BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Caporegime
Yeh, that's a totally valid point Marky. I just thought Evans was being 'shouty' but you're right, clearly trying to imitate Clarkson's loud style.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I thought everybody would be happy that the show has stayed the same & they haven't changed much at all apart from teh 3 presenters.
Hammond & May should have stuck about & did the show with Matt Le Blanc & then we could have left Chris Evans out of it, JD.

Associate
The producer's role in Top Gear was to provide situations where Clarkson/Hammond/May could play off each other and make us laugh. The formula was simple, and it's existence and success had nothing to do with cars- the reqal currency- the chemistry- could equally have worked as a cookery show, cricket commentary or science documentary. Unfortunately the BBC seem to think all they need is some components; silly situations, oversaturated slowmo footage and well-known TV personalities. Some people will still like it, but lightning has definitely not stuck twice.

I can't wait for Prime's show, you can bet the team's digs back at the BBC will be slightly more subtle than shouting "We got custody (of the Stig)" at a confused rent-a-crowd audience while bent over double with a clenched fist.

Soldato
I thought everybody would be happy that the show has stayed the same & they haven't changed much at all apart from teh 3 presenters.
Hammond & May should have stuck about & did the show with Matt Le Blanc & then we could have left Chris Evans out of it, JD.

The show was custom fitted for Clarkson/Hammond/May. The same format with new people was never going to work.

They should have changed it completely. How many people kept saying the format was "tired" but the BBC kept the format anyway? Sure, people would have complained that a new format wasn't Top Gear, but changing the people has done that anyway.

Man of Honour
The show was custom fitted for Clarkson/Hammond/May. The same format with new people was never going to work.

They should have changed it completely. How many people kept saying the format was "tired" but the BBC kept the format anyway? Sure, people would have complained that a new format wasn't Top Gear, but changing the people has done that anyway.

I didn't mind too much about that aspect, I kind of liked having 2 stars going head to head on a track that wasn't just a plain circuit - but they needed to tweak the studio bit to make it more interesting and speed it along - while it was mildly interesting to know what cars they first started with spending a fair amount of time discussing it wasn't interesting and the whole oh well you once spent 30 seconds in a Porsche or whatever was just stupid.

Soldato
Evans' commentary around the race track was woeful.

Ramsay's key in a box thing was cringe worthy, and no one seemed to care.

LeBlanc was actually OK. Kinda like seeing him in the show and his delivery was good.

Soldato
Indeed. Though arguably it worked out quite well, they now have a new show which they have more control over, with a much bigger budget to play with. :)

..on a medium that even if every single subscriber watches it, they still wouldn't get half the viewing figures Top Gear did on Sunday. As Chris Evans correctly said 'they've got tens times the audience, with a fraction of the viewers'.

One accolade I can see the Grand Tour getting is the first TV show in history to have been watched illegally more times than legally.

Because of this I don't think the current budget Amazon are prepared to give them is sustainable in the long turn and would bet a lot of money now they won't get anywhere near it if it survives to a fourth 'season'. At £160m for 36 episodes/3 seasons and £79 for a Prime subscription, they would need The Grand Tour to pull in 2 million new customers over that time for the show to break even. To put that in context, Prime currently has 2 millions subs, so in short Amazon are banking on one show to double their customer base which ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
..on a medium that even if every single subscriber watches it, they still wouldn't get half the viewing figures Top Gear did on Sunday. As Chris Evans correctly said 'they've got tens times the audience, with a fraction of the viewers'.

I'm willing to bet that they are happier though. Its not like they need to earn stacks of cash anymore. :)

Because of this I don't think the current budget Amazon are prepared to give them is sustainable in the long turn and would bet a lot of money now they won't get anywhere near it if it survives to a fourth 'season'. At £160m for 36 episodes/3 seasons and £79 for a Prime subscription, they would need The Grand Tour to pull in 2 million new customers over that time for the show to break even. To put that in context, Prime currently has 2 millions subs, so in short Amazon are banking on one show to double their customer base which ain't gonna happen.

You say that, but I signed up to prime primarily for the show. I'm sure plenty of others have as well. Perhaps not 2 million, but who knows? :)

Soldato
It was awful, I hated it. About halfway through I was wondering if it was over yet.

I've deleted it from my series link and won't be watching again. I hate Evans anyway but thought I'd give it a try, he's even more annoying than I imagined.

Soldato
You say that, but I signed up to prime primarily for the show. I'm sure plenty of others have as well. Perhaps not 2 million, but who knows? :)

That may well be true, and I'm sure a they'll get a few thousand that do but they will make a loss on the first three seasons of the Grand Tour without selling the rights to a major broadcaster.

Amazon didn't bid £160m because they thought that was what the show was worth, they did it to blow ITV out of the water and was a bit of a vanity project for them (look, we've nabbed one of the most in-demand presenting teams from under the noses of the biggest commercial broadcaster in the country).

Back
Top Bottom