BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as virginmedia are going to charge the earth for the sky sports package, I was wondering if it was possible to buy a cheap satellite kit from b&Q and tune it into one of the foreign satellites. Are there any French, German, whatever channels that are showing it for free? the sound I can use from radio 5.

Yes you can.
One thing to remember though is that the owner of the account can only register 2 devices at one time, however, you are able to un-register devices on the Sky Go website, so you could register your pc on your family's account and then un-register it at the end of the season.

Nice thanks, none of them ever use it anyway so i will get Sky movies and sports for free :P

I should add to this that you can only change a single device registration once per calendar month. For example if I have two devices and change one to another device I will be stuck like that until the 1st of the next month.

Also the Android app should be out before the first race of the season too.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7456424/Sky-Sports-News-announces-2012-plans

Sky Sports News will broadcast from the site of every 2012 Grand Prix for six days and will be in attendance for every day of every test session, the channel have announced.

Two dedicated reporters - Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater - will be embedded to work amongst the teams both at races and during the upcoming 'test season', with the channel pledging to "provide viewers with breaking news stories, detailed analysis and extensive coverage of each Grand Prix, including on-site build-up and reporting for all 20 races."

In what sounds like manna from heaven for F1 aficionados, it's also been eye-catchingly revealed that Brookes and Slater will be broadcasting "up to six days of coverage from each Grand Prix, with on-site reports beginning each Tuesday and running through the week to post-race reaction." (:o) :D

"This is the ultimate news service for F1," enthused Andy Cairns, Sky Sports News HD Executive Editor.

"Our reporters will be trackside and in the Sky Sports News HD studio ensuring viewers are always up to date with what's happening on and off the track.

"And viewers with iPads will be able to follow our F1 coverage wherever they happen to be via the new Sky Sports News app which features on-demand video, the latest news and interviews, data as well as Sky Sports News itself."

The channel has already broadcast bespoke features from the headquarters of Caterham, Williams and Marussia, and will be in attendance for the launches of the 2012 cars and driver line-ups throughout February.

That sounds like absolutely stunning coverage!!

I saw that and thought overkill, what are they going to be reporting on the Tuesday? Most teams don't turn up till Wednesday do they? Perhaps rolling repeated reports, much like SSN do now about how the advertising boardings are going up :p

Also makes me wonder if this will be shared footage on the F1 channel too, doesn't seem to make sense that they would have different broadcasts from the same place going on. I'm not complaing as it'll give me something to watch pretty much all the time, but 6 days from the track...

They need to be a bit snappier on reporting of F1 news too, currently the website and Twitter feeds are woefully behind other online sources, inc. BBC. They've already had a bit of flack about it. They were still posting about yesterdays Catherham images this morning, even though everyone saw them yesterday.

Last edited:
This year will be about Sky spending loads of money getting subscribers, next year they will have adds and most likely 4 days of content, quality not quantity Sky...

This year will be about Sky spending loads of money getting subscribers, next year they will have adds and most likely 4 days of content, quality not quantity Sky...

This is my fear.

But I am equally as sceptical about the BBC's continued coverage. I am fully expecting them to be winding down coverage as much as they can in the next few years.

Who cares what sky are doing. I dont have it and wont be buying it!

Good for you. Those who have Sky might care though...

No, thats the old contract.

The deal to share coverage with Sky is a new contract that runs to 2017 that replaced the old one.

But if the BBC didn't put in conditions that allow them to wind back their live coverage, I would be very surprised.

Last edited:
No, this is good.

Spain needs to go without decent F1 coverage. Then they will loose interest, and at least one, or maybe even both of their races will be dropped and taken to far more interesting circuits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom