BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Soldato
but on the other hand, if you find it fine, i wouldnt encourage you to go looking for any issue, just enjoy the screen :)

I second that. I still think it's a greatly fluid and rewarding screen at the moment when running FreeSync. And some users simply won't have an issue with the level of motion blur. In fact some users hate the overshoot you get with 'AMA High' anyway. :p

Soldato
Thought I'd put an update up about my flickering problem but it's not good for various reasons.

Tested on 2 different 290X's a 670 and Intel DP, 290X/670 all pop and flicker, Intel DP won't display.

Put an order in for a Accell B142C-007B and to my surprise(as it's a nightmare trying to source proper AMD certified 1.2 DP cables in the UK) I had mail saying it was coming this morning, but it still exhibits the pop and flicker, just to to add to my pain, over the weekend now the display goes black and corrects itself a second or two later(regardless which cable).

Last edited:
Associate
Are you finding the blur/trailing/ghosting bothersome with your XL2730Z and FreeSync out of interest? I'm really quite curious to see whether this is a real issue for general users. :)

A very good question, in all honesty I've not noticed the effect in any games yet but on the UFO demo and sometimes on the desktop dragging windows around I can see it.

I've just been doing some playing around actually to see what is happening on my system as I have a 295x2 and so while technically FreeSync capable I can't actually use it yet until the xfire drivers are released.
What I have found is that AMA is indeed disabled when connected via DP to a 295x2, I change the settings on the UFO and see no difference. What I also found though is if you enable the Blur Reduction mode that disables Freesync and then the AMA settings do work so I can see the effect on the UFO.

On a related note has anyone else noticed that enabling/disabling the Blur Reduction mode doesn't seem to work when switching picture modes? i.e. I have it disabled on the Gamer 1 profile mapped to button 1 on the remote control and enabled on Gamer 3 profile mapped to button 3 but if I use the buttons to switch modes all the other settings change (brightness, contrast etc) and in the menu it says the Blur Reduction mode has changed but it actually hasn't. I have to go into the Blur Reduction menu setting and reselect the mode I want and then it applies it?

Associate
Fnatics JW - one of the best CS:GO players and winner of the ESL One Katowice 2015 major uses this screen at home according to his profile: twitch.tv/jesperwow

When I asked him in chat if he uses adaptive sync/freesync he replied that he isn't aware of that feature, so I guess he's using an Nvidia card like most competitive players.

Such a nice function wasted.

Associate
Reagrding the flicker issue: I own a Gigabyte HD 7950 (Crossfire) that has 2 DisplayPort connectors. The flicker appears on my rig only when the screen is connected to the main port, the second one somehow can handle the 120 and 144 Hz....

Then I made another strange observation I wonder if your screens show the same behaviour.
Look at the monitor test images as it should be (displayed by another monitor (my old Samsung SyncMaster SA850)):

http://imgur.com/EAHTX65,pBs7ExD

...and this is what my BenQ makes out of it:

http://imgur.com/EAHTX65,pBs7ExD#1

...a lot of green stripes!

Probably you know the test: Its the "gamma white" test of PassMark's Monitor Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm).

Note that actually the area where the green bars of different green intensity appear should all have the same (grey colour)! Tweaking around in the menu didnt help.

I wonder if your screens do the same...?

Associate
Great indepth review. But could you propose to us some settings you had great results please? :)

I am using the settings from the ICC Database and the ICC profile with Color vibrance at 12. However until FreeSync is fixed I might run with blur reduction mode on as I don't have a decent enough DVI cable. Seeing as that takes the brightness down I will try setting it at 34 instead of 17 as recommended in the database.

Soldato
The settings he used are noted in the review, and they would be his suggestion. I'd advise caution with using ICC profiles or indeed somebody else's settings on this model, though, even if from an excellent review such as this. My sample has a quite clearly different colour setup and 'Gamma 3' looks rather faded. :)

Man of Honour
I am using the settings from the ICC Database and the ICC profile with Color vibrance at 12. However until FreeSync is fixed I might run with blur reduction mode on as I don't have a decent enough DVI cable. Seeing as that takes the brightness down I will try setting it at 34 instead of 17 as recommended in the database.

There's a DVI cable in the box isn't there? :)

Soldato
Associate
hi all ,
I have this display too ,and have been following this thread everyday day ,
Now i do have Nvidia cards and i'm waiting upon the release of the the R390X cards to swap over to AMD so im able to use the freesync feature .

However i do keep experiencing the screen turning black / or off then back on again for a second , and once it did not recover and i had to use a hdmi connection to get it running again then swap back to DP.

I'm running with displayPort @ 144 hz , I've uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled them again using DDU , and also put a clean install of win 8.1.64bit ,
but it still happened a twice or three times last night .

now for some strange reason the screen has only done it once today and that was just after first power on today and so far today no other incidents from what i've seen.

I do hope that there isn't a problem with the display. i will just see how things go .

Associate
quick update , just finished a 1 hour on crisis 3 and after using the s-switch to change my profile back to the one i use for the desktop , bang black screen for about 7 seconds and then came back on again . so i don't know what's going on , is it the monitor or drivers (i'm using the latest from Nvidia) i have no such behavior on any other monitor . however this is the only one thats 144 hz .

Back
Top Bottom