Best Retro Handheld

The 406V is not released yet.

A great youtube channel to check out is Retro Game Corps. He reviews a lot of the units on there and shows you how to set them all up.
The new anbernic releases do seem to keep him busy! I am hoping to see one on a RG406H soon as that would be one worth picking up for me I think (assuming it is just the RG406V in a horizontal form factor with the better analog sticks)

The new anbernic releases do seem to keep him busy! I am hoping to see one on a RG406H soon as that would be one worth picking up for me I think (assuming it is just the RG406V in a horizontal form factor with the better analog sticks)
Yeah they're certainly knocking out the releases at a fast rate. The 406V doesn't look that comfortable to me, so I'd agree with you on a H.

Need to take a leaf out of Retroid though and go with more transparent colours.

I've got the Anbernic RG cube coming, but how is it compared to the RG406V? Because I might pickup both.
I use this site a lot to filter and compare devices. Also useful for seeing which devices use the same CPU, hence, same performance. RG-Cube and RG-406V use the same CPU. Expect Anbernic to release a few more as well :D

My retroid 4 Pro shipped. Now the anxious wait for slow delivery and the risk of customs charges :cry:

rp2000

I use this site a lot to filter and compare devices. Also useful for seeing which devices use the same CPU, hence, same performance. RG-Cube and RG-406V use the same CPU. Expect Anbernic to release a few more as well :D

My retroid 4 Pro shipped. Now the anxious wait for slow delivery and the risk of customs charges :cry:

rp2000
Very handy thanks :)

I do find horizontal handhelds much more comfy for extended gaming sessions, especially the shoulder triggers, much prefer stacked type.
Verticals not so bad for a quick blast up to SNES/Megadrive.

Last edited:
I do find horizontal handhelds much more comfy for extended gaming sessions, especially the shoulder triggers, much prefer stacked type.
Verticals not so bad for a quick blast up to SNES/Megadrive.
My thoughts too. The rg35xxSP has been perfect for a fire up and play type use case. Especially with the auto-save on lid close, auto-run and load save behaviour

I've been playing some Mario Kart Wii on the Cube tonight and it runs really well. 60fps probably 95% of the time during races. Completed a couple of the cups on 50cc and 150cc.

I've been playing some Mario Kart Wii on the Cube tonight and it runs really well. 60fps probably 95% of the time during races. Completed a couple of the cups on 50cc and 150cc.
Have you tried any WiiU yet? And was the Wii at 1x res or upscaled? I'm thinking Mario Galaxy would look amazing on the OLED 556 upscaled, although I'm not sure about the practicalities of the Wii controls (screen pointer, remote shake etc....).

Have you tried any WiiU yet? And was the Wii at 1x res or upscaled? I'm thinking Mario Galaxy would look amazing on the OLED 556 upscaled, although I'm not sure about the practicalities of the Wii controls (screen pointer, remote shake etc....).
1x but that looks good on the Cube IMO.

XmpzZLgh.jpg

I played some Mario Galaxy 2 the other night, that's too runs quite well. A few slowdowns but completely playable, not as good as Mario Kart Wii. On 1.5x is starts dipping to around 45fps when racing but feels slower.

I've not tried WiiU but imagine it wont be playable, could be wrong though i'll look into it :)

edit - nope, theres no Android emulator for Wii U. Cemu and others are Windows, Linux and MacOS only.

Last edited:
Impulse purchased the Retroid 4 Pro last night. The 5 is only slightly more expensive, but not enough info is available for me to buy it now.

Haven't really used the rg35xx h too much after the initial 3 months. Will probably flog it once the Retroid arrives. The Retroid will give me a chance to try out android for emulation, and will let me try out PS2 stuff, which is that main difference from the anbernic.

185 euros including delivery from the office site. Might be a customs charge on delivery of around 40 more, if I'm unlucky!

rp2000
This arrived today. No taxes or customs fees!

I Picked 4px shipping and it arrived in 10 days, for anyone considering ordering any items direct from Retroid.

rp2000

I've not tried it but I believe you can get an Android version now

Interesting, thanks. I didnt know one existed.

Though I have realised that there's not a massive selection of Wii U / exclusives. Think like Mario Kart Wii is great and Yoshi's woolly world can be played on 3DS.
I've played a friends Wii U in the past and im sure he used it to play Wii and Gamecube games in HD mainly instead... which emulation wise is better of using the fantastic Dolphin emulator, then upscaling (if the device can)

Interesting, thanks. I didnt know one existed.

Though I have realised that there's not a massive selection of Wii U / exclusives. Think like Mario Kart Wii is great and Yoshi's woolly world can be played on 3DS.
I've played a friends Wii U in the past and im sure he used it to play Wii and Gamecube games in HD mainly instead... which emulation wise is better of using the fantastic Dolphin emulator, then upscaling (if the device can)
I agree, I think the main people want WiiU is for BoTW which can be a bit shaky on Yuzu/Ryujinx

Back
Top Bottom