Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another photo of my bike - I love it :)

sdk-enduro-sl_pro-carbon.jpg

Guys, got my GT avalance, it came pre built so I didn't have to do much to get on it, anyway sometimes the gears are crunching as if there not working correctly, do they need oiling or whatnot? I have no idea what to look for?

Also do you have any maintanance tips? When do I oil the chain etc etc?

Thanks

Guys, got my GT avalance, it came pre built so I didn't have to do much to get on it, anyway sometimes the gears are crunching as if there not working correctly, do they need oiling or whatnot? I have no idea what to look for?

Thanks

Go to www.parktool.com/repair and read the section on tuning your rear derailleur, the chances are you just need to adust the barrel adjuster on the shifter.

Thanks

Did you buy it from halfords pre built lol?

Sounds like the cable has stretched to me.

IMG_1116.jpg

Looks ace mate! Is it a custom build? Make me one, I fancy a road bike for the summer.

It was built for me yes, but it's not a custom measured frame, only a few pros manage to get custom carbon frames.

It looks super badass now the bottle cages don't have the red on them and the steerer is cut. It's likely to go completely ninja soon with the wheel decals coming off and the Ritchey branding on the stem getting erased somehow. I'll take another photo then :)

You'd cry if I told you the price :D

Do you know if the Hope Moto 6 floating rotor will fit my Avid Ultimate brakes ?

I have seen someone with a blue hope floating rotor and a juicy 5 before, but what you need to watch out for is the distance from the tabs on the avid pads to the floating rivets these could catch, and the Moto 6 discs are thicker than a normal disc i beleive so maybe get your local shop and check this?

Dampcat: Investigate building a Cove Handjob.
From what I've read, they are the shizzle and great value for your cash
I'll second that.

I wouldn't exactly say the Handjob is in the same league as some of those other bikes that have been already mentioned by SDK^ but it's a much more capable all-rounder and can be built up as a XC whippet or a AM singletrack weapon like mine.

£1k would get you a fine spec. I think I've spent just over £1,300 on mine but I've really pushed the boat out on some of the components.

Thanks for the advice.

I think i'm going to go with a pre-built bike for now, see how it works out. Seems to me that value on bikes holds pretty well and logically if i dont use it as much as i want to, then it'll be in good condition :P If i do get in to it i'll think about picking up a frame and working my way up from there :)

please do tell :)

anyone got or know someone who has a Genesis Day 01,02 or 03 flat bar road bike?

quite fancy one but would like a review from someone who has one or has ridden one

I had the 07 Day 01 and it was fantastic. Really good for commuting. The bike accelerates very nicely and I found the handling to be perfect. It's wasn't the lightest bike I've ever picked up, but good enough.

The only problem with it that I found was with punctures, but frankly with any bike with skinny tyres I think I'd have the same problem.

It's leaps and bounds better than a mountain bike for commuting. The only niggling doubt that I had was whether I should have bought a drop handlebar racer.

I've not had a go on the 08 models, but they look even racier than mine was. I had mine nicked in Paddington, and I'm riding the Ridgeback Flight T2 at the moment, which is almost the same as my old one except with carbon front forks. Still enjoying it very much. I would definitely recommend them.

Nice bike 6thElement!

It's actually one of my cheaper bikes, probably about £1000 all in :D

Awesome day today riding downhill on the Highline, pefect weather, and plenty of the pro-riders out competing in the US Open. Got some good photos I need to sort through and watched Steve Smith beat Sam Hill to the title by a fraction of a second.

please do tell :)

anyone got or know someone who has a Genesis Day 01,02 or 03 flat bar road bike?

quite fancy one but would like a review from someone who has one or has ridden one

I've had a 2004 Day00 for about 4 years. If it was stolen tomorrow then I would not replace it like for like. I would buy the equivalent Specialized or Marin.

During this time I have had 2 new frames, my bike shop used to sell a lot of these bikes but now seems to have cut right back on them. One of the guys in the shop told me that there were a couple of batches that had very dodgy welds and that they had needed to do lots of warranty replacements. I now have a bike with the 07 frame and touch-wood it seems to be alright at the moment.

It's actually one of my cheaper bikes, probably about £1000 all in :D

Awesome day today riding downhill on the Highline, pefect weather, and plenty of the pro-riders out competing in the US Open. Got some good photos I need to sort through and watched Steve Smith beat Sam Hill to the title by a fraction of a second.

1K for that? Look more expensive, would be a dream bike for me that :D. Does all that carbon make you go faster compared to a standard alu frame?

Thanks for the advice.

I think i'm going to go with a pre-built bike for now, see how it works out. Seems to me that value on bikes holds pretty well and logically if i dont use it as much as i want to, then it'll be in good condition :P If i do get in to it i'll think about picking up a frame and working my way up from there :)
You want to spend a grand on a bike? I couldn't think of a better way of doing it than this. A guy from another forum is selling it and I thought you might be interested.

Black '07 Cove Handjob 19.5" (L) frame.
Rock Shox Revelations 426 Dual Air
'07 XTR shifters, front and rear mech.
'06 M960 XTR chainset (not shown below)
'07 XT cassette
SRAM PC 991 hollowpin chain
Hope Mono Mini disc brakes (185mm front / 160mm rear)
Thomson Elite X4 stem
Thomson Elite layback seatpost
Charge Spoon Saddle
Hope Pro2 hubs on DT Swiss EX5.1 rims
Schwalbe 2.4 Nobby Nics (brand new tyres)

6396951015608097331mk7.jpg

You might need to swap the seatpost for a inline one and swap the stem for something aroud the 50mm mark, but the L frame should fit you well. I'm 6' and I have the same 19.5" frame but it's quite compact and chuckable. I've stretched the cockpit out with my choice of seatpost and stem to fit my reach though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom