BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my fear.

But I am equally as sceptical about the BBC's continued coverage. I am fully expecting them to be winding down coverage as much as they can in the next few years.

To put my BBC hat, on the back of all our ID badges it states the 4 BBC values are Trust, Audiences, Quality and Respect, so hopefully they just carry on as they are.

No, this is good.

Spain needs to go without decent F1 coverage. Then they will loose interest, and at least one, or maybe even both of their races will be dropped and taken to far more interesting circuits!

Sadly they still have the catalan tv station showing the races, which i always found odd. BBC can't afford f1 but a regional tv station can, even without adverts. On the positive side no spanish speaking coverage could finaly kill valencia.

is it? the uk market is fairly small ? arent we only suposed to be something like 5%
By market I mean how much F1 is worth - the advertising value etc. This has little to do with how popular F1 is and a lot to do with how rich people in the UK are. 2 million people watching in the UK is a larger market than 10 million watching in India for example.

But it could also be said that watchers in the UK are more likely to be in a position to buy something from the sponsors than people in India?
For sure, that's all part of it. F1 in the UK is particularly valuable the typical audience is a low-TV watching cohort with high disposable income. Guaranteed exposure to that audience is worth far more than the same 30 seconds in the middle of X-Factor for example.

High economic growth != high GDP per capita necessarily; or disposable income...

The average displosable income per person might well be lower, however, this is a developing economy. What this means is that there are a lot of up and comers...people who are emerging with money. If you have advertising/marketing in place, then you will be there to take advantage of any new money which becomes available to people.

The UK is a mature market, so to speak. What this means is that it is already saturated with advertising and marketing from rival (car) companies. In India, there is very little exposure to companies such as Mercedes or BMW. They have heard of these brands, but nothing to the same level as what we have in the UK.

Put it another way. If I had US$1M to invest in a business. I would first look towards investing this in China or India. My belief is that the returns in these 2 countries will be the highest (albeit with slightly higher risk).

For the above reasons, it could prove VERY lucrative to venture into an emerging economy such as India and China. This is the very reason that despite the low turn outs, F1 bosses are "pushing" F1 into these emerging markets.

A lot of people think that Ecclestone is an idiot. I would say that he is a businessman of the very highest order and knows exactly what he is doing. No other man or woman on this planet could run the F1 show in quite the same way he has and if he is pushing F1 in China and India, there is good (financial) reasons for this. After all, there are very few people on this planet who are better at making money, than Bernie. ;)

Sky F1 will also cover GP2 AND GP3 races LIVE!

Sky have confirmed they will broadcast GP2 and GP3 live on their F1 channel in 2012:

SKY SPORTS viewers will get a glimpse into the future of motorsport with live coverage of the GP2TM and GP3 TM series on Sky Sports F1TM HD.

Executive Producer Martin Turner said: “We are delighted to be showing GP2 and GP3 live on Sky Sports F1 HD. There are six former GP2 champions in Formula 1 this season, including Lewis Hamilton and last year’s winner Romain Grosjean. The series promises nail-biting and fascinating racing and we’ll track gifted drivers through the ranks as they aim for Formula 1.”

Like Formula 1TM, GP2TM and GP3TM cars are single seaters. The two series share constructors, engine manufacturers and tyre suppliers, although GP2TM cars are bigger and faster, with larger, more powerful engines. GP3 TM is seen as a feeder series to GP2TM, generating exciting wheel-to-wheel racing. Last season’s GP3TM champion Valtteri Bottas is currently a Williams F1TM test driver.

The 12-round 2012 GP2TM series will begin in Malaysia on 23 – 25 March and follows a global circuit through 10 countries. Sky Sports F1TM HD will show the two races per weekend; a feature race and a shorter sprint race.

Current GP2TM series team champions Barwa Addax will be looking to retain their title with two new drivers starting on the grid in the 2012 season. With 2011 GP2TM Drivers champion Romain Grosjean moving to Formula 1TM in 2012 to race alongside Kimi Raikonnen for Lotus team, the 13 teams and 26 drivers will battle to find a new champion this season.

The GP3TM series circuit moves around European race tracks in eight rounds, and ten teams will race both feature and sprint races on consecutive days. This coming 2012 season, the team behind the newly-named Lotus GP will be looking to make it three out of three seasons at the top of both the driver and team podiums and emerge double champions yet again.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/gp2/forum/topic/gp2-and-gp3-to-be-shown-live-on-sky-f1-channel/

SUH-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom