Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for some new tyres, and ive noticed a lot of Panaracers on peoples bikes from the pics, so are the fire xc pro kevlar the ones to go for?

Also to carry on from my most recent question about the Dart2 forks, they are horrid, the adjustments hardly work, the lockout is very iffy, sometimes it locks, others it wont. Now im looking to get these replaced, and these caught my eye Tora 302s 80mm Any thoughts?

Just got myself my first steel frame since '95

onone1.jpg

onone2.jpg

I've always disliked the way alloy bikes ride so looking forward to building this one up! Now that I have a Meta 55 for the rough stuff think I'll appreciate a hard tail more on the less gnarly trails.

Its a nice frame, I just built this up for my bro as have replaced this for a full sus. Still a very nice frame : - )

Now im looking to get these replaced, and these caught my eye Tora 302s 80mm Any thoughts?

Toras are great, heavy but very strong, decent damping too... I had the 130mm 302 in my old bike for a while and it really did the job. The damping isn't sophisticated but it works. Not sure they're ideal for such short travel since they're madly beefy, in 130mm that's an asset but at this size it's just weight really.

That must be brand new. it ever been offroad? :)

I just swapped my Charge Spoon, was hurting my ass.

Also how did you get your Strada around the stem? mine wouldnt fit so i had to handle bar mount it.

Additionally... Take the elastic band off your forks, and the yellow safety instructions tape off the inside of your brake levers :)

Hi guys.

I am looking for a new bike, by using the ride2work scheme I get a £1000 voucher and can apparently top up the rest at the store.

But what to buy. I would like an all mountain bike so that I can actually get up hills to ride down but don't want a wussy full XC bike. ;)

Being restricted to Evans cycles is a bit annoying, Especially as I was considering an 08 bike for better value as I don't really want to spend more than 2k.

Kona CoilAir Supreme 08 is £2200 which seems a bargain it is a £2700 bike and the 09 version which has better forks is £4400!!! (Probably also exchange rate related) Raceface / XT all over.

09 Trek Remedy 7 looks nice but is under spec by comparison and 8 is a bit expensive.

Shame I can't afford an Specialized FSR Carbon either. :(

So any recommendations? Should I get the Kona and risk this weird Magic Link or get a lower spec alternative. I am going to go and test them out next weekend but need more options.

Ta.

Last edited:
I'd try the Lapierre Spicy 316. Perhaps a lower spec but it has great forks and a fantastic frame.

The Kona comes with Marzocchi forks which in 08 had a terrible terrible reputation for failure. Avoid.

Hi guys.

I am looking for a new bike, by using the ride2work scheme I get a £1000 voucher and can apparently top up the rest at the store.

But what to buy. I would like an all mountain bike so that I can actually get up hills to ride down but don't want a wussy full XC bike. ;)

Being restricted to Evans cycles is a bit annoying, Especially as I was considering an 08 bike for better value as I don't really want to spend more than 2k.

Kona CoilAir Supreme 08 is £2200 which seems a bargain it is a £2700 bike and the 09 version which has better forks is £4400!!! (Probably also exchange rate related) Raceface / XT all over.

09 Trek Remedy 7 looks nice but is under spec by comparison and 8 is a bit expensive.

So any recommendations? Should I get the Kona and risk this weird Magic Link or get a lower spec alternative. I am going to go and test them out next weekend but need more options.

Ta.

Specialized Pitch (non pro) or http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

That must be brand new. it ever been offroad? :)

I just swapped my Charge Spoon, was hurting my ass.

Also how did you get your Strada around the stem? mine wouldnt fit so i had to handle bar mount it.

Additionally... Take the elastic band off your forks, and the yellow safety instructions tape off the inside of your brake levers :)

Yup it is pretty much brand new....I only got it recently after your recommendations in another thread i made.

Not really had chance to to ride it yet.

love it so far though.:D

Yup it is pretty much brand new....I only got it recently after your recommendations in another thread i made.

Not really had chance to to ride it yet.

love it so far though.:D

Im impressed you even managed to get ahold of one mate. Well done :)

Brown Charge Spoon suits the bike great, ive now got a black and white SDG Bellair RL seat on mine, looks okay but not quite as smart!

Your gonna have to get it to a local trail centre and test it out properly mate !

Kona bikes are massively overpriced to start with so reductions just bring them into line with everyone else.

In your budget my choice would be a Trek Remedy 7, the spec is pretty decent; Shimano SLX, Juicy 5’s, RockShox Lyrik and Fox shock. You can always upgrade it when parts wear out.
Lapierre Spicy 316 is also worth checking out

Or my bike; 2008 Specialized Enduro SL Pro Carbon - now reduced to £2k : Bargain !!!

specialized-enduro-fsr-pro-carbon-2008-mountain-bike.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/enduro-fsr-pro-carbon-2008-mountain-bike-ec001429

It'd be worth checking this btw, most of these schemes specifically prohibit topping up, IIRC the £1000 limit is built into the tax-break rules. Just before you set your sights on something, it'd be worth making sure.

Nice and pleased with Avid, my Code brakes had been faulty for ages having been ridden hard all last year. Sent back just the levers and calipers for service a couple of weeks ago, they sent back two new boxed brakes, plenty of spare rotors now :D

Ruined my colour scheme though, old ones were white, new ones are galvanized.

Thanks for your help guys, I will be looking at the 08 Carbon, it is a very nice bike nice on its own but not as nice as the 09. :P

Where as the Kona 09 is exactly the same looks wise. I know it is shallow but so am I. :)

Are the forks that bad? like they all break like Xbox 360s eventually kind of thing or just a few unlucky people? Also the 09 version has a different size head tube or something, will this cause issues if I upgrade the forks?

Or get the Trek Remedy 7 and slowly upgrade the other bits.

As for a bike over 1k, the pdf I got from our HR dept says

"although you can buy bikes and accessories that cost
more than this if you top up the difference yourself when you collect
the bike."

However I have to email them the model number and price which seems odd considering it is just a 1k voucher. why do they care? Either way will be phoning Evans to confirm what is in stock at my local store. so will ask.

Quite funny ordering a 2k mountain bike when I live a 1 hour drive away along tarmac roads. :D

Anyone here ride in the Peak District? Did the Bradwell Circuit last weekend, some good climbs and top descending, tricky terrain in parts though for a budget (£500) hardtail. The last section (Cave Dale) was a rocky, slimy river bed in parts that forced a dismount, I'd love to see someone ride it, you'd need an all-mountain bike and a lot of verve.

I love ascents almost as much as going down, am I sadistic or just plain odd?

Anyone here ride in the Peak District? Did the Bradwell Circuit last weekend, some good climbs and top descending, tricky terrain in parts though for a budget (£500) hardtail. The last section (Cave Dale) was a rocky, slimy river bed in parts that forced a dismount, I'd love to see someone ride it, you'd need an all-mountain bike and a lot of verve.

I love ascents almost as much as going down, am I sadistic or just plain odd?

My mate rides the peaks regularly. Hes obsessed with climbs. hes a proper Climb Pervert and it freaks me out! lol.

Ill point him at this thread as he browses the forums occasionally. He was telling me the other day he sourced a great trail there. So maybe you guys could meet for a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom