Beginning of the end for Tesla & Musk ?

Caporegime
Except that IIRC it's a legal requirement to file it with the federal regulator first.

make the announcement, the US market regulator, the Securities and Exchange Commission, allows firms to use social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter in this way provided investors have been told which social media outlets will be used.

From the BBC argument its unusual and could get him in trouble if it turns out to be a lie but otherwise nothing illegal about it

Caporegime
I think it's mental that we live in a World where you can bet on stocks losing and make millions of dollars, but there you go.

Why?

You can do the same with literally anything you like... so long as it is available in some standardised form. All they're doing is borrowing, selling and agreeing to return an equal amount of something.

I could borrow a bag of coal from you for example with an agreement that I return a bag of coal to you in future and I pay you a little bit in interest too.... I then sell the bag of coal and later, if the price of coal falls, I buy a bag of coal to return to you.

You have back a bag of coal you weren't otherwise doing anything with during the time I borrowed it and I made some money from coal dropping in price.

Caporegime
You have back a bag of coal you weren't otherwise doing anything with during the time I borrowed it and I made some money from coal dropping in price.

See now I follow you analogy, however who has shares that are "not otherwise doing anything with"?

If I have shares or investments then they are there to make me money, so letting someone borrow some seems... odd?

It clearly happens though so I'm obviously missing something surrounding the whole reason someone would "loan" out shares...

Man of Honour
Soldato
No it is mental. The ‘Wall street’ quarterly reporting mentality promotes poor short term behaviour to maximise that quarter while disregarding the long term prospects of the company. It is normally bad for the long term competitiveness for a company and reduces innovation.

We say politicians make poor decisions al the time because they are only bothered about the next 4 years, it’s significantly amplified when you are looking at just the next 3 months.

Caporegime
See now I follow you analogy, however who has shares that are "not otherwise doing anything with"?

If I have shares or investments then they are there to make me money, so letting someone borrow some seems... odd?

It clearly happens though so I'm obviously missing something surrounding the whole reason someone would "loan" out shares...

Well plenty of fund mangers for a start. The fund manager who invests in XYZ for the long term isn't going to care about some of the ups and downs over the next few days say. So some trader can borrow the shares and then return them and the fund earns a bit more by lending them.

Soldato
Why?

You can do the same with literally anything you like... so long as it is available in some standardised form. All they're doing is borrowing, selling and agreeing to return an equal amount of something.

I could borrow a bag of coal from you for example with an agreement that I return a bag of coal to you in future and I pay you a little bit in interest too.... I then sell the bag of coal and later, if the price of coal falls, I buy a bag of coal to return to you.

Precisely.
You buy the coal.
So much of market gubbins doesn't involve a purchase at any stage, no physically holding.
No actual investment.
This I do not understand as a concept bar high end gambling, but corps businesses and currencies are the gamble.
Has direct effects on the underclass, but not so much as you move up the levels.

Caporegime
Precisely.
You buy the coal.
So much of market gubbins doesn't involve a purchase at any stage, no physically holding.
No actual investment.
This I do not understand as a concept bar high end gambling, but corps businesses and currencies are the gamble.
Has direct effects on the underclass, but not so much as you move up the levels.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make?

Soldato
So it turns out the Musk had turned to the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund - Public Investment Fund - to take the shares private. A number of other shareholders have apparently stated that they'd maintain their holdings, thus reducing the amount required to buy out. The PIF do have form in investing in high risk ventures such as these - they backed Uber with a few billion a couple of years ago.

Caporegime
It wasn't too surprising to hear that, there aren't that many people out there with the capital available to justify taking a company that size private.

Back
Top Bottom