Best Retro Handheld

RP mini and RP5 went on sale yesterday. Anyone purchased? I was tempted by the RP Mini but held off to see how the reviews are.
Same, it's pretty pricey and Retroid have had issues with new devices. For example the 4 having a green tint to the screen and dodgy triggers that needed the back replacing.

Will let the early adopters beta test before possibly purchasing.

Impulse purchased the Retroid 4 Pro last night. The 5 is only slightly more expensive, but not enough info is available for me to buy it now.

Haven't really used the rg35xx h too much after the initial 3 months. Will probably flog it once the Retroid arrives. The Retroid will give me a chance to try out android for emulation, and will let me try out PS2 stuff, which is that main difference from the anbernic.

185 euros including delivery from the office site. Might be a customs charge on delivery of around 40 more, if I'm unlucky!

rp2000

RG Cube battery life test -
I tried Crash Bandicoot 1 (PS1) leaving it on the demo scene.
SwanStation RA core, no shaders, filters or enhancements, 50% screen brightness, low volume.
After 9 hours battery went from 100% - 50%
I think 18 hours of PS1 with 50% screen brightness is quite impressive!

RG Cube battery life test -
I tried Crash Bandicoot 1 (PS1) leaving it on the demo scene.
SwanStation RA core, no shaders, filters or enhancements, 50% screen brightness, low volume.
After 9 hours battery went from 100% - 50%
I think 18 hours of PS1 with 50% screen brightness is quite impressive!
Certainly a great set of results that, is that just at standard res or any upscale?

Certainly a great set of results that, is that just at standard res or any upscale?
Just standard 1x (I ran the same test on my RG35XX before and after upgrading the battery) so thought it would do the same. Although brightness was lower on the RG35XX test.
no shaders filters or enhancements - sorry, the comma changed that sentence.

I might do a PS2 test running something like NFSHP2 demo loop.

RG Cube PS2 battery life test -
Wipeout Fusion left on the demo scene.
Aethersx2, no shaders filters or enhancements, 50% screen brightness, low volume.
6 hours (12:00 > 18:02)
6 of PS2 with 50% screen brightness.

I expect it's game dependent, but either way 6 hours seems good too me.

RG Cube PS2 battery life test -
Wipeout Fusion left on the demo scene.
Aethersx2, no shaders filters or enhancements, 50% screen brightness, low volume.
6 hours (12:00 > 18:02)
6 of PS2 with 50% screen brightness.

I expect it's game dependent, but either way 6 hours seems good too me.
Yeah that is very interesting.

Might need to investigate the cube

Just stumbled into this thread and it's got me excited. Was looking into getting a steam deck but I love playing old retro games and some of these seem perfect, can someone give me a brief heads up on best ones to buy at moment. The stuff from Anbernic looks really interesting but the choice!

Tempted with the RG cube and 9000 games pack.

Last edited:
Just stumbled into this thread and it's got me excited. Was looking into getting a steam deck but I love playing old retro games and some of these seem perfect, can someone give me a brief heads up on best ones to buy at moment. The stuff from Anbernic looks really interesting but the choice!
Are you looking for portability or a play anything larger device? Steam deck will play retro games too but in my opinion the 16:10 screen isnt as ideal as say 4:3 or 1:1 for older games.

Retroid have upcoming devices - The Retroid pocket mini is getting a lot of hype. But it’s not out just yet (im waiting for reviews to become available)

If you want just retro upto around PS1, there are many options which are quite cheap.

Budget?

I would say I'd pay up to £200 for one of these as I have just bought the alienware 4K monitor so I think a steam deck will have to wait. I've got a little cube X console with tons of games and emus on and I love it but if like something I could play say in bed and around house. Tempted with RG cube in black 256G only option is ship from China but I don't mind waiting. Direct from Anbernic.

Last edited:
I would say I'd pay up to £200 for one of these as I have just bought the alienware 4K monitor so I think a steam deck will have to wait. I've got a little cube X console with tons of games and emus on and I love it but if like something I could play say in bed and around house. Tempted with RG cube in black 256G only option is ship from China but I don't mind waiting. Direct from Anbernic.
Personally, when I buy something from China, I buy the version without an SD card, as they are usually low quality and the ROMs are questionable, and use the time to build my own SD card ready for when the device arrives.

I have the RG556 - essentially the cube with a different form factor / screen. It will take care of the majority of games up to PS2 / GC, and I really like the android ecosystem as it offers other options pretty easily (steam link, gamepass, android games etc).

Depending on your desired level of undertsanding / input, I'd highly recommend curating your on library and re-installing better emus. There are guides out there - it's not loads of work, but gives a much better experience and was worth the work IMO.

Thanks for the help! If I buy the cube though the Only question for me is do I order direct from Anbernic China or Whatgeek? The latter is more expensive at 170 quid but safer? One review says don't order from Anbernic as they give you zero support if broke.

Thanks for the help! If I buy the cube though the Only question for me is do I order direct from Anbernic China or Whatgeek? The latter is more expensive at 170 quid but safer? One review says don't order from Anbernic as they give you zero support if broke.
I'd expect little support on any of these handhelds if they break to be honest. The companies making them are not exactly reputable.

100% do NOT get the one with an included SD card. ROMs and card quality will be (are) terrible.
I got my RG Cube (white) from Aliexpress, fully tracked delivery it arrived in 10 days and was £127 inc fees and delivery.

I would either get this or order a Retroid Pocket mini direct from Retroid - https://www.goretroid.com/en-gb/collections/frontpage/products/retroid-pocket-mini-handheld

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom