BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Whatever happened to the Concorde agreement that was supposed to keep it free to air? Or is that fulfilled by the half races and highlights?

It's a real shame, F1 is the only sport I've ever properly followed.

Soldato
Talksport was discussing it this morning and supposedly Sky have given assurances to no Adverts and a "broadcasting budget to rival that of their PL coverage".

Sorry if its been posted, not checking through all these pages on a smart phone! :p

Associate
It's not 10 races on BBC and 20 on Sky. All of them will be live on Sky. 10 will be live on the BBC, 10 will be "highlights" (doesn't seem to be a confirmation on if these are full highlights or not though). I apologise if you already realise this but to me lots of people seem to be under the impression that the BBC isn't going to show any coverage at all of half the races.

I'd be more concerned that the quality will drop if they're not willing to put as much money towards it. I can imagine a lot of the pre and post race stuff will be cut.

At least this was we can still watch the F1 on BBC in whatever guise it turns out. I'll be gutted if it does turn out to be rubbish but I'm going to try and reserve judgement. Can't possible be any worse then the coverage that ITV used to show. ;)

Edit: Xen; I'd guess that the BBC having highlight rights covers them for the "Free to Air" portion.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You'd pay the BBC extra for half the grand prize on top of your license fee??

Quite interesting to see the amount of 'fans' here. 'yeah, am a fan as long as it costs me nothing'

Paying for it isn't an issue. But being force to buy a subscription on standard channels, then on top of that the sports channel at a cost of £61 a month. Yeah I ain't willing to pay that.

However many of us would be willing to pay on demand through sky player or iplayer at a more reasonable cost.say £5-10 a race.

Soldato
You'd pay the BBC extra for half the grand prize on top of your license fee??

Quite interesting to see the amount of 'fans' here. 'yeah, am a fan as long as it costs me nothing'

Brindle not happy? Maybe cos his salary just got halved and he gets half as many junkets

The issue is that Sky Sports costs a ridiculous amount. You're paying for crap like football which is of zero interest to most F1 fans.

If the BBC had some way to charge extra for F1 it would be much cheaper than subscribing to Sky Sports. MUCH much cheaper.

Soldato
Yep I would be more than happy to pay per race,just not £61.
£5 a race would be fine, I would probably even stretch to £10.

Isn't Sky Sports available on Top-Up TV on Freeview? Apparently if F1 is on Sports1, then you could be watching for £20/month.

Still not ideal and not HD, but slightly cheaper.

We have Sky in the house, but generally I don't get to watch it, especially at weekends when other things are on. Will probably just find some feed on JustinTV like I have for Nascar/Indy.

If they bring back FatHead...:eek:

Soldato
As for sky sports costing 60 quid. It's only 40 quid a month for sky with entertainment sport and broadband. So that's what 480 a year? How much are two tickets to silverstone plus camping etc? I doubt you'd get any change for 500 quid.

Even then, if you already have sky it's only a tenner a month!! So 120 quid!!

Soldato
As for sky sports costing 60 quid. It's only 40 quid a month for sky with entertainment sport and broadband. So that's what 480 a year? How much are two tickets to silverstone plus camping etc? I doubt you'd get any change for 500 quid.

Even then, if you already have sky it's only a tenner a month!! So 120 quid!!

£480/year is more than some of us can afford to pay, especially when all we want to do is watch one race every two weeks, half of which we can see on FTA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom