Beerwulf - cheap online beer shop (well, for Belgian beers at least)

Soldato
tasting the barnabus 8 tonight and its very nice, better than the 6 in my opinion. i had the chouffe blonde which i thought was lovely, very light and easy to drink. i also had a triple, name escapes, which was also good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would be surprised if they don't up the other La Trappes soon though, the standard blonde one is more expensive than the dubbel/tripel/quad etc and that almost never happens, they seem to be upping prices as they restock stuff, so I expect they'll be over £2 each within the next 3 months.

Well, looks like I predicted right! They added £1 to each of the La Trappes except the blonde and the witte version.

La Trappe Quad is £2.69 up from £1.69
La Trappe Tripel is £2.49 up from £1.49
La Trappe Dubbel is £2.29 up from £1.29
I think the normal and witte ones are the same.

Affligem Blonde and Tripel are still good value for money.
Kasteel Blonde is up from £1.69 to £2.29 so not really decent anymore.
Troubadour Blonde is still decent at £1.75.
Hapkin still £1.85 which is alright.
Kwak is up to £2.49 from £2.19 in one of my previous posts.

Chimay White and Blue slightly up to £2.79 up from £2.39 and £2.59 respectively.
Westmalle still reasonable at £2.19 for the Dubbel and £2.59 for the tripel, which I don't think has changed in a while.

I still have a good stock to get through so not buying more at the moment.

Associate
Hmm. The increases go on. I have just noticed also that one of my favourite packs, the Belgian one of course, has undergone some changes since my last order which was only last week. Gone are Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10', Grimbergen Dubbel and St Bernadus Abt 12. These have been replaced with Liefmans Yell'oh (oh dear, only 3.8% and only 25cl), Ciney Blonde (also 25cl), Hapkin Blonde and St Bernadus Tripel. Obviously cheaper options. Still has some good stuff in it though I guess.

Soldato
Sadly I'm finding I don't really enjoy the stronger beers. Anything 9%+, especially the darker ones, are quite an effort e.g. Westmalle Tripel (9.5%). The Duvel Citra (also 9.5%) is manageable as it's a lighter crisper flavour. I think the Karmeliet Tripel is about the top of my enjoyable range at 8.4%. Therefore a shame that the 16 pack contains so many of the stronger ones. Though looking at the website now I see the contents have changed.

@Ron Grainger , can you ask Mark why you can't filter on country AND sort by price? If I sort by price then it shows all beers. If I think filter on country it then reverts to sort by popularity. etc.

Soldato
Sadly I'm finding I don't really enjoy the stronger beers. Anything 9%+, especially the darker ones, are quite an effort e.g. Westmalle Tripel (9.5%). The Duvel Citra (also 9.5%) is manageable as it's a lighter crisper flavour. I think the Karmeliet Tripel is about the top of my enjoyable range at 8.4%. Therefore a shame that the 16 pack contains so many of the stronger ones. Though looking at the website now I see the contents have changed.

@Ron Grainger , can you ask Mark why you can't filter on country AND sort by price? If I sort by price then it shows all beers. If I think filter on country it then reverts to sort by popularity. etc.

I agree with you but have a couple of exceptions. The kasteel triple for example is an 11% one but really doesn't taste like it is!

Karmeliet triple is a very nice one could probably drink that every time.

They have more or less ruined the belgian 16 pack though at least in terms of any residual value it may have had even with the price increases.

Edit - almost forgot to add. Did you guys know that quite a few of the Belgian breweries are owned by a few conglomerates. A lot are owned by AbInbev, some by Heinkenen, and a few by Duvel. The general consensus is that Duvel are the best of these at treating their breweries fairly and keeping the spirit of the original drink going.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree that Tripel Karmeliet is probably one of the nicest of the stronger beers but I also like Straffe Hendrik and Grimbergen along with Kasteel and Westmalle Tripel. Leffe Tripel has not been available on Beerwulf for some time but that was always a favourite too. Undoubtedly Affligem Tripel remains one of the best value beers of that type at the moment. According to Mark, "The changes to the Belgian Beer Pack are made to keep the price from increasing further, and to make it somewhat easier for us to keep it stocked. Some beers were a bit harder to acquire, and some changes in our logistical setup (which will be more visible soon, I hope) created the necessity to restructure the pack a little. It's a less attractive offer for the die-hard Belgian Beer fan, I'll admit that much." Nice of him to admit that!
That's Interesting information about the conglomerates HungryHippos. I see that Leffe is among the brands claimed by AbInbev. Probably explains why the Blonde and Bruin versions are almost universally available here. Shame they don't do the Tripel as well.

Soldato
Leffe tripel was what reignited my taste in Belgian beers while in France recently. It was something like £3/l in the local carrefour (just checked their online site, £3.14/l), think I got it closer to £2/l in one big supermarket on offer. Find it hard to order the same thing at £8.15/l as the current price is on Beerwulf.

Soldato
I will have to go against the grain and say that I am not that fussed by any of the Leffe's. I even tried a few at the same time in a bit of a comparison streak with a mate!

I had these at the same time:

Leffe Bruin
Leffe Blonde
Leffe Tripel
Leffe Zomerbier
Leffe Royale Whitbread Golding
Leffe Royale Mount Hood

A lot of them tasted very similar, especially the blonde, tripel, zomerbier, and the whitbread golding.

My favourite one? the Bruin! :)

Soldato
I will have to go against the grain and say that I am not that fussed by any of the Leffe's. I even tried a few at the same time in a bit of a comparison streak with a mate!

I had these at the same time:

Leffe Bruin
Leffe Blonde
Leffe Tripel
Leffe Zomerbier
Leffe Royale Whitbread Golding
Leffe Royale Mount Hood

A lot of them tasted very similar, especially the blonde, tripel, zomerbier, and the whitbread golding.

My favourite one? the Bruin! :)
Interesting. I wouldn't say Leffe is a premium brand, and is usually priced fairly to match, case in point those carrefour prices. My point was more that it's overpriced on beerwulf. I recall enjoying a Leffe Bruin many moons ago. On my recent trip I definitely did note that the Tripel had quite a bit more flavour and character than the Blonde though. We all have different palates. I've never tried any of the others.

Associate
I agree with you but have a couple of exceptions. The kasteel triple for example is an 11% one but really doesn't taste like it is!

Karmeliet triple is a very nice one could probably drink that every time.

They have more or less ruined the belgian 16 pack though at least in terms of any residual value it may have had even with the price increases.

Edit - almost forgot to add. Did you guys know that quite a few of the Belgian breweries are owned by a few conglomerates. A lot are owned by AbInbev, some by Heinkenen, and a few by Duvel. The general consensus is that Duvel are the best of these at treating their breweries fairly and keeping the spirit of the original drink going.

And Beerwulf is owned/backed by Heineken http://www.sparkoptimus.com/cases/digital-venture/heinekens-beerwulf/ They are probably running at a loss to make other (probably independent) places look expensive etc etc, you know how big businesses operate

Soldato
Yes I don't really have a problem getting cheap ale from beerwulf like you said they are backed by Heineken so not a small operation.

There aren't that many good independent Belgian breweries left but I'll definitely support them where I can. Delirium Tremens still seems to be independent, and you're probably safe with the trappist ones long term.

Associate
Just placed an order for a mixed bag of 16 Belgian beers with Beerwulf. It totalled £37.62 and of course free shipping. Out of curiosity I then compared the prices on the exact same beers at Beers of Europe. The order came to £56.00 and there would be a £4.99 delivery cost making £60.99. No contest really!

Soldato
Yep BoE are very expensive though!

I don't mind a good deal on some of the packs they send but I don't like the way they add the shipping cost (which you won't pay with the packs) to the cost to work out the discount %.

It's misleading people who can't see that is the case into thinking it's a bigger discount than it is.

Mind you I think the Explorer pack looks good: https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/c/beers/uk-pack/explorer-pack-12/ for £22.95. 6 of them are listed as Belgian ones, and of those 6 I haven't had 4 of them before. For the rest I don't mind a nice IPA style beer from time to time, only one I probably won't like is the Red ale which I never seem to get on with.

Soldato
Thought I’d give you guys a heads up Beer52 are currently offering a free case (pay postage) mine arrived today. Haven’t tried one yet but for £2.95 10 beers can’t be that bad. Not Belgian I now but gives you a chance to try something new.

Soldato
Thought I’d give you guys a heads up Beer52 are currently offering a free case (pay postage) mine arrived today. Haven’t tried one yet but for £2.95 10 beers can’t be that bad. Not Belgian I now but gives you a chance to try something new.
Good deal but you have to call them to cancel and they make you feel very guilty if you've just taken the free beer and left :p

Back
Top Bottom