Benq FP241W (Now available from OcUK!!!!!)

Associate
Snakey said:
OcUK are not going to say 'Hey guys we have a new batch of FP241W's but they have the old firmware, sorry, but buy them anyway!'....especially when other suppliers seem to have the 1:1 firmware batch in stock :rolleyes:

Their lack of a response to customers questions tells its own story!

Yep your right on that. I sent a email to OcUK customer service 2 days ago and got the reply. I'm copy pasting it here.

Dear Ahmed,

1) The current stock does not have the 1:1 pixel mapping fix.
2) The monitor is as shown on the picture.

Regards,

Adam Whitworth
Customer Service
Overclockers UK

so here you go. i dont but for the colour reason alone i might get this and send it to BenQ for the fix. even though others are offering it for less with 1:1 fixed but in silver.

Associate
Sousuke said:
Yep your right on that. I sent a email to OcUK customer service 2 days ago and got the reply. I'm copy pasting it here.

Dear Ahmed,

1) The current stock does not have the 1:1 pixel mapping fix.
2) The monitor is as shown on the picture.

Regards,

Adam Whitworth
Customer Service
Overclockers UK

so here you go. i dont but for the colour reason alone i might get this and send it to BenQ for the fix. even though others are offering it for less with 1:1 fixed but in silver.

They are now saying 1:1 on the item desription.

Soldato
bluemistywaters said:
They are now saying 1:1 on the item desription.

They are as well - Awesome - That means they all must have it otherwise if they don't when I get mine I can sent it back quoting the trade descriptions act - Wooooooooppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Man of Honour
TheDean said:
To be fair competitor talk is inevitable when OCUK will not answer WebNotes or threads started in the suggestions forum!

well competitor talk is not allowed as per the FAQ and rules. Please don't continue to discuss competitors whether you think it is inevitable or not. The workers at the shop rarely have chance to browse the boards which is why you wont get frequent replies to questions.

Soldato
Baddass said:
well competitor talk is not allowed as per the FAQ and rules. Please don't continue to discuss competitors whether you think it is inevitable or not. The workers at the shop rarely have chance to browse the boards which is why you wont get frequent replies to questions.

You're right Gibbo - Sorry. But it's not the best if staff aren't answering Webnotes!

Associate
I now have mine, bought not 2 days ago.

It does have 1:1 available in the menu, and it seems to work fine.

The back of the monitor is black, the surround a deepish silver (it says "black/silver" on the side, that's probably the only kind they do).

Frankly, I am gobsmacked. I've just gone from an "emergency" 15" 1024×768 CRT to a 1920×1200 24" monster! It's incredibly bright (in fact, as it came, it was turned FAR too eye-wateringly bright with the brightness at 90; shield thine eyes! - not uncommon with TFTs I hear, but it's much more normal now I've calibrated it).

Zero dead pixels. Insanely big. I make it 15ms black-white, but grey-grey response seems much better; I can't see any trailing, for me it's fine even for FPSes.

Me = happy. :)

Associate
Stem said:
I now have mine, bought not 2 days ago.

It does have 1:1 available in the menu, and it seems to work fine.

The back of the monitor is black, the surround a deepish silver (it says "black/silver" on the side, that's probably the only kind they do).

Frankly, I am gobsmacked. I've just gone from an "emergency" 15" 1024×768 CRT to a 1920×1200 24" monster! It's incredibly bright (in fact, as it came, it was turned FAR too eye-wateringly bright with the brightness at 90; shield thine eyes! - not uncommon with TFTs I hear, but it's much more normal now I've calibrated it).

Zero dead pixels. Insanely big. I make it 15ms black-white, but grey-grey response seems much better; I can't see any trailing, for me it's fine even for FPSes.

Me = happy. :)

Thanks for the review man ;)

Makes me wonder whether its even worth waiting for the 'Z' model with BFI if its as good you say it is on FPS. Have you watched any fast paced action films or maybe some sport?

ATI

ATI

Associate
@Baddass

how are you mate?

i got the benq, must say its huge and very good all round, very nice IQ, couple of concerns thought, what the best settings for text sharpness and all round settings.

any suggestions would be great, from anyone else as well.

It does have the 1:1 and works a treat.

my settings:

mode = standard

bright: 40
contrast: 50
sharp: 3

color temp= usr mode
r=50
g=50
b=50

Thanks

Associate
Finally ordered one of these this afternoon, should be here on Monday. Will be using it on my pc and 360 so I'll post some pics up next week. :D :cool: :D

Associate
RichL said:
Finally ordered one of these this afternoon, should be here on Monday. Will be using it on my pc and 360 so I'll post some pics up next week. :D :cool: :D
Will you be able to compare the 360 over VGA and Component?

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Our stock now supports 1:1 pixel mapping and the Z version arrives in a few weeks. :)

Thanks for the update on the 'Z' version :)

IYO how reliable is that release date? Im thinking if they are gonna take the pi$$ even more and delay it again, im just gonna get the non 'Z' version now :cool:

Soldato
So given the now fixed 1:1 and taking money out of the equation (without going silly of course) are we now saying this is the best of the 24" screens for general PC work, game playing and Xbox 360 / DVDs etc?

Badass? I Know you have said you wouldn't pay the extra over the 2407 at the moment but if you were given one of the 24"ers for gaming/360/HD/DVD etc which would you opt for?

Associate
Day 2. Yep, still love it.

No banding whatsoever. The 1:1 is confirmed working with both DVI-D and Composite (although curiously, the BIOS screen always seems to be scaled to Full — I'm figuring my graphics card is the guilty party for that, and it's alright).

Ghosting: Sighted only in one place, when I deliberately tried to make it happen; when scrolling something which was black on white, one pixel per frame. Even then it wasn't too bad. In all gaming use, including Quake 3, Doom 3, a bit of Counter-Strike:Source just now, and also in a movie or two, I am unable to see any ghosting whatsoever.

I think my persistence of vision is actually greater than the average response time of the screen; which is probably why, to get it any faster, they have to do that black-frame stuff, which I personally wouldn't go for — I'm a little worried the "black-frame insertion" of the Z model might make it flicker. Maybe that's the tradeoff you need to get it faster, but I'm sticking with this. I mean, I don't really see a point in going faster than what looks, to me, perfect.

As for movies: I don't really have a movie in good enough quality to really do it justice, I feel; it pines for 1080p (but I think I'll hold off on the HD movies for a bit until things settle down). But the trailers I've seen are really, really nice; I can't see any problems at all there. My DVD of the Matrix, if I'm close, I can see the blocks (mind you, if I'm close, it fills most of my vision). You can see the flaws in the DVD a little more easily. I just played an episode of Spaced, too (a sitcom with some pretty fast cuts in the editing, if you never saw it); flawless.

Colour: It comes set far too bright, and the colour seems a little off (reddish). Turn the brightness down a bit, change the colour settings to user and 50/50/50 and see how you like that; that's what I did, and it doesn't seem to need much work in my environment to calibrate it either. Once calibrated, I went through a few photos. My old (sadly deceased) cat is now my desktop background, and it really does reproduce the photo perfectly.

I have it on very similar settings to you, ATI, only with a lower brightness as otherwise it's clearly the brightest thing in the room by a very large margin!

Brightness: 15
Contrast: 53
Sharpness: 3
Colour: User Mode, Red=50, Green=50, Blue=50

Other inputs: I've tried the Composite, from my PlayStation 2 (planning ahead for Final Fantasy XII, you see, I'm partial to a bit of console action too)... it's pants, but then, composite is always pants. It does the best job I've seen, considering. I'd try component, but apparently my PS2 doesn't want to read CDs anymore, just DVDs, (it's making horrible noises), so I can't boot Blaze's HDTV Player disc, so the component won't work, and I don't have cables for any of my other consoles — they all go into RGB-SCART for my RGB monitor — and SCART, of course, is the one connection this monitor doesn't have.

So, I haven't tried the other input modes yet. I may have to invest in some kind of fancy RGB-SCART-or-component to component switchbox with several inputs and a good isolation (if such a thing exists). I am wary of HDMI right now, given I just saw a mere 1.2 metre HDMI cable sold for 60 of our Earth pounds in a popular high street store.

Oh, there's a Picture-in-Picture quirk: When you're in D-sub, DVI-D, HDMI or Component, your Picture-in-Picture can only be Composite, S-Video or off. Conversely, when you're in Composite or S-Video, you only get to choose between S-sub, DVI-D, HDMI or Component for your Picture-in-Picture.

I guess it has two different decoders, and if you want Picture-in-Picture, you have to use a mode that uses the other decoder. Fair enough; not a big deal (who uses PiP anyway?).

Right, now I'm off to watch... hm... decisions... <grin>

Associate
This monitor is looking very impressive indeed and seems to be much prefered to the Dell models. Would my PC be upto playing full screen HD video (HD divx/xvid) at 1920x1200?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4Ghz) with a Radeon X1900XT.

Cheers,

Mike

Soldato
stormy said:
This monitor is looking very impressive indeed and seems to be much prefered to the Dell models. Would my PC be upto playing full screen HD video (HD divx/xvid) at 1920x1200?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4Ghz) with a Radeon X1900XT.

Cheers,

Mike

Well 1080i doesn't run at 1920x1200 anyway - But your ring will have no issues running HD vids at all :D

Back
Top Bottom