Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Its my birthday on wednesday and I'm getting a golf mkIV on the day we're going up to coed y brenin but need some way of getting the bikes in the golf.
Can you recommend a bike rack for a golf mkiv for not too much money, <- having said that I dont have a clue how much they are

thanks

Another RidetoWork question.

Just been offered the scheme with my new job. I am allowed to spend up to £1k, and figured I may as well spend the lot as it's 40% discount.

I'll need a bike, all gear including headgear, multi-tool, underseat pouch, pump, light set, road tyres, lock, possibly shorts, jacket and maybe some high-vis stuff.

I have been looking at Specialized Rockhoppers - Good for the £££?

I'll be using the bike for communiting 2/3 times a week (approx 30mile round trip) and offroading whenever I can. It's first offroad trip will be the Lakes fairly soon :)

I was also wanting to keep it in my room. Either on some kind of wall fitting or an alluminium stand or something.

Spec me to death please guys!

Here's some photos of my SXT with the new bits on. :D

P1000682.jpg

P1000683.jpg

Do any of you guys ever do a lot of cycling on road with yer MTB?

What average speeds do you get? Some guy who is apparently good at TT's managed about 21mph AVG on a MTB with slicks over like 30 miles, I never thought that was possible on MTB's :eek::eek::eek:

I ride on the road a bit on my hopper, fastest i have done is about 31.5mph and thats pretty much as fast as i think i could go without launching off a roof, i also dont think i would want to go any faster but averaging 21 is nuts!!

The Gold SX II looks awesome !!!

Thanks for your help guys, I will be looking at the 08 Carbon, it is a very nice bike nice on its own but not as nice as the 09. :P

I tested an 09 model in Feb - the Fox fork is nice but nothing beats the Specialized E150 stiffness.

Do any of you guys ever do a lot of cycling on road with yer MTB?

I commute on it when there's a threat of snow or ice, but had to face up to the fact that a grand's worth of hardtail is worse on the road than my brother's ancient £50 road bike, so got myself one of those. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the mtb too.

Hmmm, I found out why the guy could do 22 average on a MTB, it turns out his average over a 10 mile was around 31. something mph on a road bike, I managed 30mph solid today over 2 or 3 miles but its the best I can do and I was nearly sick afterwards :p

Oh and talking of bikes, I did the cheshire cat 09 Sportive starting from Knutsford near Manchester and have some pics of me riding my actual bike:

Was a great ride, apparently over 1400 riders.

cliftonlogo.png

downhill.png

memowcop.png

memowcop2.png

That was climbing Mow Cop, a 25% climb.

Last edited:
my friend has one, he got it with his job at halfords.

+ can anyone help with my bike rack question?

Hi, Its my birthday on wednesday and I'm getting a golf mkIV on the day we're going up to coed y brenin but need some way of getting the bikes in the golf.
Can you recommend a bike rack for a golf mkiv for not too much money, <- having said that I dont have a clue how much they are

thanks
Cheers

Also how did you get your Strada around the stem? mine wouldnt fit so i had to handle bar mount it.

Only just fitted the strada ...no problems with fitting it round the stem.

Out of interest what wheel size did you put in on the strada setup:confused:

Thanks

If you're inputting a wheelsize you should measure it yourself as different tyres can alter the rolling circumference of the wheel.

Rotate the wheel to put the innertube stem at the bottom and mark the ground, roll the bike forward in a straight line until the wheel does one complete revolution, so the innertube stem is at the bottom again. Mark the ground again and measure the distance between the two points in mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom