Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do my knees hurt when I ride my single speed?

Knee pain can be caused by several different issues, most of which are addressed in the "Knee problems" section of the Rec.Bicycles FAQ. Single speeders, in particular, often experience some knee pain from riding. In addition to the suggestions mentioned on Rec.Bicycles, you may want to consider a lower gearing (related to question/answer #3), and/or a high-float pedal design like the Speedplay Frog, Time Atac, or Crank Bros. Eggbeaters.

Q: I just recently got into single speed riding. While it is wicked fun, I'm concerned about effects on my ancient knees. Can you shed any light on whether pushing big gears will damage ones knees? Is this a good training tool as many seem to insist? - Rob

A: Ahh the beautiful simplicity of the single speed bike. You can’t beat it…unless you choose a more efficient gear ratio. And there in lies your battle, the most appropriate choice of gearing to allow for your most efficient cadence for your terrain; which is easier said then done.

During your outings I am sure you have realized that there are really 3 intensities of single speed riding. Too hard, low cadence that you can barely turn over; too easy, cadence so high it makes you want to curl up and take a nap; and the sweet spot which is just right. That sweet spot is the time when you are moving in harmony with your surroundings, your speed is high but your HR and power output are low making this your (you guessed it) most efficient cadence for that terrain. Since you are motoring along with such minimal effort you could continue indefinitely, while your time at the other 2 intensities is not only limited, but they could pose some problems. The too hard - low cadence intensity seems obvious, it is high tension requires lots of power output and will cause muscle fatigue sooner than you want to admit. But will it affect your knees? More likely your knees will affect your riding. If you are predisposed to knee problems, or experience pain during running or squats you could very well have pain with repeated bouts of low cadence, high tension riding. If you do, first check your seat position and make sure it isn’t too low. But generally the problem is caused by a weakened quadriceps muscle that isn’t pulling the patella across the joint in perfect alignment. If that is the case you can strengthen the muscle by doing a ¾ leg extension exercise in the weight room. If that isn’t the case or you are unsure, I recommend a visit to your physician. As for the too easy - high cadence intensity, while it will drive your HR up due to the rapid movement (which will eventually exhaust you) it is a low power effort and therefore you should last as long as you have the patience to persevere. So is single speed riding a good training tool? Heck yah! This is the best way to focus on the trail in front of you without nagging misfiring or chain-suck issues. So get out and ride, and if your knees start to hurt, go home.

You can't expect 1 gear to cover all bases. If you ride towns and fairly flat areas at average cadence, then you may be ok. But mountain bikes and single speeding, to me, is pointless. That's why we have a range of 24 or 27 gears, so that whatever terrain we ride on, we have a gear that suits. The only thing I can think of worse for your knees than singlespeeding.... Is single speeding with a Biopace chainset! eeek!

Last edited:
Bye bye knees.

No problems :yet: and its a blast riding single speed apart from the looks " where are your gears " some people give you

Ive been out on the trails with a few guys who have gears and i have had no problems matching pace and have got over everything that has been thrown in front of me.

Its like marmite - You either Love it or Hate it :)

Last edited:
well it's built guys! Went for brand new saints in the end due to the seller messing me around, but they turned up eventually so if anyone wants any saints give me a shout! good condition.

patriot1.jpg

patriot2.jpg

patriot3.jpg

pro2.jpg

saints1.jpg

Finally got my baby back! (I did post a pic of it after bits had been stolen off it before!)
Ive been counting down the days until I get to go on it, bit windy at the mo, but hopefully I'll have a play tomorrow!

DSC00259copy.jpg

As you cant buy Scott parts on there own, I upgraded a little. So its running Hope Pro II's and Nobby Nic's. Im eager to try the Nobby's out as Ive heard good things about them :)

Last edited:
Went out on it today, and my god do I love this thing! I swear it's faster uphill than the Scale I had previously too! The rear Hope is very loud when coasting, but I'm sure it will die down with more riding :)
This is ontop of Bredon Hill:

DSC00261copy.jpg

DSC00260copy.jpg

Near finish my new build, in its commuting form:

Few weeks ago in Swinley with the old wheels and brakes:

Just waiting for some new LX Hollowtech 2 cranks to finish it off

The part list at the moment are:
Frame: Handsome Dog Talisman (1.8kg steel frame)
Forks: Rock Shox Psylo
Front Brake: Hope Mini 185 rotor
Rear Brake: Hope Mini 165 rotor
Crankset: Shimano Deore Square Taper
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54
Wheels: Weinmann ZAC19 Rims on Commencal Hubs
Off road Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar tyres
On road slicks: Schwalbe City Jet
Derailer Front: Shimano Deore M530
Derailer Rear: Shimano Deore LX M571
Shifters: Shimano Deore XT 8 speed
Stem: Titec Little Al
Handlebar: Club Roost Sport 2 GS bar
Handlebar grips: Lizard Skin Northshore
Headset: FSA Oribit MX
Chain: SRAM PC870
Cassette: SRAM PG850
Pedals: Time ATAC Al
Saddle: Specialized BG2 Sport

I think light steel frames are the way "forward", I really like the extra springy-ness + they will out last aluminium frames. Rust is a problem though so I need to go over new scratches with touch-up paint every month :p Probably get a titanium frame when I can afford one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom