• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BF4 Retail CPU scaling measured

Oh, hopefully he does. Prior to the bf4 beta release i had a quick read of a thread on guru3d. A few people were asking about a 64 bit version. He was pretty dead against it, (bit rude too tbh), said it was due to time constraints.

Could someone with HT and 8 cores try it with HT off? Someone like Alex_123_Fra with a decent overclock just disable it and look at the minimum frame rates.

Unless they fixed HT with BF4 it runs a lot faster with HT off. AMD and 4770K users need not bother as 8T is just about the right amount for Frostbite. Anymore and its detrimental to performance apparantly.

I have managed to play this finally at some capacity. I still get almost 1 disconnect per map usually from the client disconnecting me but starting to enjoy it.

I am surprised my GPU usage gas been not maxed out using two budget 7770's. Started off on low settings, then medium and this only hit 70% usage so starting to put almost all of them on high.

Once they start patching it, we will hopefully experience the game for all it's glory it was meant to be played in.

Bottleneck seen when running serveral programs and BF4

Just installed the afterburner beta and took a few shots showing both cpu and gpu usage history in game.

Gpu's.
Xp5rYAh.png

Cpu.
Dnj7XAa.png [/IMG]

Cpu usage is pretty high at max, though my chip is currently at stock speed at present. Gpu's maxing at 95% each. Waiting till i get new ram before clocking it up. Incidentally, max ram usage eas 4.7gb.

Thanks for posting that Setter, incidentally what photo sharer are you using to show the screen shots?

The railway game has pretty spread out combat and action most of the time, but regardless of this its looking like your trace is showing 70-75% cpu usage while running fraps and afterburner with spikes upwards of 90-100% according to the max usage above each graph for cpu usage. Running all that software in the back ground would probably bottleneck my cpu for sure, even at 4.6-4.7Ghz. The fact this is at stock on your Haswell is a testament to how good a) multithreading is working in BF4 b) efficient the Haswell IPC is.

I really pushed my cards, cpu and ram last night to the absolute brink.

I'm running HIS Ice Turbo and XFX 7950's, 1200Mhz Gpu 1500Mhz Mem. CPU 4.65Ghz 1.5V, Mem 2200Mhz C10

Results

1920x1200 Custom Ultra MSAA x4,VSYN, 64 MP Paracel Storm Team Death match..Full on action...

Gpu 1 47%
Gpu 2 47%
CPU 70-100% (100% when running afterburner and switching in and out of programs which often causes a cpu spike). I am pretty close to a B'Neck for sure.

CPU was throttling and I saw a thermal flatline of 103oC on 3 occasions according to the traces.

I dont think its stable below 1.5v at 4.6Ghz....

I could potentially declock cards to bring up the gpu usage which may or may not effect cpu...

So if mantle doesn't help with my potential cpu bottleneck then I'm getting an i7......(it would take more than a Titan to bottleneck the 3750k on a single card at 4.6Ghz imo)

Damn I hate paying intel money..........

Edit

Setter 49oC and 50% Gpu, CPU usage at 75% looks like the trace was in the start screen not the actual game!!!! Also you state 95% on 2 gpu's but the trace says only 50% whats amiss?

Last edited:
Found this interesting so thought I would give it a shot and see how much CPU and what not this game is using! I used HWInfo...

3mnf.jpg

I run Ultra - No AA - 120% Resolution Scaling

I use V-Sync and I can get constant 60fps pretty much at 1080p with AA turned on but not with 120% resolution. So its one or the other and I think the 120% resolution scaling looks nicer. These settings give me constant 60fps.

On a side note if I have AA turned off like I do... does AA Post Processing do anything, should I just turn it off if I have AA turned off or is it seperate!?

Last edited:
Edit

Setter 49oC and 50% Gpu, CPU usage at 75% looks like the trace was in the start screen not the actual game!!!! Also you state 95% on 2 gpu's but the trace says only 50% whats amiss?
Alt tabbing out of the game to take the screenshot isnt ideal tbh. Particularly as ab only shows the max and whatevers on the trace at the time. Hence the real need for ab osd so you can see usage in real time. For those pics i had been killed and was waiting to redeploy. Ill be clocking my cpu up a bit later to see what difference it makes. Screens are hosted on www.imgur.com

Left HWInfo running during a conquest 64 player game.

dY1Dnk6.png

Pretty useful program for monitoring. That was still with the cpu at stock, ht enabled and vsync off. Need to dig out my cpu oc settings and reapply them.

Last edited:
How will the game fare on the system below? It's no great loss if the performance is below par, since I'm replacing it within the next few months. (Ideally, I'd like to play it in the meantime.)

AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Processor 4.00GHz 16MB Cache
Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB GDDR5
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Last edited:
game should play well on high settings depends what you want do you want graphics or high fps ? you will be able to play it fine though so no need to upgrade yet.

How will the game fare on the system below? It's no great loss if the performance is below par, since I'm replacing it within the next few months. (Ideally, I'd like to play it in the meantime.)

AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Processor 4.00GHz 16MB Cache
Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMM
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB GDDR5
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

You should be ok, im running mine on ultra @1080, runs sweet as a nut.

at end of day there is no difference between i5s and i7s in single card configurations. hyperthreading nothing.

people were saying different the evidence is there in black and white.

Back
Top Bottom