BennyC's Intermittent Fasting & HST Journal

Associate
I started just after 3 squatting at home. Then had to call work and then headed to the gym. Was back home just before 4:30. So allow 15-20 minutes walk/locker room time. I also had to wait for a few bits of equipment and did bump into a friend. About an hour for the 10's I found. Nearer to 70/80 minutes for the 15's as I was so gassed, though that was fasted. 90 second rests for both 10's and 15's, exercises like laterals, curls and calves I just rested till recovered around 45-60 seconds.

I found that. All of my 10's were really quick sessions but that went away again when I got onto the 5's :(. Spent 3.5 hours in the gym last week :(. I was having a really poo session and couldn't find any energy. Most of my 5's have been longer the rest by a good 40-50%, though I can't quite work out why?

I'm seeing all of my strength again though, the higher rep days were a little odd because I was so used to low rep ranges in a powerlifting routine but now I'm back down to 5 reps I can see the changes, smashing pb's left right and centre :p.

Soldato
OP
Weight this morning was 88.6KG. Despite having wolfed down a box of finger biscuits which I found in the cupboard mid week :(

Finished the first week of 10's yesterday. My seated row RM calculation is way out so usually drop a few reps short on the last set but I still give it my all.

Having been training in the evening the increase in carbs I feel is no longer necesary and seems to me that I'm carrying a little more water so I'll keep an eye on this.

The 10's go quite quickly and each workout doesn't seem to get too much harder so is a sign that my strength/recovery is still increasing.

I've got a few progress shots of front & legs and will take some more towards the end of the 5's.

My fast doesn't get broken till 1PM at the moment due to jury duty. I'll then eat agin PWO which will be around 6:30/7PM where I'll see in (before 8:30PM)
my PWO shake 2 scoops whey & 1/2 scoops oats,
4 scrambled eggs,
dinner (lean meat/fish & 300grams of vegetables sometimes with new/baked potatoe)
and finish off with my 2 scoop pre bed shake.

Satisfaction right there :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Finished my 10's yesterday.

Weights were:

Squat: 120KG
Press: 50KG
SLDL: 100KG
Bench: 95KG
Pullup: +5KG
Lateral Raise: 12.5KG
Seated Row: 100KG
Dips: +20KG
Curl: 35KG
DB Shrug: 42.5KG
Calf Raise: 100KG
Ab Curl: 75KG

Fell one rep short on bench other than that it was all good. Feeling strong at the moment. Looking forward to the 5's. Really enjoying this at the moment and I like seeing the progression quickly. By this I mean I found 115KG squats for both sets with the rest period of 90 seconds tough and the last few reps were hard. But then 4 days later I can bosh out the same at 120KG which 4 days before I'd of said wouldn't of been happening!

Was out on Friday and got a friends birthday on Saturday though after this I don't have any more boozing planned.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
First workout of 5's today. Felt good to be shifting some decent weight again :cool:

Surprised myself with the amount of power I see to have developed recently. Rest periods were the same if not shorter than my 10's for most exercises.

Man of Honour
Sounds good Benny, keep up the good work mate

I'm following this very closely seeing as I'm going to be cutting soon, not the same as you, but I'm interested in how you get on with maintaining size and strength :)

Soldato
OP
My IF habits change during the week as I'm at work and can't prep food very well there as I'm meant to be working etc.

So on weekdays I eat at 12 noon:
1 scoop shake (oats & whey),
2 stuffed pitta's,
apple.

Then I eat the rest of my calories PWO (between 6PM and 8PM.)
2 scoop shake (oats & whey),
4 scrambled eggs,
Dinner (lean meat/fish & veg sometimes a carb source too or carb based meal)
pre bed 2 scoop shake.

Considering adding some nuts in again to bump up fat & calories for the 5's and would eat these at noon.

I've become very accustomed to large and short fast periods and enjoy it now. I eat when I'm hungry and I eat **** loads when I do! and not because I have to when it becomes a chore. I don't think I'll ever go back to the 5/6 small meals little and often again. This is very suited to me and all the 'worry' around meal timing is removed and is much less stressful as a result.

Haven't weighed in for a while so will jot it down this week.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does your fasting period change around the weekend? Mine does as on a Saturday night I tend to go out and when I get back in I cook myself an omelette or similar (an improvement from what I used to gorge on!) This could be at 4am so on Sunday I tend to have a shorter feeding window of 4pm-10pm before getting back onto my 2pm-10pm usual weekday routine on the monday.

Soldato
OP
Does your fasting period change around the weekend? Mine does as on a Saturday night I tend to go out and when I get back in I cook myself an omelette or similar (an improvement from what I used to gorge on!) This could be at 4am so on Sunday I tend to have a shorter feeding window of 4pm-10pm before getting back onto my 2pm-10pm usual weekday routine on the monday.

My fasting period doesn't really shift. Though I was out drinking on Friday but I just resumed my eating window at 12 noon till 8PM the following day. So had a slightly shorted fast effectively.

It might move back or forward depending on where I am and what I'm doing. When I was on jury service it was pushed back til 1PM as that's when we broke for lunch. I'd start the fast around 8:30/9PM to compensate as everything including training & meals was also pushed back.

Looking good Benny, have been following your progress! Once I get myself sorted I may give it a go as would make more sense to eat like this with fitting it around PT.

It's a very convenient set of guidelines to follow. I'm looking forward to my deconditioning period from HST where I can hopefully lean out quickly to show anyone who's been following what can be achieved in a short space of time (As I leaned out very quickly training 15's fasted with cardio on off days and this was with a surplus diet, so a deficit orientated diet should prove effective). And then I think I'll probably do HST again before dropping my bf% to around 10-12% and keeping it there permanently, hopefully :)

Soldato
OP
DanH84, I'd be interested to hear how you've found IF has affected your energy levels and also your sleep. I've found that both have improved and as I've mentioned I'm more or less wide awake the second my alarm goes off.

Soldato
Yeah I leap straight out of bed now, it's during my working day that I really notice it though. It just seems far easier to remain focused throughout the day and it's nice that when I do break my fast it's with a good satisfying portion but even that doesn't slow me down. I compare that to when I was eating at more traditional times and I have to say I was a person who was very vulnerable to a mid afternoon slump.

*and my sleep is much more restful at the moment, typically I've had problems with my sleep patterns but now I get a solid 7-8 hours each night.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I found I had something similar with Keto, really good sleep but I was very tired in the evening due to the very low carbs.

Half an hour after waking up I'm at my desk good to go, it's great, I get a little longer in bed too as I don't have to leave time for breakfast in the morning :p

Soldato
OP
I figured a journal is no use without any pictures!

Some leg shots one from September time I think and the other around mid January. Yes, I posted these in the BBPics thread but for those that don't wander in there before anyone flames me :p

My back shot is labeled. Posing isn't brilliant as I was focusing on trying to get decent contraction and thus my arms aren't level nor are my elbows bent the same.

Only difference between since then and now has been starting IF which began the week of Christmas and HST which started just after Christmas. Combined with the first 2 weeks of HST being trained 'fasted' with some additional cardio 30-40 minutes incline walk or x-trainer on Tues/Thursday (off days) and sometimes a Saturday. Only for two weeks though.

I've drunk 2 or 3 times 3 or 4 times over this period, New Years and 2 Fridays up town I think. Eaten a whole pack of chocolate finger biscuits one evening :p and do have the occasional treat so my diet hasn't been 'strict' per se either.

20110120-tuit684bbmqnq94fuhr2ew8nen.jpg

20110120-gsnk2ranbtss39anfy5qd1p5tb.jpg
20110120-q49qk8fhf7qf21wp7xkc5cpsjk.jpg

I've dropped a little water & fat since these especally over the stomach. Still a little to go from the love handles below.

20110125-8qmugw2uig4wa92y82dck4u69s.jpg

Forgot to lat spread but did take a relaxed back shot. And a little seperation on my traps.

20110125-bf55wah9kgaa2k596qjiidix27.jpg
20110125-b92sepkha3dkpq1sc27mrr8fw6.jpg

Hopefully it illustrates how powerful the combination of IF & HST has been for me. Bare in mind any gains in 4 weeks of HST are going to be fairly small.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great improvements in separation and that's before you've even shifted onto a calorie deficit. I've noticed with mine a very high rate of fat loss which I partially attribute to improvements in nutrient partitioning.

Soldato
OP
Looking good mate. Keep up the hard work.

Come over for a session when you finish the HST :)

Definitely will make it up to train at some point. Got another cycle after this planned and then I'll do a few weeks on a 3/4 day split to mix it up a bit so will come up and smash quads & shoulders with you :cool:

Soldato
OP
Finished the first week of 5's. Everything feels good, feel like I need the weekend to rest up though. I'm not feeling exhausted just a little tired but I had two nights iffy sleep so it might explain it.

A small twinge (not during exercise) on the top of my shoulder so I kept an eye on it today. Most likely an RC strain but I'll do some foam rolling and keep alert for any instabilities.

Ate roughly an extra 300 calories for the past two days so to mix things up a little and have them there should my body need them. No cardio been done for the duration of the 5's so far.

Feeling strong & powerful :cool:

Soldato
OP
Well I was a bit cheeky and popped a foot long subway (steak and cheese with extra cheese & lettuce) in at 4am on Sunday morning. I loved every inch of it :p Then the following day I also then had some kingsize platter at a local gastro pub which consisted of scampi, a massive chicken breast and an 8oz rump steak with onions, tomato and chips :D So I ate well to say the least!

Final week of 5's feeling strong still, whilst a set feels heavy and a little difficult I get the reps out without too much trouble. Dips + 35KG were laughably easy and pull ups + 18.75KG didn't present any problems either. Bench felt good too.

I did bring a few weights forward a week. For example Press:

Fri: 57.5KG, Mon: 57.5KG, Weds: 60KG, Fri: 62.5KG

Became:

Fri: 57.5KG, Mon: 60KG, Weds: 60KG, Fri: 62.5KG

HST is working well especially the 5's, I don't want to be an idiot and say I can see myself growing because that would be silly but a combination of leaning out with progressive load is leaving me very happy with my results so far. Despite several booze ups along the 6 week period.

Don't think I'll be doing any negatives due to 1) no TP, 2) stressful on CNS. So I'll most likely carry on with 5's for another week or maybe another 2. Then de-load for 1-2 weeks with some cardio most days and then start my second cycle :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom