1080ti.

Trouble is I don't like my shooters really to drop below 80fps (and generally hover around 110/120), but I guess that's just a personal choice :)

Associate
In a year from now the 30 series will be announced.

Agree

You regret bought....doesn't make any sense.Neither does you hypothetical post created out of thin air to prove a point thats doesn't exist:p
I am not getting the 30 series at these crazy prices so since the rtx 2080 will be miles ahead of the 1080ti next year, it doesn’t make sense to get a 1080ti. It’s max potential has been reached unlike the 2080ti. Raytracing is also getting more optimisations in the future and performance is going to improve further.

Last edited:
Associate
64fps at 1440p on a £750 card?

Lol just lol...
Very much playable with G-Sync for me. It’s only below 50, I have to dial down the settings. I hardly notice any drop to 60 if I have turned the FPS counter off. It looks so good, I would rather die more in game as a trade off lol.

Soldato
Bying old gen is usually a false sense of economy.

Buying a 1080ti was what 80% the price of the 2080? And your buying a generation which is two years old. Lacking the next gen features coming to games.

I definitely wouldn't have chosen a 1080ti over a 2080.

Which is what I was advising to anyone that asked.

Soldato
I am not getting the 30 series at these crazy prices so since the rtx 2080 will be miles ahead of the 1080ti next year, it doesn’t make sense to get a 1080ti. It’s max potential has been reached unlike the 2080ti. Raytracing is also getting more optimisations in the future and performance is going to improve further.
Thats until it blows up and you get artifacting just after your warranty runs out or even before. A 2080ti that doesnt work is not as good as a 1080ti that does...

Caporegime
It never pays to buy old gen.

It's a false sense of economy.

Not necessarily...I have bought EOL gen and can flip tomorrow for more than what I paid.

GFX tech moves so fast that when 7nm hits the 2080ti costing £1300 will be harder to swallow than loosing a couple of hundred on a 1080ti.

Its not as simple as what you suggest.

Soldato
Its not the price that worries me so much, its the reliability and amount of returns for broken cards as well as the new beta version of RTX and its poor implementation.

Plus i wonder how much of that "optimisation" just means turning off some stuff to make it perform better.

Soldato
Not necessarily...I have bought EOL gen and can flip tomorrow for more than what I paid.

GFX tech moves so fast that when 7nm hits the 2080ti costing £1300 will be harder to swallow than loosing a couple of hundred on a 1080ti.

Its not as simple as what you suggest.

I guess so. I agree that the prices for the 2000 series are astronomical.

And I'm quite happy with my 1080 minus RT. But we'll see for how long.

We don't know if the 2000 series will last two or one year.

I thought I was happy with my 970. And waited 2.5yrs to upgrade. However I shouldn't have waited so long. And jumped on the 1000 series earlier.

I might end up making the same mistake this gen.

Waiting it out only for the 2000 series to stick around for two years and then jump on the cards when they are right at the end of their life span.

Luckily when I did buy my 1080 it lasted a year before Nvidia brought out the 2000 series.

If RT is good in Metro come Feb I might upgrade. I almost did it during Black Fri but talked myself out of it as RT in BFV at the time was terrible.

It's improved now tho.

Fly in the ointment however is DX12 is still crap in BFV even after patch and driver update. Unless it's better with the 2000 series. But AMD users also say it's crap.

Last edited:
Associate

I dont think that the 2080 will be miles ahead unless you count 10% better as miles ahead - drivers can only do so much and we have been down this road before with vega.

I thought I was happy with my 970. And waited 2.5yrs to upgrade. However I shouldn't have waited so long. And jumped on the 1000 series earlier.

It has been such a crazy time with GPU prices that it has made executive decision making a real challenge. I was thinking about a 1080 ti Sep last year but everyone says wait for new gen. So I waited a year and have ended up with the same card I was thinking about buying a year ago. If i am honest the RTX stuff does look good and there is a hint of jealousy but there but its still only 1 game at the minute and I do not know what has happened to DLSS. I do think that the 2000 series will last longer than people think and go well into 2020.
ATM the 1080 ti is still a beast and smashes everything at my res of 3440x1440 and everything in VR. I still think it will be doing this in 2020 given the rates of progress we are seeing.

Soldato
I dont think that the 2080 will be miles ahead unless you count 10% better as miles ahead - drivers can only do so much and we have been down this road before with vega.
It could be if DLSS makes a showing. We're talking about a potential of another 25%+ performance. The old Pascal cards are dead end as they have no future potential that further R&D is going to bring. At current 1080 Ti prices, they're not worth it. DLSS, RT to play with which is going to improve further.
BF is performing well with a 2080 at 1440P. If people think it's not then a 1070 Ti must also be rubbish as I'm getting the same FPS now with BFV and RT on medium as I was getting using a 1070 Ti in Farcry 5. I;m not sure I had everything on ultra with FC5 either like I do with BF5 (except RT which I set to Medium), and BFV looks far nicer. For new complex tech it's looking pretty good to be honest for an initial implementation. What we're now hearing are the death cries from the recent Pascal buyers as the end is neigh for their beliefs:D. (just teasing!).
Completely understand those wanting to wait for next gen but I think the tide is turning on the 20 series - slagging it off continually is a losing game.

Last edited:
Associate
It could be if DLSS makes a showing. We're talking about a potential of another 25%+ performance. The old Pascal cards are dead end as they have no future potential that further R&D is going to bring. At current 1080 Ti prices, they're not worth it. DLSS, RT to play with which is going to improve further.
BF is performing well with a 2080 at 1440P. If people think it's not then a 1070 Ti must also be rubbish as I'm getting the same FPS now with BFV and RT on medium as I was getting using a 1070 Ti in Farcry 5. I;m not sure I had everything on ultra with FC5 either like I do with BF5 (except RT which I set to Medium), and BFV looks far nicer. For new complex tech it's looking pretty good to be honest for an initial implementation. What we're now hearing are the death cries from the recent Pascal buyers as the end is neigh for their beliefs:D. (just teasing!).
True can't argue with this could easily see 25% improvement. For me personally the dlss/rtx games I was interested in ( sottr, hitman 2, assetto corsa & bfv) are already out so I have to justify purchase at the minute against those as they already run pretty well on eol crippled gen;).

Soldato
Not one bit. Its already common knowledge I'm skipping this gen. And I'll be going gen 3 when that hits.

599 quid is nothing to me....It really isn't...the 1080ti is a stop gap card for me.
Dont get me wrong, i think the 2080ti and the 2080 for that matter are way overpriced for me. It doesn't mean i could not buy 1 or 2 etc, but to some people the 2080ti is the best and worth the money and no amount of self justification of your purchase will change their minds, because after all, they do own the best card available atm.:)

Associate
2080ti seems to be an alpha release, they are dying left right and center. I wouldnt buy one even if it was £300. I dont trust it.
2080 is a good card, just not worth £750.
1080ti is a good card, just not worth £620-699.
2070 is a good card, but not worth £500.

and RTX is a complete joke. its beta. by the 30 series it should be ready, and when I say ready, I mean 100-144fps at 1440p.
the performance hit now is too great.

Back
Top Bottom