BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Associate
I thought the new TG to be okay, with my main "issues" being that Evans was trying to hard and that I felt Le Blanc was acting rather than presenting at certain points.

I'll keep watching it as they need time to bed it but IMO the prime version of TG will be much better...

Soldato
I skimmed through it this evening. It was all kinds of wrong.

I have to listen to Chris Evans most mornings on Radio 2 and I can't stand him there. On this, he was utterly unconvincing and while LeBlanc has a certain charm, he's just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I even tried the BBC 3 thing just to get some Chris Harris. Somehow, that managed to be even worse.

Caporegime
Another thing that was inexplicably stupid, was taking the mick out of Clarkson and the catering thing during the episode.

Dont take the mick out of the presenter everyone loved and the guy that pretty much came up with the format and jokes you are copying.

Sounds like Chris Evans is having a mental break down on twitter though which is more entertaining than the show was.

Soldato
To counter my previous negative points about top gear, I honestly don't expect much from the Amazon show.

Me either, the initial episode will get great reviews due to the media who've already made it clear what side they're on (I'm looking at you Daily Mail and The Sun) and loads of positive tweets from the "They only sacked Clarkson because he isn't PC" crowd.

The 453 people who signed up to Amazon Prime just to watch it will follow the series but I predict everyone else will download the first and maybe second episodes out of curiosity but then largely forget about it until Jeremy undoubtedly does something controversial to get more viewers.

Man of Honour
Amazon have picked up a number of discontinued shows i.e. Ripper Street and given them a really good first new season on Prime - but sadly most have then been followed up by uninspired formulaic seasons 2, 3, etc. on Prime. Hope it doesn't go that way.

Soldato
I want to get tickets to be in the audience so I can hold up a big sign that says "FACT".

One of the audience pre-requisites is being able to look bored to tears :o

I genuinely hope someone, either Evans or the production team, are taking onboard the criticism. The whole thing would be much more palatable if Evans just toned down the studio stuff, the pre-recorded "outside" videos weren't that bad on reflection.

Unfortunately he strikes me as being too pig-headed to care.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also have I noticed correctly that whenever he says something and expects a reaction from the crowd, the reaction seems to be a little "delayed" for a want of a better word?

Or perhaps it was edited in for example? I.e not an immediate response to Chris' question.

E.g. (Evans to the crowd) do you want to see etc etc etc!!!?!?!
(Cut different scene of audience with a slight delay) Yeeeeeerrrrs.

Soldato
Also have I noticed correctly that whenever he says something and expects a reaction from the crowd, the reaction seems to be a little "delayed" for a want of a better word?

Or perhaps it was edited in for example? I.e not an immediate response to Chris' question.

E.g. (Evans to the crowd) do you want to see etc etc etc!!!?!?!
(Cut different scene of audience with a slight delay) Yeeeeeerrrrs.

Imagine you'd been waiting for TG tickets for years only for your time to come around and it be this **** instead... You'd be a but subdued too! :p

Caporegime
One of the audience pre-requisites is being able to look bored to tears :o

I genuinely hope someone, either Evans or the production team, are taking onboard the criticism. The whole thing would be much more palatable if Evans just toned down the studio stuff, the pre-recorded "outside" videos weren't that bad on reflection.

Unfortunately he strikes me as being too pig-headed to care.

The films were bad. I don't understand how they managed to make towing a broken Reliant to Blackpool last 10 minutes!

Back
Top Bottom