BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
BBC and Sky sharing F1 rights between 2012 and 2018.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

Sky will show every race, qualifying and practice session live. The BBC will show half the races live and will show every session from those GPs.

How **** :/. So now I'm going to have to spend even longer trying to escape hearing the results before I can watch the race or I can fork out for Sky (which isn't going to happen).

I wonder what will happen to Brundle and Coulthard too? Just as we finally get some half decent commentary.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
*sigh*

Well, that's that then. Because I'll be damned if I invest in a Sky subcription just to watch F1's twilight years slip by in a haze of poorly thought-out rules, bizarre stewards decisions and dull races in countries that don't give a toss about real motor racing on bland tracks designed by some German bloke.

****. That.

F1 will probably lose me as a viewer now, no way am I paying for Sky and its pointless watching half a season what were BBC thinking.
True fans now have a choice to pay more or basically stop watching, semi fans maybe ok with the glory races, ie silverstone last race of season etc

sad sad times for me, I lost interest in F1 when on ITV and im not going to put myself through the same with Sky. I fear I will watch this season then consign it to history.

Associate
So much for Bernie's Free-to-Air guarantee however I understand from a business perspective why he's done it :(

Thanks for the 20 odd years of entertainment F1 but after this, forget it .. I'm not giving Sky a penny to watch it in SD or HD

Man of Honour
Contrary to others it seems, I'm actually really happy about this, Sky generally take the coverage of a sport to a whole new level and I find their sports coverage second to none. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with F1

Soldato
*sigh*

Well, that's that then. Because I'll be damned if I invest in a Sky subcription just to watch F1's twilight years slip by in a haze of poorly thought-out rules, bizarre stewards decisions and dull races in countries that don't give a toss about real motor racing on bland tracks designed by some German bloke.

****. That.

Bye Bye F1 :(

Man of Honour
Contrary to others it seems, I'm actually really happy about this, Sky generally take the coverage of a sport to a whole new level and I find their sports coverage second to none. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with F1

But have to pay for a service, then what another £20 on top of that per month. That's like £25 a race or something.

Actually they show half the races so it's more like £50 a race,

Especially as when I move house I was planning on going sat free view.

Let's just hope by then, sky player is even better and you can just buy a particular sport.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think F1 viewing numbers in the UK will suffer a huge drop because of this decision.

AFAIK it's staying free-to-air in the rest of Europe?

Soldato
Psycho Ned said:
Could see a possible 2 tier level of coverage with just the race FTA on BBC or ITV and all the other stuff (practice, quali, maybe support races) all live on Sky/PPV giving the hardcores a route to get full coverage and the BBC maybe a cheaper deal.
Wasn't far off :p

It's better than losing the BBC completely I suppose but only having half the races is going to struggle to keep the average viewer interested.

Man of Honour
This sucks, Sky will no doubt provide good coverage, but it will be back to the days of ITV, ads mid race and all sorts.

I love Sky, but the BBC have done a fantastic job and I was hoping it would stay there

Jamie Redknapp to do commentary? ;) :p

Man of Honour
But have to pay for a service, then what another £20 on top of that per month. That's like £25 a race or something.

Actually they show half the races so it's more like £50 a race,

Doesn't bother me , I already have all the sky channels so I don't have to pay anything extra.

Associate
I'm not bothered about the fact it's going on sky as I have sky sports already and this means my other half will be happy to keep sky sports now as she likes the F1 too. However I hope they don't put adverts on during it, as they are showing ALL the races live they would be a bit stupid to do that, who would watch the races that are on the BBC as well on sky if we have to put up with adverts.

Soldato
Should be Ben Edwards tbh he did it when Sky had the PPV F1 a few years back and does the BTCC at the minute.

Sky will certainly do the sport justice imo they'll pump a fortune into the coverage it's just the pay and adverts aspect which will suck for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom