Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What width saddles have you been trying? You might need to try one slightly wider.

Or a better shape for your sit bones, getting a wider saddle is not always the right choice.

Plus of course things like saddle height, angle and forward/back placement can change feel of it.

Is that the 2008 1.0 mate?

I got the same bike about a month ago. It's great

I love my 2006 GT 1.0 and the wife loves her 2006 GT too. Cracking bikes!

They will, however, be relegated to second bikes for trips to the pub and occasional light off-road duties as we are upgrading to serious road bikes as we are increasingly spending more time and much longer distances on the road and slick tyres and locked out forks only go so far.

Current favorites are a Specialized Dolce Elite for her and a Specialized Allez Elite for me (although I am somewhat tempted by the Trek 1.7 but cannot find any reviews!)

My new bike, which i think looks stunning, even more so in real life.

Really it's too good for me, thinking of putting on ebay early next week when back from holiday. Bike is still brand new and has never been ridden, looking for around £2500.

This mountain bike was custom built with no expense spared by LeisureLakes, an authorised specialized dealer, using only top of the range components.
Spec is as follows:

Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 2007 Carbon Fibre Frame Size Large RRP £1699
DT Swiss XMC 100 Carbon Fibre Forks RRP £699

DT Swiss XR4.2d Rims RRP £69.90
DT Swiss Revolution Spokes RRP £61.20
2008 Shimano XTR M975 Centre Lock Disc Rear Hub RRP £129.99
2008 Shimano XTR M975 Centre Lock Front Hub RRP £69.99
Continental Ultra GatorSkin Tyres RRP £55.98
Continental Innertubes RRP £9.95

FSA XC Carbon Flat Bars RRP £84.99
Thomson Elite Stem RRP £69.95
Thomson Elite Seatpost RRP £69.95
Specialized Phenom SL Saddle RRP £79.95
Specialized LockOn Grips RRP £7.99

2008 Shimano XTR M975 Disk Brakes WIth 180mm Rotors Front & Rear RRP £315.00
2008 Shimano XTR FC-M970 XTR HollowTech II Crank & BB RRP £299.95
2008 Shimano XTR Titanium CS-M970 9-Speed Cassette RRP £99.99
2008 Shimano Dura Ace-XTR Chain 9 Speed 7701 RRP £24.99
2008 Shimano FD-M970 XTR Front Mech F-Type Top Swing RRP £54.99
2008 Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur Shadow M972 RRP £99.99
2008 Shimano XTR Shifter Pod 9sp M970 RRP £49.99
2008 Shimano XTR Shifter Pod 9sp M970 RRP £49.99
2008 Shimano XTR Gear Cables RRP £19.99
2008 Shimano M970 XTR Pedals RRP 89.99

Total RRP £4212.71

Picture of the other side.

I have Maxxis Flyweight 330 XC tyres also :)

Where I live the country roads are bumpy, hence the reason getting a full suspension mountain bike that could give a smooth quick ride.

Last edited:
Where I live the country roads are bumby but a decent road bike can take the bumpy roads just fine! suspension just slows you down in the end as you loose power. Allthough from looks of it they are not propor road tyres anyway, sort of hybrid bike tyres, better for all around, hard to tell in the pic though, they look wider.

Picture of the other side.

I have Maxxis Flyweight 330 XC tyres also :)

Where I live the country roads are bumpy, hence the reason getting a full suspension mountain bike that could give a smooth quick ride.

Nice bike, but road tyres ?!?!
I'm guessing you got it at a reduced price because the 2008 Stumpy FSR is £4000 (which itself is about to be replaced by the 2009 model) and is quite a bit lighter than the 07 model, even with those upgrades.

If you are using that just for road use then I think you've bought the wrong bike.

Last edited:
You can stand up and pedal without any bob due to the 'brain fade' on smooth surfaces. So it's like having a rigid bike, but very comfortable over the bigger bumps. My last bike was rigid, but it was uncomfortable when the tires were at 100psi.

There is a 200g weight difference between 2007 and 2008 frames. My custom build is lighter than the £4000 2008 bike.

Last edited:
I've rode on country lanes with a rigid MTB and been fine. And on a tourer (700x28 tyres) Steel frame and forks. Even on a road bike also.

You probably don't do enough miles, or you've got the seat too high (more weight on your arms)

If your journey is miles on cobble stones then I'd get a suspension bike, probably front suspension maybe full if the rear wheel bounces around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom