Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to ride with a club. 50 miles a week commuting, then anything from 10 to 40 miles a week off road regularly in north Scotland. Just now I ride 20 miles a week commuting and anything from 5 to 30 (now and again)off road with friends. Hoping to up that significantly though.

Hey guys, need a bit of advice from the fellow DHers. I received my new handlebar today (Raceface Atlas AM), but the rise is smaller than the stock handlebar. The stock HB has a 1.5" rise and the Atlas has a 0.75" rise. Do you think this will affect the way the bike rides in a negative way?

Also, I completely overlooked the fact that it's designed for AM use. Should I send it back and get a FR/DH HB or is it safe to use?

What bike is this going on?
Ther smaller rise will bring your riding postion/weight further forward which is not ideal for DH'ing.

If you're not happy then send it back for the DH model.

Last edited:
img1729o.jpg

I would go for the stroker trail out of the two. However, I'll probably go Shimano LX or maybe SLX if you can stretch to it.

Reason is I had a pair of hope mini, shimano deore and now a pair of hayes stroker carbon.

The hopes have very little power but very very good modulation. The hayes are very power but little modulation in comparison. However, I think the shimanos have the best balance between power and modulation. The Hfx is an older model and apparently have even less modulation than the trail.

I assum LX/SLX would be better than plain deore so I would probably go for the LX if I have the choice now.

I' ve got teh current XT, apparently the SLX are very nearly as good, which sounds like a recommendation to me ;) Though they've gone way up in price of course, SLX today is more than my XT was even with XTR discs...

A mate just had his Marin Quake 7.2 (alpine white) with Marzocchi 888 World Cup Forks stolen from the hull area, I know the chances are slim but if you see any thing let me know.

Last edited:
i thinking of getting a upgrade for my rockhopper 08 v break and thinking that the gear set might be the first thing to change, as its LZ/decore.

i thinking of getting this its XT set,
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=946&categoryId=84

but wondering: my back cassete is this

Shimano HG-50 9 speed with a 11-34 tooth range.

and my chainset is this

Shimano FC-MM442-8. Replaceable rings with alloy outer and Octalink spline.

will i need to upgrade those as well if i want to get XT geat kit? need some advise on what i should do.

that the gear set might be the first thing to change, as its LZ/decore.

will i need to upgrade those as well if i want to get XT geat kit? need some advise on what i should do.

You mean LX / Deore ;)

No need to change your Cassette or Chainset- you can mix and match those :)

Nothing much wrong with LX mind... It's not glam but it does the job. I'd say leave it alone personally. If you must upgrade it, SLX makes more sense than XT, you get most of the performance for less money.

Whats the cause when you give it a good pull away from standing and you get the slipped chain thing when it makes a big bang and you seem to slip a tooth, cant be worn teeth my bikes only a few months old. Not jumping gears just slipping now and again, can be a right annoyance pulling away from the lights in 9th gear and all you hear is CLANG!, need better casette? hopper 09 disc comp as previous posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom