BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. What we have in 2012 is an exit strategy.
Are BBC going to show any races at all, in 2013?

The BBC have a contract untill 2018 I think. However, it is a much cheaper contract than the previous one they had that ran untill 2015(ish).

The new contract is also a joint Sky/BBC contract, and I would bet my house that their are 'exit strategies' in that contract that allow the Sky to buy BBC out.

The BBC wanted to drop F1 all together, but breaking the contract was to costly. They now have a new contract, and have avoided any fees for breaking the old one, but their desire to drop F1 coverage will not have gone away.

Dice, thats why your comment is funny. The BBC will not throw money at something they are trying to drop due to its high costs.

I think MotoGP style coverage by 2013 or 2014 is the most likely option. A certain number of races live, with the program starting 2 minutes before the race, and ending after the podium.

Last edited:
AFAIK it wasnt a public bid so to speak - BBC took Sky with their formulated deal to Bernie and then Bernie asked other programmers if they were interested in bidding, C4 were (but dont think their complete bid was ready, but what they had was very well put together) while ITV declined - unsure if Five did bid either...

The BBC conciously went with Sky to prevent other terrestial competitors getting the coverage, who knows if Sky were that interested in F1, no doubt they had the money to pick it up. Sky were not going to ignore the bow adorned present the BBC offered were they?

ps3ud0 :cool:

I'm pretty pleased with that lineup. The commentary team is exactly what I wanted, we still have Ted & Natalie in the pit lane reporting, and well, the others we'll see because they'll simply be working on shows we didn't get before anyway so if anything they'll be a bonus. The only one I'm waiting to see how well it works out is Lazenby as I haven't seen much of his anchoring efforts before.

To have Brundle, Crofty & Davidson in the comms box is perfect. Brundle/Crofty Quali/Race, Crofty/Davidson practice. Great.

Last edited:
Sky have been after F1 for a while, both as a broadcaster, and actually buying the commercial rights from FOM.
How long is a while and does it extend to when the BBC took over? If its not that long its not a while :p and if it is then why didnt they bid when the BBC did?

Actually think you are mistaken vague interest for something else...

Last edited:
How long is a while and does it extend to when the BBC took over? If its not that long its not a while :p and if it is then why didnt they bid when the BBC did?

IIRC, Sky weren't allowed, it had to go to a FTA provider. Part of the Concorde agreement, though I may be mistaken and if so I'll stand corrected :)

edit - actually I see the rule is must not 'only be shown on pay television' so I suppose in that respect, yes why didn't Sky bid then? But then I suppose back then the BBC hadn't forecast the freeze in licence fees and wouldn't foresee the cutbacks they have to make and wouldn't have entered into a partnership with Sky.

Last edited:
IIRC, Sky weren't allowed, it had to go to a FTA provider. Part of the Concorde agreement, though I may be mistaken and if so I'll stand corrected :)

edit - actually I see the rule is must not 'only be shown on pay television' so I suppose in that respect, yes why didn't Sky bid then? But then I suppose back then the BBC hadn't forecast the freeze in licence fees and wouldn't foresee the cutbacks they have to make and wouldn't have entered into a partnership with Sky.
Unsure as I thought it ended up just being a renewal? Some rumours abound that Sky couldnt have made an offer without have a FTA broadcaster as their trojan horse. No doubt the 2013 version will have that clause removed ;)

You could be right - though Sky could have easily gone to ITV with a similar offer to what they have now, if indeed they were actually that interested...

Last edited:
I'm pretty pleased with that lineup. The commentary team is exactly what I wanted, we still have Ted & Natalie in the pit lane reporting, and well, the others we'll see because they'll simply be working on shows we didn't get before anyway so if anything they'll be a bonus. The only one I'm waiting to see how well it works out is Lazenby as I haven't seen much of his anchoring efforts before.

To have Brundle, Crofty & Davidson in the comms box is perfect. Brundle/Crofty Quali/Race, Crofty/Davidson practice. Great.

I like Lazenby when he does the anchoring role for rugby on Sky, hopefully he'll make a good transition into F1.

Break down:

Presenters: Simon Lazenby & Georgie Thomson \o/
Commentary (Practice sessions): David Croft & Anthony Davidson
Commentary (Races): David Croft & Martin Brundle
Pundits: Anthony Davidson & possibly Mark Blundell or Tony Jardine, although they haven't been confirmed.
Pitlane Reporters: Natalie Pinkham & Ted Kravitz.

Brundle will also continue to present features about the technology of F1, and it's personalities. Steve Rider will also interview the 'Legends of F1', but won't be directly involved in presenting the coverage.

There will also be a round up magazine show after a GP, hosted by Ted Kravitz & Georgie Thompson.

Picture to go with the text -

a1pmd.jpg

Croft and Brundle will be an excellent commentary team, I reckon.

As I have said before, if the BBC still have any live F1 coverage in 2018 I will eat my hat.
I could see it actually, but only if the Sky venture fails to get the viewers they want. They can't be bothered to keep it going, ITV aren't too interested, and thus the price for the next deal drops.

That's assuming Sky would give up on a sport once they've gotten control of it though, which is highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom