Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed GloryOwner has been permabanned!??
If you are still trawling around mate, add me to skype (sup3rc0w) or msn deonfouche at gmail dot com.

Saw your for sale threads on southerndownhill

Busy watching the weather today as thunderstorms roll through. Doing a 40 mile MTB race tomorrow and undecided on tyre choice. 4-5 hours at a racing pace should be interesting.
Finished in 4hr30mins, I'm tired now. I had a monster crash just 5 miles in and thought I'd broken a bone. Carried on and the only other drama was totally cramped legs with 4 miles left.

Finished in 4hr30mins, I'm tired now. I had a monster crash just 5 miles in and thought I'd broken a bone. Carried on and the only other drama was totally cramped legs with 4 miles left.

Thought you broke a bone and still carried on, thats some going :p

Ive got to get a car pretty soon and save up for a 'decent' bike to get out and about, try and break some bones :p

Fair play 6th. :)

I had an off yesterday, straight over the bars on a slow, but very steep section. Was probably doing all of 3mph and just caught a root wrong. Was a super slow mo bender but because of the steepness I just couldn't get it back. Bike was fine, I've been left with a tasty gouge out my shins (just had brand new DMR V8's) and a bruised hip bone. Feeling sore this morning - mainly my ego though, couldn't believe I fell off at that speed! I mean, I'm pretty poor at descending to be honest more of a confidence thing I think but 3mph!? :D

Fair play 6th. :)

I had an off yesterday, straight over the bars on a slow, but very steep section. Was probably doing all of 3mph and just caught a root wrong. Was a super slow mo bender but because of the steepness I just couldn't get it back. Bike was fine, I've been left with a tasty gouge out my shins (just had brand new DMR V8's) and a bruised hip bone. Feeling sore this morning - mainly my ego though, couldn't believe I fell off at that speed! I mean, I'm pretty poor at descending to be honest more of a confidence thing I think but 3mph!? :D

Travelling so slowly could be why you crashed. When you brake your suspension is compressed and your weight is pushed forward making it more likely to go over the bars. Dragging the brakes also makes it harder for the bike to clear obstacles Learning to stay off the brakes is one of the best things you can do to improve your riding. Letting the bike roll makes it much easier to get over rough ground. If you find yourself grabbing the brakes all the time try wrapping your hands around the bars, you can still reach the brakes easily when you need to but wont be tempted to drag the brakes.

Like you say it is a confidence thing but let the bike do the work for you. Training myself to stay off the brakes when not needed has been the biggest improvement I've made to my riding.

Travelling so slowly could be why you crashed. When you brake your suspension is compressed and your weight is pushed forward making it more likely to go over the bars. Dragging the brakes also makes it harder for the bike to clear obstacles Learning to stay off the brakes is one of the best things you can do to improve your riding. Letting the bike roll makes it much easier to get over rough ground. If you find yourself grabbing the brakes all the time try wrapping your hands around the bars, you can still reach the brakes easily when you need to but wont be tempted to drag the brakes.

Like you say it is a confidence thing but let the bike do the work for you. Training myself to stay off the brakes when not needed has been the biggest improvement I've made to my riding.

Yeah the speed was definitely the reason I came off. It was a totally new piece of trail for me, and it also wasn't clear exactly where the track lay since it's a little off the beaten track. A friend was in front of me easing his way down (without issue I might add) so I just followed suit. I wasn't dragging the front brake in particular on that section, was just using the rear to keep the bike under control with my bum virtually over the rear cassette as far back as I could manage.

Confidence is my issue at the moment on all downhill sections of the trails we ride, I have enough issues riding basic drop offs, let alone proper downhill sections. It'll come with practice I guess, just in the meanwhile the practice is pretty painful lol. :)

Heres my Orbea Mitis frame with mavic wheels, conti gp force tyres and campag chorus groupset throughout :)

117778bf.jpg

414d3db4.jpg

a2bd4816.jpg

43b1c215.jpg

dd7e7e60.jpg

bf39c06d.jpg

I see you spammed another forun ;-)
I would consider a saddle, if you do 40 miles and it feels like you a thing stuck up your bottom. Have a Team Pro on my racer and it's fantastic, even when it's brand new (supposed to be uncomfy as it moulds over time) it was the most comfy saddle I ever sat on, once it shapes to your bones it'll be even better. The problem with plastic/gel saddles is they never change shape.

Bought myself a RockShox Totem Solo Air for my Specialized SX trail.
Thinking I might have been a bit rash, and should have gone for the coil.

It's an ebay purchase so cant really send it back (new but from private seller), but does anyon think I made a bad move and should have gone for the coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom