Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Coilair and the Coiler are pretty much the same frame, but don't the fork on the Coilair seem more appealing (i never rode one of those before)
The fork on the Coiler is new and unproven - I'd wait until it's been out for a while or you're effectively making yourself Marzocchi's guinea pig.

Compared to the tried and trusted Vanilla 36s on the Giant you're sacrificing adjustable travel for superior plushness and tracking by going for the air sprung Marzocchi forks.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of dropping £600 on a Chris Boardman. I'm looking at the comp spec mountain bike from here.

The spec looks very good for the price with 85-130 mm Rockshox Recon, X9 rear mech and Juicy 3's. It's quite light too. The pro spec for £1000 got a 10/10 on MBUK but that's a bit too ritch for me right now!

The alternative is a Rockhopper Disk... but the spec isn't nearly as good. Hmm....!

So expect some new pictures from me today or tomorrow, maybe.

Just got this. Rockhopper Comp 2008. And I managed to get it for £675.00 including black DMR V8 pedals. :D

newbikekk8.jpg

I'll replace this picture with a better one tomorrow!!

Sorry, dont quite get the "Kona smell of egg"bit. You dont like Kona?
If so, why not?
(I'm not attacking your point of view, quite the contrary... I want more informed opinions than my own)
The Coilair and the Coiler are pretty much the same frame, but don't the fork on the Coilair seem more appealing (i never rode one of those before)
The Reign X1 does seem like a good value bike indeed, but you mentioned "that"price range. What did you mean by that... would you spend a tad more and get something much better?
If so, what would that be?

I do not like Konas, I feel they are overpriced and under engineered. You can avoid the overpricing by buying a previous year's model, but I wouldn't be confident that it'd hold up to everything (aggro trails) without cracking or fracturing.

I am very much a coil man, even though they're less adjustable and heavier, you can't beat the feel of coil springs.

The reign is a fantastic bike to go for, whatever your price range. OK it gets comparatively less good as the price range increases, but what else can you expect? Giants make high spec, inexpensive, good quality bikes with great suspension. I have a Trance and a Reign on my possible list, along side two Santa Cruz bikes.

Spend what you feel the bike is worth, otherwise you'll always think you paid too much.

Collister: Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Got this a few days ago to do a mix of road and trail stuff just to improve my fitness, and ride with some mates:

IMG_0050-20080321-230238.jpg

It's a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc, I've only done a few miles on it today, but I'm impressed with it so far, perfect for what I need. I put on my road tyres after that ride though, much less rolling resistance seeing as I'm doing mostly road at the moment :)

Just got this. Rockhopper Comp 2008. And I managed to get it for £675.00 including black DMR V8 pedals. :D

newbikekk8.jpg

I'll replace this picture with a better one tomorrow!!

Looks nice mate. I was going to tell you to get away from boardman. I work in halfords(part time),as does my brother(full time), and i was having a converation with a guy over Gt aggressor elite or a boardman. The boardman spec is brilliant but apparently the frames ain't up to much. Specialized are very very good IMO. :p

WOW! Finally went clipless today, and apart from falling off stationary once (:p). I can't believe how much difference it makes! I've only been pretty much on road today few laps around Arthurs seat and some light grass work, but it feels so connected :D On a high atm, can't wait to get back out! :D

I've just read that high rollers can be put on two ways round is this true?

Depends what you want from the tyre. Following the arrow on the tyre makes the tyre dig in under braking.....reversing it on the rear means it digs in for traction which is better since the back locks up easily under braking.

Defo run it for braking on the front though.

Got this a few days ago to do a mix of road and trail stuff just to improve my fitness, and ride with some mates:

It's a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc, I've only done a few miles on it today, but I'm impressed with it so far, perfect for what I need. I put on my road tyres after that ride though, much less rolling resistance seeing as I'm doing mostly road at the moment :)

what tyres are those? specialized crossroads armadillos?

Depends what you want from the tyre. Following the arrow on the tyre makes the tyre dig in under braking.....reversing it on the rear means it digs in for traction which is better since the back locks up easily under braking.

Defo run it for braking on the front though.

At the moment I'm going to be doing riding a bit on roads and on gravel paths for fitness, so if I have the chevrons on the tread of the tire pointing in the direction that I'm going will that make them have less rolling resistance? (this would be opposite to the direction of travel arrow on the sidewall)

At the moment I'm going to be doing riding a bit on roads and on gravel paths for fitness, so if I have the chevrons on the tread of the tire pointing in the direction that I'm going will that make them have less rolling resistance? (this would be opposite to the direction of travel arrow on the sidewall)

Having the roll of the blocks facing backwards for better braking is the best way for them to roll. I totally would not recoment a high roller for on road...it will last not very long at all,unless you get 60a. ******* amazing off road though.

yep I've found that out today, the compound is 60a but they are still really really grippy make a squelching sound as your ride proper worn me out :p I think cramming them onto my dp 17 rims has ripper the inner tubes tho as they went flat after 5 hours.

Er... I don't know! Is there more than one type of Crossroads? Because they're Crossroads but I didn't really pay much attention besides that, he just threw in some road tyres for me when I bought the bike because I wanted to do some road riding :D

yeah 3 types i think, standard, armadillo (sidewall protection?) and armadillo elite? (full aramid? puncture protection) just wondering how you're finding them? have you tried them off road at all on hardpack? any good? i fancy something a bit faster for this spring/summer with road and off road hardpack use and puncture protection.

:cool:
My mate bought a new Spech recently, keeps making me look at my frame and think its old :p. The new(er) frame is all shaped and stronger and lighter and so much better... Shame frames cost so much otherwise i might have thought about grabbing a new one for myself (i can't have him having a lighter bike can i?) :D

yeah 3 types i think, standard, armadillo (sidewall protection?) and armadillo elite? (full aramid? puncture protection) just wondering how you're finding them? have you tried them off road at all on hardpack? any good? i fancy something a bit faster for this spring/summer with road and off road hardpack use and puncture protection.

I haven't used them yet, I put them on after that ride but I've been busy/unwell/out since then so haven't had the chance to have a ride yet :(

I'll go and see what ones they are in a mo (presumably just the standard ones, seeing as they were freebies), but they look quite decent, like they'd be ok for use on dry hardpack. I'll let you know once I've had a go on them, but the chances of any of the dirt here being dry is pretty slim at the moment!

I've just read that high rollers can be put on two ways round is this true?
Consensus seems to be 'normal' direction for better braking performance and 'backwards' for more grip.

Splasher from UK-MTB said:
If you look at the bottom of a High Roller mounted in accordance with the arrow, you will see that the ramp is rearward and the edge forward. This means that the ramp "introduces" the cleat reducing the rolling resistance but the edge facing forward provides braking grip. The down-side of this is that the ramp reduces your traction in gloop.

Turn it around (wrong way) and you will have the poorer rolling resistance of a square cleat design, with reduced braking performance but better traction in mud. If you're going to do this though, you may as well get a square cleated tyre which at least will grip in both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom