Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet that is a tough choice out of them pair! although i really like the fact that trek use bontrager for most of there spec over specialized own brand stuff
Trek own Bontrager so effectively they are own brand parts ;)

We had a check online on his rim details, and they are only supposed to take up to a maximum of 90.

What's yours?
DT Swiss XR 4.2 rims max weight is 90kg so i'm within that.

A couple of photos of the wheel.

2008_Enduro-Pro-Carbon-15.jpg

2008_Enduro-Pro-Carbon-14.jpg

Wowzers... what were you Just Riding Along on?! Did you do any damage to anything else or just the wheel?

In other news; i'm looking for an online parts store. who do you use? BMX specifically, but most places do all sizes anyway eh. (sorry, cba with a new thread just for that little question)

Not strictly on topic sorry!!

I made the mistake of leaning my bike against the wall in our back yard this afternoon. The wind got up and it fell over, typically it landed on the right hand break lever, this is the damage.......

Sorry about the rubbish pictures i had to take them on my camera phone.

bike1.JPG

bike.JPG

They are Hayes So1e hydraulics. I know they are rubbish, but i don't want to shell out for expensive stuff just yet. Looking at the pictures, is there any way to fix this? Or do you think it's into the bike shop for a right good botti spanking?

Not strictly on topic sorry!!

I made the mistake of leaning my bike against the wall in our back yard this afternoon. The wind got up and it fell over, typically it landed on the right hand break lever, this is the damage.......

Sorry about the rubbish pictures i had to take them on my camera phone.

bike1.JPG

bike.JPG

They are Hayes So1e hydraulics. I know they are rubbish, but i don't want to shell out for expensive stuff just yet. Looking at the pictures, is there any way to fix this? Or do you think it's into the bike shop for a right good botti spanking?

Maybe unscrew the thread place the ball back in the socket pull the lever back and then screw back into place should do the trick!

I know this is a bit OT, but I need some help.

I have a Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007, I don't ride much, and I know nothing about bikes (other than how to ride one).

The pedal crank/arm (is that what it's called?) has completely come off my bike. As seen in this picture.

n501607993_918476_4456.jpg

If I put the pedal arm back on, it only goes on a little bit, and I can only tighten the bolt a little bit as there is so little space to tighten it. I probably shouldn't have done, but I hammered the arm to try and wedge it on, and it was fine for an hour of riding, but then it completely fell off again.

I really don't know what to do with it. I can get more pictures if need be.

EDIT: Ok, after Googling and looking at my crank arm, it is screwed. The metal is completely deformed, so I think I need a new one. I'll take it into town and get a replacement one tomorrow me thinks. I hope it is ok.

Last edited:
Seeing that your crank arm has deformed, your bottom bracket might be broken as well and trying to put a new crankarm onto a broken tapered bottom bracket will break your new crank arm as well (I did that myself once). So take the bike with you and let someone in your LBS to have a look at it for you.

Also, it is usually pretty difficult to get a single crank arm especially if it's a cheap crankset.

You might have to get a new crankset and bottom bracket.

Seeing that your crank arm has deformed, your bottom bracket might be broken as well and trying to put a new crankarm onto a broken tapered bottom bracket will break your new crank arm as well (I did that myself once). So take the bike with you and let someone in your LBS to have a look at it for you.

Also, it is usually pretty difficult to get a single crank arm especially if it's a cheap crankset.

You might have to get a new crankset and bottom bracket.

Thanks mate. I'll take it into the shop tomorrow and get some advice on what to do. Would it be a good idea to pay extra to get them to change it all as I really think I would just mess it up :(

I have a real hankering for getting into biking a bit more after a ride around Bewl Water on Saturday, despite having to walk the final 6 miles due to this problem :(

If the bottom bracket is ok, I think you'd probably be ok fitting the crankset yourself as it's just a simple case of tightening some bolts. However, make sure you ask them to remove the right side crank arm for you as you need a crank extractor for doing that.

Fitting bottom bracket is a job for professionals as for a proper fit, the thread needs to be re-cut and the surface re-faced to make sure an absolutely perfect fit.

If it's anywhere less than perfect, your bottom bracket won't last as long. Hence it is usual for them to charge ~£30 labour to refit a bottom bracket. But if you are not planning to keep the bike/frame for long, buy the tool and do it yourself.

Btw, the dust wipers on your forks have come off, you might want to clean, regrease and put it back on because dirt will get inside your forks if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom