Best Retro Handheld

Soldato
Regarding the steam deck, is there much difference between the LCD and oled screen. I was thinking of picking up a cheap one and sticking batocera on an SD to run on it. Plus an upgraded SSD for steam stuff.
The OLED screen itself is a massive improvement, and it’s great for 4:3 games as the “off” part of the screen essentially turns into bezel. There’s lots of other quality of life improvements like a far quieter fan, extended battery, HDR, and 90Hz.

All that said, if you can ignore the existence of the OLED model then you’ll be perfectly happy with the LCD.

Associate
Regarding the steam deck, is there much difference between the LCD and oled screen. I was thinking of picking up a cheap one and sticking batocera on an SD to run on it. Plus an upgraded SSD for steam stuff.
from what ive seen other than the screen being a lot better it runs cooler and battery life is better and the fans dont ramp up as fast during heavy load fps is higher too, you could pick a refurb lcd off valve and just add your own nvme drive. I have the lcd model myself and put a corsair mp600 in it.

Soldato
Picked up a RG35XX H from AliExpress for £33 the other day - arrived today, and I'm really, really, impressed with the quality of it! Replaced the SD with a nice quality card, and will see how it goes
Didn't take to this at all, so moved on fairly quickly

Soldato
Didn't take to this at all, so moved on fairly quickly
I had one and returned it, it's decent for the money but the screen wasn't great quality imo, fussy charging and then I started having battery issues.

I have the OG RG35XX so not much different barring the form factor.

What is your device of choice now?

Soldato
Thanks to this thread I recently got an Anbernic nano and rg35xx. Both decent, wasn’t completely sure what to expect. But have been pleasantly surprised by the ease of use, and have been introduced to a few new emulators I didn’t know existed. MSX for instance.
One question on the rg35xx it sometimes says press F for options. But there is no f button?!

Soldato
I had one and returned it, it's decent for the money but the screen wasn't great quality imo, fussy charging and then I started having battery issues.

I have the OG RG35XX so not much different barring the form factor.

What is your device of choice now?
Just sticking to my Steam Deck and Switch combo

Soldato
Thanks to this thread I recently got an Anbernic nano and rg35xx. Both decent, wasn’t completely sure what to expect. But have been pleasantly surprised by the ease of use, and have been introduced to a few new emulators I didn’t know existed. MSX for instance.
One question on the rg35xx it sometimes says press F for options. But there is no f button?!
Maybe they mean F for function as in the menu button?

Associate
Guys just picked up a 405V and wow.... But i came to ask a question to all you veterans. the device boots into Android 12, but with a click of a button you switch to where it lists your emulators... Is there anyway to add to this list. If i press select i can deselect some so when i scroll through there not listed. But if i wanted to add ZX Spectrum CBM64 etc to that front end can you do it ?. I can play them all if i drop back to android 12 and go into retro arch but be nicer if i could add more to the main front end. thanks

Back
Top Bottom