Best Retro Handheld

Si.

Si.

Soldato
God of war 1 and 2, Tekken 5, Tony Hawks 4, all play perfect at 1080p

What have you had trouble with and I can try them. I'll give Juiced a go.

Update: Tried Juiced, seems to run great at 60fps for about a minute, then drops down to 30 and struggles, then bounces back up to 60.. That seems more like an emulator issue to me, CPU was never above 30-40%

Last edited:
Soldato
God of war 1 and 2, Tekken 5, Tony Hawks 4, all play perfect at 1080p

What have you had trouble with and I can try them. I'll give Juiced a go.

Update: Tried Juiced, seems to run great at 60fps for about a minute, then drops down to 30 and struggles, then bounces back up to 60.. That seems more like an emulator issue to me, CPU was never above 30-40%
Yeh probably emulator issue.

Anyone know what system these cores are for? Dug out of the RG35XX Plus image supplied on the Anbernic website

/mnt/vendor/deep/retro/cores/nebularm_legacy_libretro.so
/mnt/vendor/deep/retro/cores/nebularm_libretro.so

I want to say Nebular (Sega Model 2) but can't find anything on nebularm_libretro.so or nebularm. Please be a custom Model 2 Retroarch core :)

Soldato
Some PSP action on the RG35XX+ (running MuOS CFW)

Even though im 100% happy with my SteamDeck I don't know why I keep nearly buying more retro handhelds. I don't think I'd get a 35xx+ but I've been tempted by the 35xxH which is the same handheld but in a horizontal shell.

PSP performance looks great.

Caporegime
Even though im 100% happy with my SteamDeck I don't know why I keep nearly buying more retro handhelds. I don't think I'd get a 35xx+ but I've been tempted by the 35xxH which is the same handheld but in a horizontal shell.

Me too, but not the RG35XX+ or H because these lacks community support. I actually gave the RG35XX to my sister since I bought the Miyoo Mini +, if I get another one it will likely be the Powkiddy RGB30.

Last edited:
Soldato

Have to say I was tempted by the H, however I (and whilst I love the Steam deck) I much prefer vertical handhelds and the biggest portion of games I play dont really need an analogue stick / sticks.
PSP performance is good but wouldnt say its great. Wipeout Pulse looks incredible on the 35XX+ but doesnt run well enough to run without frameskip. Frameskip 1 its playable though.
Im sure with some ppsspp updates though, it might have enough power to run it without frameskip.

Virtua Tennis world tour though is fantasitc on the 35XX+ (and guess H aswell)

Soldato
Me too, but not the RG35XX+ or H because these lacks community support. I actually gave the RG35XX to my sister since I bought the Miyoo Mini +, if I get another one it will likely be the Powkiddy RGB30.
Lack comminity support? In terms of what?
There's people in Discord (including the CFW devs) working on updates constantly.
I'm in the testing Discord for MuOS. Adixal pushing out updates as fast as Black Seraph was for GarlicOS. Its on MuOS v9.1 currently

StockOS is much better on the 35XX+ (I'm pretty sure Black Seraph working with Anbernic to release the stock os in its current form) and other CFW is available - MuOS, MinUI, Batocera and GarlicOS 2.x

Soldato
My biggest problem with my 2 35xxs is that they no longer work.

One powers on, charges and everything, but beyond the first boot logo the screen just shuts off. Tried reseating the battery, reseating the screen but nothing. The unit is still "on" as you can see the backlight but the screen displays nothing. Tried stockOS and garlicOS with different SD cards.

The second one works fine but seems to discharge itself overnight so it's pretty useless. It holds charge fine when playing. I've swapped the battery in this one but the same result.

Caporegime
Lack comminity support? In terms of what?
There's people in Discord (including the CFW devs) working on updates constantly.
I'm in the testing Discord for MuOS. Adixal pushing out updates as fast as Black Seraph was for GarlicOS. Its on MuOS v9.1 currently

StockOS is much better on the 35XX+ (I'm pretty sure Black Seraph working with Anbernic to release the stock os in its current form) and other CFW is available - MuOS, MinUI, Batocera and GarlicOS 2.x

I can only point to Retro Game Corp on the Anbernic devices in relation to the RG45XX+, AFAIK, there isn't an Garlic OS for that.

Soldato
My biggest problem with my 2 35xxs is that they no longer work.

One powers on, charges and everything, but beyond the first boot logo the screen just shuts off. Tried reseating the battery, reseating the screen but nothing. The unit is still "on" as you can see the backlight but the screen displays nothing. Tried stockOS and garlicOS with different SD cards.

The second one works fine but seems to discharge itself overnight so it's pretty useless. It holds charge fine when playing. I've swapped the battery in this one but the same result.
Yeh, thats quite an issue but a hardware issue. I have my 35XX in my draw and it was powered off for months. When I turned it on it still had 90% battery. More or less exactly the same as when I powered it down.
I took upgraded the battery in that to a Liter 2800mah. Never had any issues and is running GarlicOS 1.4.9.

Soldato
Yeh, thats quite an issue but a hardware issue. I have my 35XX in my draw and it was powered off for months. When I turned it on it still had 90% battery. More or less exactly the same as when I powered it down.
I took upgraded the battery in that to a Liter 2800mah. Never had any issues and is running GarlicOS 1.4.9.
Yeah I think I must be cursed. I take a lot of care with my handhelds but obviously I've just been unlucky.

Soldato
I got a Powkiddy RGB30 - the one with the square 1:1 screen - at launch as I got a bit swept up in the hype. It's not been an altogether smooth experience. It's very fussy about what kind of charger it will accept and it has had loads of problems with the volume controls flat out not working. I thought it would be a nice thing to take on the train with me but it's proven to be too unreliable for me to trust it.

Soldato
Pretty much all my steam deck usage has been retro, little on the bulkier pricier side but they're fantastic.
Same, especially the new OLED model.

I've got a bunch of my favourite PS2 games on there which are great for quick bursts of play, and being able to sleep/resume reliably is neat. I've also found that some of the native ports of N64 games work fantastically well sucha as Perfect Dark and Ocarina of Time. Probably can't talk about those too much here though...

Back
Top Bottom