BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
I had a bit more of a play with mine last night, went through all the Lagom setups images and tried out some games.
Gaming wise I'm very impressed, the extra sheer size (I'm coming from 22" 1080p) is great and the higher refresh rate was very noticable. To my eyes the picture looks very nice but I did have some problems on the Lagom contrast and gamma tests getting it to show all the shades correctly but hopefully once PCM and Badass finish their reviews they'll have some more in depth settings tweaks to try.

Physically it's very nice as well, easy to put together and by far the best stand I've ever used, even the little remote control thing is handy for changing settings in the OSD rather than using the normal little buttons.

Soldato
Updated that post, it's still doing the flickering regardless the gpu, it just manifests the amount of flickering at random.

Ordered OcUK DP cable, see if that clears it up, if not, I'll try and source an AMD DP approved cable, don't want to start throwing extra cost into the mix though if the monitor has a fault due to looking like it's been dropped/bashed somewhere in transit.

Couldn't resist.:D

Outwith the flickering, surprised how good the XL2730Z package actually is considering the stick it took, wouldn't want to send it back so hopefully I can get rid of the flickering.

Tommy, If the next cable doesn't resolve it, return the monitor and ask for replacement. I believe it got damage by that drop :(

I had no flickering or anything else, and I have used it around 20h already.

I'm joining the club. :)

ijYhzRP.jpg

Huh, that was unexpected :) Is a great screen, I really love it after sorting the settings out.

Soldato
Pcm2 any eta on your review fella?

Also panos I love company of heroes do you think I'll like world of tanks?

Sorry, I only just saw your post. There is no ETA at present. All I can say is that it should be with me on Tuesday, but I'm also reviewing 2 other monitors at the moment. Plus the weather is quite nice, so I can't promise anything. ;) I think realistically the review will be published in early May.

Associate
Anyone having a problem with the screen settings not saving?

I use the settings suggested on this thread which are to my liking but have had to input them each time the computer is restarted even thou I have saved them each time...

Caporegime
Thoughts, FreeSync = Amazing. I can see why everyone loves it.

I miss my pixels though, the step down to 1440P from 4K is a steep one. Roll on 4K FreeSync panels, will be upgrading instantly as soon as they're available.

Didn't notice much difference in terms of responsiveness from this 144HZ panel to my old - 60HZ (Vsync off) on my 4K TN panel. Could not tell much difference under Mantle in Battlefield 4 which i found surprising.

Thanks to Tony for the settings, definitely improved things over the stock settings. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks to Tony for the settings, definitely improved things over the stock settings. :)

no worries dude, glad you like them. Obviously they'll be slightly different from one panel to the next, but for me these settings are definitely the best I could find for mine.

Ive not dabbled with Freesync yet Matt due to my cards obviously, but once the 390x arrives I shall be getting one or two. If the screen impresses me this much without Freesync, I'm in for a real treat once I see it in action.

Soldato
Tommy, If the next cable doesn't resolve it, return the monitor and ask for replacement. I believe it got damage by that drop :(

I had no flickering or anything else, and I have used it around 20h already.

In communication with Bailey here, if the new cable doesn't cure it, it'll be going back.

Don't fancy the 'it's fine'(on their system but not on mine) route, so may have to return it, idk yet.:(

Wow i burned my retinas when i first turned it on Lol.

Using tt's settings, I dropped the brightness down some more, this panel is crazy bright.:D

Associate
OP
Just moved to x99, time to get using this monitor as I should be!

What is the best online games to play now days, I have been out of touch for last few months.

Soldato
How should we know what games you like? :)
On MMO
I play TESO with this monitor everything maxed out (and beyond) and except some pretty crap scenes on cyrodiil with internet lag which drops fps to 2, even hundreds of paricipants siege battles are smooth as ever with this monitor.

For normal games, world of tanks looks great with this monitor, while war thunder never had issues and always ditches 100fps+ on single card setup on max out.

Associate
War Thunder is an amazing game to display on this BenQ monitor!!! My settings for 290x CFX or a 295x2 set-up are:

V-Sync : On
Anistropic Filtering: 16x
Antialiasing: 4x
Texture Quality: High
Shadows Quality: Very High
Clouds Quality: Movie

Render Resolution: Max
Terrain Quality: Max
Trees Range: Slider at 90%
Particle Density: Max
Grass: Slider at 90%
SSAO: Slider at 50%
Shadows Blur: Slider at 75%
Water Reflections: Max

Terrain Deformation: Very High
Tire Tracks: Very High

All right hand side options ticked except "Display Grass In Optics"

I enable AFR-Friendly profile for war thunder theres a guide online to make crossfire work using the AFR-Friendly.exe the game provides in the installation directory.

I wish I could completely max-out war thunder, I use the V-Sync option enabled @ 144hz, 1440p & 4x Antialiasing, many would argue 4x AA is completely unnecessary but I love the sharpness & clarity it gives the game...

I have WT just maintaining a very-near-solid 144fps during Air-Battles but I can imagine it is very taxing

It does manage a smooth 144fps while flying a plane but when switching to tanks it is crazy intensive... it dips as low as 55-60 FPS hovers around 70 - 90 FPS and can peak at 120-144 FPS but only breifly for like .... viewing the sky!

Many would also argue that 55 - 60 FPS is fine, definitly 70-90 but its the fluctuations going from the extreme 144fps fluidity to what appears to be 55fps "chugging" I guess its obviously fine at a low range almost fixed framerate but for most of the people using a high refresh rate the dips are much more obvious and makes the game to appear to be running at a much lower FPS than it is... maybe its just me? but anything below 100 is far more "jerky"

I hate having the fixed framerate in games, EA and Need For Speed rivals capped us at 30!!! (60 managable with a .exe command)

Call Of Duty framerate of 90/91 ? in many of the multiplayer titles, Black Ops 2 had unlocked (If I remember correctly) but GHOSTS and ADVANCED AUTISM, sorry COD EXTREME AUTISM, oh **** .... cod ADVANCED WARFARE is also 90/91 FPS locked.

ramble ramble..... ramble. ... . .

Back
Top Bottom