Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a quick price check on that Stumpy, and it can be built for around £3300 if you shop around. Why would you want to sell it if you've only just bought it, especially if you're standing to make a significant loss on it?

Go for it! Can't sell it here mind, not that Don's ever look in here ;)

Hey man how are you? Yeah im not looking to sell here, just enough out of the loop that im not sure what I could ask for it in the classifieds, as id rather avoid ebay.

Pic:
CA8HOTGF.jpg

Spec:
06 Enduro
Fox Talas 36 - Mojo'd
DHX3 - Mojo'd
Hope M4s
Hope pro ii/mavic 321 (i think) FW, shimano/specialized RW
Spesh finishing kit
WTB saddle
X9 rear, LX front
x7 shifters
Truativ stylo cranks
Blackspire bash
V8's
Maxxis high rollers

Barely ridden really, all bits that wear down (pads, discs, etc) are as new :)

Hey, I'd thought I'd post here as I wasn't get much reply on my other thread...

I'm got my £1000 Evans Cycles voucher now (came yesterday, yay!) to buy a bike through the Ride2Work scheme and I wanna get the best valued pound per pound hardtail bike for £1000.

I'm quite confused as to which bike to get as all the best £1000 hard tail mountain bikes seem to be Merlin or On One bikes which I can't buy from Evans Cycles.

So put simply... What is the best £1000 hardtail bike from Evans Cycles ONLY?

I'm aware of the different hardtail bikes that are out there but to be honest, I would be using it more for commuting but also wanna go on the odd mountain and jump (but not mad jumps).

So, I'm more after a lightweight racy type of hardtail bike that handles well and accelerates well too.

Is this any good... GT Zaskar Expert 2008 Mountain Bike

Are there any other hardtail bikes (definitely not full suspension please,) that you can recommend to me for £1k from Evans Cycles?

Many thanks to all replies in advance.

P.S. Please don't take the mickey outta me but this will be my 1st bike in 22 years. I'll be using this hard tail mountain bike for general off track use and commuting on the street.

I really don't know anything about bikes (at all now) since I got outta the bike scene when my BMX got nicked!

Where I live the country roads are bumpy, hence the reason getting a full suspension mountain bike that could give a smooth quick ride.

oooo, the luxury. I cycle down country roads to work on a Giant TCR. The rattling wakes you up. I was positive first time i rode it work i'd snap the forks or break something due to the state of the roads. The last 3 miles are hell, since the road borders Lancashire and Cumbria and i dont think either council will fix it!

I have a steel road bike thats light and fast, but takes away road buzz and the build is strong enough to let me bunny hop etc without any worries. Its even gone down steps a few times. Seems a good compromise :)

Bike%20Stuff
Image156.jpg

Thomson Elite seat post came, and a friend kindly bought me some V brake fork blankers. Chucked it on quick, haven't really played around with the adjustment quite yet. Just waiting for the bars and a new helmet.

Managed to break mine yesterday. :( No super crash to report, had just nipped to a mates house on the bike, took the lid off and rested it on a Guinea pig hutch.
Wind caught it and blew it off, *crack* and there goes the lid. Gutted. :(

So put simply... What is the best £1000 hardtail bike from Evans Cycles ONLY?
'Best' is a subjective term, but for the money I'd be looking at the Saracen Zen 3.

Good frame, great spec and would fit your 'mountain and jump' criteria well. Only problem is you'd need to swap the tyres for commuting as those High Rollers will not be suitable in the slightest.

Lowe; how can you ride that when your saddle is almost above your rear axle and your bars/stem are so high? Doesn't it feel slightly unstable?

Last edited:
Thomson Elite seat post came, and a friend kindly bought me some V brake fork blankers. Chucked it on quick, haven't really played around with the adjustment quite yet. Just waiting for the bars and a new helmet.

Managed to break mine yesterday. :( No super crash to report, had just nipped to a mates house on the bike, took the lid off and rested it on a Guinea pig hutch.
Wind caught it and blew it off, *crack* and there goes the lid. Gutted. :(

youch look at the angle on that :eek: nice seatpost though have one myself :D
might want to zip-tie that rear brake hose up a bit, dunno if it's dangerous like that but it'd look neater.
umm that's not a zip-tie on the fork stanction is it? might not be the best place for it really?

Like I say - have only just chucked it on quickly, haven't played with the adjustment much yet because it was about to lash it down! :)

The rear brake run has to sit like that sadly, it looks like Hayes were at the end of the cable barrel when they made up my kit. It won't fit to the brackets on the rear triangle.

The front fork has a cable guide from CRC. It wouldn't fit on the top of the fork, and I've never ever seen the fork compress completely to the top, or even come close even with the correct pressures in it. If it comes close I'd worry, but for now it's OK. :)

/edit:

Adjusted:

Image157.jpg

Might have overdone it there a little, but it's a lot better than it was. Another thing to take into account is I'm quite tall, but prefer a smaller frame - so whilst it may look a little unbalanced, it feels fine for me. :)

Last edited:
The rear brake run has to sit like that sadly, it looks like Hayes were at the end of the cable barrel when they made up my kit. It won't fit to the brackets on the rear triangle.
You've got Stroker Rides, haven't you? Bloody annoying that they don't come with an adjustable banjo housing so you can rotate it to route the cable through the hose guides on your seat-stay.

The front fork has a cable guide from CRC. It wouldn't fit on the top of the fork, and I've never ever seen the fork compress completely to the top, or even come close even with the correct pressures in it. If it comes close I'd worry, but for now it's OK. :)
On the subject of this, does anyone know how the hose guide you get supplied with Rock Shox forks (specifically the Revelations) works? I'm at a loss.

I just bought a new bike, had a £500 budget and went to the spesh shop looking for a rockhopper...

However, some where along the lines I ended up with an Orange G3 :confused:

Been riding it every day for a week now and absolutely love it! What are peoples opinions on this bike? To be honest I bought it without researching it as I spent most of my time reading about the Rockhopper :p

You can be honest, I love it and nothing you can say will change my mind :p

oh... pics to follow!

Both the Trails and the Carbons have the adjustable routing. Shame they couldn't see fit to have it on all three models.

My forks came with this little piece of black plastic as a hose guide... but I have no idea how to use it!

hoseui7.jpg

The black plastic bit is obviously designed for the hose to run through it (horizontally in the above image) with the zip-tie over the top of that (vertically in the above image) but the back of it isn't flat. it's got a slight curve to it... but I don't know where on the forks that's supposed to fit neatly. I've been pulling my hair out over this!

Currently I've got my hose set up like this:

pbpic433744pj9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom