Best Retro Handheld

Soldato
Tiktok shop?! :D
I use my OG RG35X more than my Plus primarily because GarlicOS is so nice to use and everything is optimised and setup well. Plus is still in early stages really. Id say ‘beta’ at best even for stock os - cores are not great for certain systems, especially arcade.

Soldato
So my RG35xx H's arrived today. Fantastic kit tbh. I can play my favourite Dreamcast game on it with no problem (Jet Set radio) so I am a happy bunny
I have the vertical RG35XX and can't knock it for the price but do think horizontal are much more comfortable, at least for me.

Caporegime
I have the vertical RG35XX and can't knock it for the price but do think horizontal are much more comfortable, at least for me.

I've given in and ordered the H just now...part of the reason is this. Since it cost $62 for this 2024 model and the H is currently on sale for like $44 for the next few hours, I thought I might as well.

wx1biq8.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm tempted to sell my RG35XX+ and buy a RP2S. Apps like Winlator certainly peaks my curiosity on RP2S. Would this allow Nebula / m2 emulator to run and be able to properly emulate Sega model m2? Virtua Fighter 2, Sega rally championship, Daytona USA, Wave runner etc.

I have a Steam deck, RG35XX and RG35XX+
The Deck doesnt get used too much as is too big really to travel IMO. I use the RG35XX with GarlicOS 1.4.9 upto PSX as the Plus doesnt have the CFW yet really to play Dreamcast, N64 and PSP (system above PSX) that well. A combination of stock, MuOS and Batocera are required currently.

An RP2S can be had for £92 delivered directly from goretroid.com. Cant see it anywhere cheaper than that unless im missing something.

Anyone have experience with an RP2S that can comment on things like the UI experience, boot time, load times for apps/systems, input lag and general usability.

PSP wise, the RG35XX+ is ok, but some games not playable at all. The RP2S sounds like it runs PSP perfectly and this should help with aspect ratio - https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/155ghsn/640x480_35_4_handheld_owners_a_middleground_psp/

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm tempted to sell my RG35XX+ and buy a RP2S. Apps like Winlator certainly peaks my curiosity on RP2S. Would this allow Nebula / m2 emulator to run and be able to properly emulate Sega model m2? Virtua Fighter 2, Sega rally championship, Daytona USA, Wave runner etc.

I have a Steam deck, RG35XX and RG35XX+
The Deck doesnt get used too much as is too big really to travel IMO. I use the RG35XX with GarlicOS 1.4.9 upto PSX as the Plus doesnt have the CFW yet really to play Dreamcast, N64 and PSP (system above PSX) that well. A combination of stock, MuOS and Batocera are required currently.

An RP2S can be had for £92 delivered directly from goretroid.com. Cant see it anywhere cheaper than that unless im missing something.

Anyone have experience with an RP2S that can comment on things like the UI experience, boot time, load times for apps/systems, input lag and general usability.

PSP wise, the RG35XX+ is ok, but some games not playable at all. The RP2S sounds like it runs PSP perfectly and this should help with aspect ratio - https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/155ghsn/640x480_35_4_handheld_owners_a_middleground_psp/

I have the Retroid Pocket Flip.

The console itself is fine but I do not like Android as an OS, takes longer to boot, it doesn't feel like a console when you load up as it load up to a kind of phone screen. It feels like a hacked phone put into a console shell.

Screen is nice, the hardware itself is fine, but it feels like a mini version of the Steam Deck in a way.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Retroid Pocket Flip.

The console itself is fine but I do not like Android as an OS, takes longer to boot, it doesn't feel like a console when you load up as it load up to a kind of phone screen. It feels like a hacked phone put into a console shell.

Screen is nice, the hardware itself is fine, but it feels like a mini version of the Steam Deck in a way.
This is the main thing im wary of - boot time and general ui. I wont bother to use something thats not nice to use and takes 30 seconds or more to boot.

GarlicOS 1.4.9 on my RG35XX is perfect, sub 10 second boot and everthing is quickly accessible and loads almost instantly. Game/system close is almost instant too and power down is 1-2 seconds.

Caporegime
This is the main thing im wary of - boot time and general ui. I wont bother to use something thats not nice to use and takes 30 seconds or more to boot.

GarlicOS 1.4.9 on my RG35XX is perfect, sub 10 second boot and everthing is quickly accessible and loads almost instantly. Game/system close is almost instant too and power down is 1-2 seconds.

I much prefer using my Miyoo Mini + over my RP3. The Miyoo (and RG35XX) feels like a console. It boots up and play. Retroid feels like a computer.

Soldato
I much prefer using my Miyoo Mini + over my RP3. The Miyoo (and RG35XX) feels like a console. It boots up and play. Retroid feels like a computer.
Why wouldnt they have android and linux option on the RP2/RP2S/RP3?

I mihgt hold out for improving CFW on the RG35XX+ and save my money :)

Caporegime
Why wouldnt they have android and linux option on the RP2/RP2S/RP3?

I mihgt hold out for improving CFW on the RG35XX+ and save my money :)

I have no idea, but the set up process for the RP3 is more complicated than the Miyoo/RG35XX. The latter you can set everything up before you even get your hands on the console, into an SD card, ready to go.

The former (RP3), it takes a few hours, I recall doing all these emulation apps and running through steps. The end result is pretty, as it includes scrubbing online box art so most games shows up with box art. That is very neat. If you don't care about that, I think the RG35XX H might be THE one to get for like £40.

The plus side is that because it is Andriod, it has Google Play Store on it, you can do a lot on it, go online, watch YouTube etc. It is essentially mini iPod or a tiny tablet.

It can even do Xbox Cloud gaming.

V0WKNkR.jpg

xf09MZs.jpg

S7kQkOP.jpg

adQs2yo.jpg

kxiHDlp.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Update to the RG35XX just dropped. No WiFi or BT, little weaker than the plus, but more powerful than the 2023 model
Interesting, same specs as the Plus.

1GB RAM instead of 256MB.
dual- core G31 MP2 instead of Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9
H700 quad-core ARM Cortex-A53, 1.5GHz frequency instead of Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9

I wonder if GarlicOS 1.4.9 will work with this, doubt it. Whats the point exactly if people can pay a few quid more for the Plus and get wifi, bluetooth, bigger battery..?

Soldato
Interesting, same specs as the Plus.

1GB RAM instead of 256MB.
dual- core G31 MP2 instead of Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9
H700 quad-core ARM Cortex-A53, 1.5GHz frequency instead of Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9

I wonder if GarlicOS 1.4.9 will work with this, doubt it. Whats the point exactly if people can pay a few quid more for the Plus and get wifi, bluetooth, bigger battery..?
I'm presuming it's easier or cheaper for them to use the same parts. Or maybe they just can't get stock of the older stuff.

If a similar price then like you say better to get the plus. They can't bump the price of the plus just because the lower model has improved as that'd likely impact sales of the plus.

Fully expect the non-plus model to dissappear in the near future.

Soldato
I was going to take a punt on a Miyoo Mini Plus for about £45 but then I thought, will I actually use it? I'm so happy with my Steam Deck I just can't see the use for one.

Soldato
If the RG35XX 2024 model has only a 2600mAh battery instead of the 3300mAh in the plus, does this mean its slightly slimmer? (also like the RG35XX OG

Caporegime
I ordered a RG35XX H that should arrive next week. 67 euros from aliexpress as there is no tiktok shop in Spain to get it cheaper.

1st handheld for me since a Vita I had like a decade ago, although I messed around a fair bit with a playstation classic when they came out. Purely plan to play some PS1, Snes and arcade games on the Anbernic handheld.

Not wanting to spend a fortune for now, so was planning on using some SD cards I have lying around to replace the inevitable crappy one that will come with it.

I'm assuming these cheap handhelds would not be able to utilise the bandwidth of the faster cards used in cameras etc so a slower/older SanDisk one would be fine? What's everyone else using for the OS SD card? I may buy a 128 or 256 one for games, but wanted to see if the 32gb cards I have lying around would be any good to start with while testing and messing around with OSes.

rp20000

Caporegime
I ordered a RG35XX H that should arrive next week. 67 euros from aliexpress as there is no tiktok shop in Spain to get it cheaper.

1st handheld for me since a Vita I had like a decade ago, although I messed around a fair bit with a playstation classic when they came out. Purely plan to play some PS1, Snes and arcade games on the Anbernic handheld.

Not wanting to spend a fortune for now, so was planning on using some SD cards I have lying around to replace the inevitable crappy one that will come with it.

I'm assuming these cheap handhelds would not be able to utilise the bandwidth of the faster cards used in cameras etc so a slower/older SanDisk one would be fine? What's everyone else using for the OS SD card? I may buy a 128 or 256 one for games, but wanted to see if the 32gb cards I have lying around would be any good to start with while testing and messing around with OSes.

rp20000

Sandisk Ultra is what I get for them, £10.99 for 128G ones at the moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sandisk Ultra is what I get for them, £10.99 for 128G ones at the moment.

I got a couple of these:
v2i5IIC.jpeg

The one you suggest looks like this:
62zHvEk.png

From the confusing labels and logos used by the SD card companies, they should be equivalent, right?

Edit: Mine is not A1, but it's probably from the days before the A1/A2 logos were defined. I'm fairly sure the card is about 7 years old :D

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
I got a couple of these:
v2i5IIC.jpeg

The one you suggest looks like this:
62zHvEk.png

From the confusing labels and logos used by the SD card companies, they should be equivalent, right?

Edit: Mine is not A1, but it's probably from the days before the A1/A2 logos were defined. I'm fairly sure the card is about 7 years old :D

rp2000

It’ll work fine, I have a random brand 32G one I picked up in Daiso (Japanese Poundland) that I’m going to use for the H that’s on its way.

Back
Top Bottom