Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either that or you're not shifting gears properly like I wasn't. I was pushing hard on the pedals when shifting, making the gears make a snapping noise, which I a big no no as I found out.

I've only had my Stumpy since December '08 btw.

It could just be bad gear adjustment schnipps- that can be caused by the chain starting to walk onto the next cog then falling back to the old one, bang. But it's more usually chain stretch. Shouldn't be with that age unless it's done a load of miles or been really neglected...

Mine does that, need to fiddle with the derailleur some more.

Was a gorgeous evening tonight, went out and did 15 miles up to a local nature reserve before tea. BST rocks :cool:

What's up guys, I'm really liking some of the bikes in this thread! I've been waiting for months to finish this, but the tyres/saddle were waiting for me to get back from uni. So, here it is..

img6469.jpg

img6473.jpg

img6477k.jpg

A fellow on-one 456 rider!

It is definitely the best bike I have owned. It is so very chuckable and still one of the best climber. Only draw back is the that the bottom bracket is a bit high affecting my low speed stability but who needs to slow down when you can fly through everything?:cool:

You need to get some dirt on that bike btw;)

Here's mine:

In the Winter:

Today after my ride in the local woods:

Half thinking of swapping to a 456, or maybe a Cotic Soul, myself... Got an On One Scandal just now, but at 130mm it's a wee bit not right, all a bit vague and waggy on climbs... Doesn't help that I'm riding a small with a huge long seatpost I think :D But OTOH it's about 25% lighter than a 456, and I'm really unfit...

A fellow on-one 456 rider!

It is definitely the best bike I have owned. It is so very chuckable and still one of the best climber. Only draw back is the that the bottom bracket is a bit high affecting my low speed stability but who needs to slow down when you can fly through everything?:cool:

You need to get some dirt on that bike btw;)

I'll agree with all that, it's a superb frame. It took a while for them to get stock, which usually seems to be the case, but the wait was worth it! I took it around my local forest this afternoon, it was a blast! I'll take it for a proper run over Easter though. Can't wait!

And that's the Summer Season, right? I always liked the look of those! That's a nice build you've got there.

Edit:

Northwind, I was considering the Cotic, but for the price of the 456 you can't go wrong. The frame is a little heavier than the Scandal, I doubt you'd notice it too much though. Besides, if it's a little heavier you'll get fitter quicker! I'm about 6' and running a medium frame, small enough to be flickable but not cramped!

And Bennah, the frame is £185 at the moment. On One will do the whole build for you though for a pretty good price. See http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/ if you havn't already. I'm not quite sure how much I spent on mine, some bits were second hand/off my previous bike.

The build:
On One 456 medium
Rockshox Revelation (20mm axle)
SLX groupset
Crank Brothers Sage headset
Hussefelt bar/stem
Mavic EX729 on DTSwiss spokes and Hope Pro IIs
SDG Bel Air saddle, FireEye seatpost/clamp
And the High Rollers, 2.5 supertacky front, 2.35 maxxpro rear

Last edited:
Seems a shame that Brant from On-One has now left the company, so I wonder what their future designs will bring and what his new company Tweak Bikes will release.
Yeah it is a shame really, do you know if there's any particular reason why he left? The last I heard of his new company was a deal with Lynskey to produce some Ti frames.

when going uphill on bike i useally use medium gear 4th back sprok, is this to high for normal hills/incline? sinse i try lower gear ie middle/middle and i get horrid clank/not nice sound from the gears any clues why this is? i do go out of saddly ofc, but i sure you can put some pressure on pedals without gears clanking right?

Yeah it is a shame really, do you know if there's any particular reason why he left? The last I heard of his new company was a deal with Lynskey to produce some Ti frames.

I spoke to him when I was choosing my Scandal, to be honest he just seemed bored... The 456 ti was done, which was the goal for ages, I asked if they had plans to do more alloy frames, maybe more "hardcore hardtail" rather than the current "Long travel but racey" and the response was pretty much "MEH" :) (I was holding out for an alloy 456 really) I mean, I don't know the guy at all but that was the impression, and he was known for his enthusiasm... But I think maybe On One had just done what he wanted to do with it.

Not that the Ragley looks particularily cutting edge, it seems to be more or less a ti 456 with extra gimmicks.

Last edited:
Bike build coming on:
imgp1803tn.jpg

Just waiting for the CRC parcel that has all the blooming tools :rolleyes: Plus I need to get it into the LBS to have a headset and the forks fitted... not going to be cheap comparatively, considering most of this is leftovers and Ebay kit...

Last edited:
Can someone list some rock shox forks in order of how good they are, from base to top model. I was just curious if i ever wanted to upgrade mine what options i would have.

Thanks

Can someone list some rock shox forks in order of how good they are, from base to top model. I was just curious if i ever wanted to upgrade mine what options i would have.

Thanks

As far as I know, by model:

XC
Dart

XC/AM
Tora
Recon

XC/AM
Reba
Revelation
Pike

AM/FR
Lyrik
Totem

DH
Boxxer

Depending on model thats how they tend to stack up, with the grouped forks being intended for different usage (eg Reba for XC, Rev for light AM, Pike for heavier AM)

Oh, and you can split them further by sub model, eg SL, Team etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom